March 28, 2024, 09:34:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Silent Presets  (Read 8396 times)

MarkA

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Silent Presets
« on: August 03, 2005, 06:34:34 pm »
OK, this is a really basic, novice question, but please bear with me...

I have just installed the CS-80V, and am pleased so far!  But, some of the presets are silent.  For instance, "D.D_SextantLead" barely whispers. Same with "D.D_DaleesLead" and others.  Now, I have been programming synths for years, so thought it was an obvious thing like a controller - but I can't get these sounds to, well, sound...

In addition, some presets sound nothing like I would expect from their names - "C.L_Piano1" sounds nothing like a piano, for instance.

If anyone can enlighted me as to what I am doing wrong, I would be most grateful!

This is CS-80V vsn 1.0 out of the box, immediately updated to 1.5.

Many thanks,

MA.

RB

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Silent Presets
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 04:59:32 pm »
Hi Mark,

Well, some of the more experienced people can probably explain better, but I noticed some silent presets with the 1.5 version also.  I think that in most every case, I discovered the two buttons to the left of the sustain time slider ("exp" and "wah", I think, in the effects section) were depressed.  When I switched those buttons off, the preset was at normal volume.  So give that a try and see if that's what's causing the silence.

As for some sounds not sounding like they should, that may be due to the major changes in version 1.5.  With version 1.5, many of the presets no longer sounded like they did before version 1.5.  If memory serves, I think part of it was the saw wave was much more prominent now, or the changes to the ring modulator may also cause some of that.  Some of the others here would be much better at explaining that, though.

Cheers,

Rob

MarkA

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Silent Presets
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 05:47:27 pm »
Excellent - that was it. It was always bound to something obvious...must connect a pedal to the KX88!

Now to sort out those odd presets...

Thanks!

MA.

RB

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Silent Presets
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 09:05:13 pm »
You're welcome, I'm glad that I could help!  Good luck with the presets!

Cheers,

Rob

MarkA

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Silent Presets
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 10:59:39 am »
Connecting a pedal worked.  Odd - as it's one of the first things I had thought of, and I had tried (I thought) sending pedal commands from my sequencer...

It's a lovely thing to play with, though I have to get my head around it - it's a long time since I played "the real thing", and I've probably forgotten more than I ever knew about it.

I wonder if some of the preset designers have revisited their presets since the 1.5 update, as some of these presets bear very little relation to their names, which is odd (pianos especially).  If the sound changes are due to software changes, it's a little bit worrying as it makes you wonder what will happen to sounds we program now in the future...

MA.

RB

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Silent Presets
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 04:33:47 pm »
Regarding the 1.5 presets, I know, I am still upset at finding some of my favorite pre-1.5 sounds now being very different, and not having the expertise to go and be able to either put them back as they sounded, or make a new preset that sounds the old way.

It is a lot to ask, but I do wish that the sound designers could do something like what you're asking and make new preset banks for version 1.5.  The best of both worlds would be to have the synth at version 1.5 but yet be able to have a set of banks or a switch or something to be able to hear the pre-1.5 sounds AND the post-1.5 sounds active at the same time.

While I respect and appreciate all the hard work that went into 1.5, I can't understand how it was allowed to overwrite sounds that we had all grown used to, and had favorites of, over nearly 2 years before.  I would have rather had something like an additional set of banks to stack on top of the old sounds.  But that's just my opinion, and I share your concerns about future changes...

Rob

daniel78

• Apprentice
Silent Presets
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 11:46:12 pm »
Quote from: "RB"
Regarding the 1.5 presets, I know, I am still upset at finding some of my favorite pre-1.5 sounds now being very different, and not having the expertise to go and be able to either put them back as they sounded, or make a new preset that sounds the old way.

It is a lot to ask, but I do wish that the sound designers could do something like what you're asking and make new preset banks for version 1.5.  The best of both worlds would be to have the synth at version 1.5 but yet be able to have a set of banks or a switch or something to be able to hear the pre-1.5 sounds AND the post-1.5 sounds active at the same time.

While I respect and appreciate all the hard work that went into 1.5, I can't understand how it was allowed to overwrite sounds that we had all grown used to, and had favorites of, over nearly 2 years before.  I would have rather had something like an additional set of banks to stack on top of the old sounds.  But that's just my opinion, and I share your concerns about future changes...

Rob

Yeah, its very dissapointing. The general sound of 1.5 is better, but most of the presets no longer sound as they were intended, or as you say, like we have become used to. In fact, many of them now sound rather poor - which surely can not be a good selling point to potential customers.

I find i rarely use v1.5 at all. I've kept the 1.2 .dll and use that instead. Its not that i only want to use presets, but i find them to be a good  starting point for ideas.

Saying that, one thing i've noticed can make 1.5 patches sound more like their 1.2 counterparts, is adjusting the brilliance slider(s). It seems the strength of the brilliance effect has changed in the update, and increasing it can sometimes be helpful trying to get the old sound back.

I'm still hoping for new 1.5 versions of the preset banks, but its not looking likely at this point :(

omissis

Silent Presets
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 01:46:23 pm »
Quote from: "daniel78"
Quote from: "RB"

Rob

Yeah, its very dissapointing. The general sound of 1.5 is better, but most of the presets no longer sound as they were intended, or as you say, like we have become used to. In fact, many of them now sound rather poor - which surely can not be a good selling point to potential customers.

I find i rarely use v1.5 at all. I've kept the 1.2 .dll and use that instead. Its not that i only want to use presets, but i find them to be a good  starting point for ideas.

Saying that, one thing i've noticed can make 1.5 patches sound more like their 1.2 counterparts, is adjusting the brilliance slider(s). It seems the strength of the brilliance effect has changed in the update, and increasing it can sometimes be helpful trying to get the old sound back.

I'm still hoping for new 1.5 versions of the preset banks, but its not looking likely at this point :(

I have noticed differences too in 1.5 but I surely prefer how it sounds nowcompared to vers. 1.2; I simply deleted all the factory presets without deleting the "original " presets because I just want that my sounds can be only "mine" :wink:
I feel like pushing you to free yourself from presets ( if you had an original CS-80 you only had 22 presets and 4 user memories :!:  :!:  :!:  :!: ) and begin to live jam with the synthesizer, you will be able to make dozens of sounds in minutes, CS-80V and it's hardware model were basically designed to be played live!
On the other hands I feel like proposing to Arturians a vaste user base of sounds for registered users , if only the uploading was possible!!!
Cheerz
Max

a CS-80Vist

daniel78

• Apprentice
Silent Presets
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 08:52:50 pm »
Quote from: "omissis"

I have noticed differences too in 1.5 but I surely prefer how it sounds nowcompared to vers. 1.2; I simply deleted all the factory presets without deleting the "original " presets because I just want that my sounds can be only "mine" :wink:
I feel like pushing you to free yourself from presets ( if you had an original CS-80 you only had 22 presets and 4 user memories :!:  :!:  :!:  :!: ) and begin to live jam with the synthesizer, you will be able to make dozens of sounds in minutes, CS-80V and it's hardware model were basically designed to be played live!
On the other hands I feel like proposing to Arturians a vaste user base of sounds for registered users , if only the uploading was possible!!!
Cheerz

I agree mostly with what you're saying- it shouldn't all be about the presets. I just think they are a hugely valuable resource. For the less experienced sound designers amongst us, they provide - if nothing else - a great starting point for creating new sounds. There's stuff in there that i'd have had no idea how to create by myself, or wouldn't have even thought it was possible to create.

Sharing presets would be fantastic - what is it that's stopping this right now?

omissis

Silent Presets
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 09:00:58 pm »
Really don't know what lies in the forum code that prevents the upload of presets but if you subscribe to the CS-80V group at Yahoo you'll find some new and of course you can upload yours  :wink:  :!:  :!:
Max

a CS-80Vist

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines