March 29, 2024, 11:39:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MIDI control of tempo factor  (Read 5236 times)

ASch

MIDI control of tempo factor
« on: November 14, 2012, 11:56:33 am »
I've just been investigating MIDI control of tempo factor in the sequencers.  If it's documented, I couldn't find it.  Anyway, I figured out some values that work, so to save others the trouble:

Tempo Factor     CC Value
 2                          0
7/4                       7
3/2                     13
5/4                     20
 1                        26
3/4                     33
1/2                     39
1/4                     46
1/4T                   52
1/8                     59
1/8T                   65
1/16                   72
1/16T                 78
1/32                   85
1/32T                 91
1/64                   98
1/64T               104
1/128               111
1/128T             117
1/256               124

I don't think there are any typos in there and these values work for me.  Hope this is useful  :)

Andreas

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
Re: MIDI control of tempo factor
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 03:40:54 pm »

Nice!
Since we're talking about MIDI CC control - is it possible to control parameters in the four programs of a Multi simultaneously via MIDI CC? Or only the one that is currently "active"? It seems to be possible to assign each of the four programs a different CC map (so CC assignments don't overlap between the four programs). But I haven't been able to control all four at the same time yet.

ASch

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 07:50:30 pm »
I don't see why not...

Overlapping the CC isn't a problem, just make sure that each slot is on a different control channel. I regularly send messages to slots that are not the current focus, so that's not a problem.

It's a bit odd because there seem to be two different channels associated with a slot - one from the zone assignment and one given as the control channel.  I'm still trying to figure out all the implications of that oddity, but different messages go through different channels, so sustain, keyboard notes and a few other things go through the zone assigned channel and other CC go through the control channel.  It's a bit annoying actually...

Andreas

Philippe

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 08:38:44 am »
Each program can use its own midi mapping (the used midi mapping is saved as a parameter of the preset).

A slot of a MULTI uses 2 midi channels:
1- a "NOTE" channel: this concerns NOTE ON, NOTE OFF, pitch wheel and mod wheel (and I think also the ribbon on a keyboard but not sure)
2- a "CONTROL" channel: any other CCs

These 2 channels are distinct in order to be able to independently control a slot in a MULTI where all slots are layered. You play one note on the "NOTE" channel and this trig a sound on each slot. You send a CC on a "CONTROL" channel and this will modify the associated parameters only on the slot(s) with the same "CONTROL" channel.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:41:20 am by Philippe »
Origin Lead  Developer

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 08:20:10 pm »
Thanks Andreas and Philippe, good information!

Overlapping the CC isn't a problem, just make sure that each slot is on a different control channel.

How do I do that? Do you mean, make sure each slot listens on a different MIDI channel (i.e. 1 - 16)?

ASch

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 08:37:24 pm »
Thanks Andreas and Philippe, good information!

Overlapping the CC isn't a problem, just make sure that each slot is on a different control channel.

How do I do that? Do you mean, make sure each slot listens on a different MIDI channel (i.e. 1 - 16)?

Yes, in the slots tab of the multi window you can assign the MIDI control channel for each slot.  I always set them to 1, 2, 3 & 4 from left to right.

Andreas

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 04:43:37 am »

It works! Fantastic!
I don't even need to change the CC mappings in Origin, I can just use the "Origin Default" CC mapping for each of the four slots, because they're on separate MIDI channels!

Being able to control volume levels and pan for all 16 programs in a Multi from one MIDI controller interface makes a huge difference especially in live performance situations and when you have Multi's where there is a lot going on in each of the four slots.

Now I just wish there was a compact MIDI controller that had 16 sliders and 16 knobs...

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines