March 28, 2024, 01:19:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: who wants a Mg Modular Filterbank???  (Read 7123 times)

u.n.i.t.e.d

who wants a Mg Modular Filterbank???
« on: January 06, 2013, 02:55:18 pm »
this would be a huge enrichment for the origin because it is more flexible then a normal filter and i think it would sound great with the typical Mg character.
What do you think about it?

bigbrass

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: who wants a Mg Modular Filterbank???
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 05:52:13 pm »

I'm in !
I feel it would be a worthy addition to Origin as well. It'd be great for giving otherwise synthetic sounds that "woody" acoustic feel...
Here come cellos, violas, anything that has multiple scattered resonances at particular frequencies...
I also think that a Karplus-Strong algorithm could be implemented on Origin quite easily. It's not a dsp-hungry algorithm like a bandlimited oscillator or a filter. After all, simple KS implementations run on 8bit AVR microcontroller at puny 20mhz !
More so, since Origin is modular by design, Karplus-Strong could be split into modules as well: variable delay line, comb filter, allpass filter, etc..
Philippe, when can you start coding all this ?  ;)

P.S.
Yeah,  I know, it all sounds simple while sitting in front of a computer and writing a post... :)

Cord

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 01:06:01 am »
I rather have a WaveTable Oscillator! The one you can scan the wavetable with!

:P

synthguy99

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 12:08:07 pm »
I'm wondering how much more can be coded into the Origin.

If eprom or whatever system space is at a premium, and we want more templates like the CS-80, I'm thinking that if you want a Fixed Filter Bank, why not buy a full blown Mg Modular V softsynth?  You can do a ton of things with that monster in your PC.  And most of us have a music computer of some kind - I'm hoping to build mine this year.

For more musically useful things, I'd rather see a modification of the Mg modeled filter to make it into a MemoryMg filter, because those things are becoming insanely expensive!  Also, port in a proper Prophet 5 OSC and the SEM oscillator.  But if anything more would cut into template space, I say wait on the templates and take the Origin for what it is.  And what other VA or softsynth has so much to offer?
One day, I want my keyboard studio to be a synth museum like Hans Zimmer's

p.s.  PRAY FOR THIS PLANET!!

Cord

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 02:46:34 am »
How about a supersaw oscillator! Not that you cannot create this with all the saws you want, but it would be just easier. Would go well with the Filterbank I think!

ASch

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 09:07:15 am »
I'd much rather have more modules rather than more templates...

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 09:55:47 am »
How about a supersaw oscillator! Not that you cannot create this with all the saws you want, but it would be just easier. Would go well with the Filterbank I think!

I've been long time asking for a supersaw. (Well, not anymore recently cause I got Virus to my rig)

While many people here ask for some vintage specialities, I was hoping that Origin would expand its palette to more modern territory and supersaw has been one major puzzle of that. Other thing is that in my opinion, while we can put quite many saws together and detune them, we haven't managed to get "that" sound which most of us identify as the most typical supersaw. There's this Supersaw soundbank to check, if you are not sure.

All this been said, things change and personally I am not that much after supersaw anymore. Maybe Origin should not be all-around-synth after all. To be honest I am quite happy with its possibilities at the moment. Most of all I'd like to improve its practical use and especially computer integration: editor and librarian. I have said it thousand times: preset (program, multi and sequences) management and editing in computer is far from perfect at the moment.

synthguy99

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 12:09:02 pm »
I'd much rather have more modules rather than more templates...

While I'm with you on that for the most part, I think a CS-80 template is almost essential.  In order to create one as completely as possible, the Origin won't give you 16 voice polyphony, as a real CS-80 does with two synth layers and eight note poly.  A template would be condensed and optimized, and hopefully give us more like ten or twelve notes.
One day, I want my keyboard studio to be a synth museum like Hans Zimmer's

p.s.  PRAY FOR THIS PLANET!!

rcmusic

• Beta-testers
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 04:34:59 pm »
I would prefer, now that origin is really stable and that we already had a bunch of modules, that the team focuses on the connection software and concerning the hardware side maybe i'd like the effects to be better (reverb and delay in particular), those are my priorities. Of course i would be more than happy to get supersaw and tempo information for example. I thought that extend the number of waveforms in the WTosc was a good idea (phil talked about it) but it seems it's over for this (???). I don't know if origin can now accept a supersaw OSC, but maybe a first approach could be to put a supersaw waveform in the WTosc (i think i takes less power, maybe i'm wrong...)

u.n.i.t.e.d

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 11:04:19 am »
i dont use a computer so i dont have the possibility to use any software. A supersaw osc. could be a nice adding for the modules but for me that is nothing compared to a filterbank especialy to a Mg filterbank if arturia made a good one. It would be a massive enrichment for the origin because with the normal filters it is not possible to create such soundshapes. I also think it is better to get more modules then new templates. They are great but i bought the origin because it is a modular and to create new unheard sounds.

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 09:46:28 pm »

I would like to add a small request to the list - either a general "lag processor" module (one that adds glide to CVs that are distinct steps), or at least add a glide knob to the Mono and PolyLFOs when they are in Random mode. The Random mode is so incredibly useful and it would be even more if the random CV steps could be smoothed out...

Of course both would be great because I have found myself wishing for a lag processor module on several occasions. If you wanted to get really fancy, it could be something like this: http://www.synthtech.com/motm820.html

ASch

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 02:28:00 pm »
Yep, I've found myself wanting a slew limiter (lag processor) on a few occassions - that would be a very useful addition!

Andreas

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines