March 28, 2024, 09:25:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Midi export means loosing Shuffle, Accent and Automation data? What to do?  (Read 6647 times)

anomsel

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Hallo,

I just bought my Spark and I´m verry confused, that midi-export means to loose all recorded informations exept midi-notes and velocity...
Midi -Export doesn´t make any sense to me, if you loose all your dynamic-data like Shuffle and Accent.

I think my problem is similar this post which was mentionend before: http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/index.php?topic=5818.msg19217#msg19217.

Kevins Answer was:
If you export the patterns in the DAW, the best is to record automation in the DAW too.
Another way is to assign MIDI note to the pattern button.
Then you can record the pattern change in your DAW and don't need to export them in MIDI.

First point is not a good idea: If I export my patterns in the DAW to record the automation in DAW, I will loose my "Shuffle"

Second point sounds interesting, but I dont know how to do that in Cubase 6... I understood that the aim must be to play and record a midinote in the DAW and Spark plays a assigned pattern. Change note means change pattern... And: recording automation in the DAW should be possible to, i think. Can you give me an introduction how to asign Midi to pattern button?

Sorry, but let me make it perfectly clear that it is a great dissappontment that midi export is reduced in that way. And it is not fair that you are promoting spark with "Spark includes a feature to export your patterns in .wav and MIDI directly in your DAW. Simply drag and drop any pattern from your current kit and it will be automatically rendered in the format of your choice. This becomes very handy when you are working with loops and want to quickly use an idea in the context of a full production." You are not able to export full data of pattern... You loose exactly  those which makes the Spark sound like a drummaschine.

Hope you will solve this problem soon.

Thanks!

Dennis

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:22:59 am by anomsel »

anomsel

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: midi export means loosing Shuffle, Accent and Automation informations????
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 10:12:26 am »
I just recognized: Audio-Export via Drag and Drop doesn´t work in my Cubase 6 too: Spark is rendering, Cubase asks to copy audio file to project folder... and... nothing happens. No audio-file appears.

is that because I´m using different outputs of Spark?

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:27:54 pm by anomsel »

Seb

• Tech-Support
Re: Midi export means loosing Shuffle, Accent and Automation data? What to do?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 05:07:15 pm »
In Spark preferences, check "send midi from sequencer", in your host, add a midi track that recieves midi from Spark, record. The pattern will be recorded to your midi track. It will keep the shuffle amount, velocity value, accent on/off. (This is very easy to do in Ableton Live... I wouldn't know how to do it in other sequencers)
This method is a bit more complex than drag and drop, but it's the only workaround I can see right now.

For Drag&Drop of patterns with/without Shuffle amount, given that every DAW has a shuffle function that is at least as complex as Spark's, I don't mind not having the shuffled notes when exporting the pattern, so that I can add - and modify - shuffle amount directly from the DAW.

As for your issue with audio export via drag and drop, you did notice that there was an option in preferences -> Midi Import/Export to choose whether you want to export as audio or midi when drag&dropping? I can't really help otherwise.

Hope this helps!

vaikl

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 11:06:11 pm »
Anomsel, may I ask you if you have quantisation on or off on the tracks where you want to copy/export/drag-and-drop MIDI patterns to?

anomsel

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 01:27:52 pm »
Hey, thanks for your replies!!!!

Record Midi via "send midi from sequenzer" seems to be a very good idea. This would be more complicated than I have expected but an aceptable alternative.  Will chack this our later. Thank you.

Midi quantization is turned of in my DAW.

vaikl

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 01:16:53 am »
Anomsel, just as an addition: Things like swing/shuffle/accent in patterns are basically dominated by a certain micro-precision that each hardware and DAW software has initially build in and could differ from product to product. A DAW's MIDI track will always be the master "template" for such data, so that i.e. a copied MIDI pattern from Spark or a MPC could sound differently from the original hardware.

The problem with Cubase is that Cubase isn't able to get in perfect sync with MIDI Clock that is generated by external devices, i.e. by Spark. The musical "grid" for MIDI clock is way too coarse to replicate all millisecond events. So be prepared to experience with your own parameters in Cubase or complete your project with Spark as the MIDI clock slave and render/import Spark's audio onto the mixed song.

anomsel

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 09:57:35 pm »
Hello, "send midi from sequenzer"  works fine. I´m happy with spark at the moment.

Thanks a lot!

Seb

• Tech-Support
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 01:37:25 pm »
Cool :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines