March 28, 2024, 11:46:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Scaling on Filter Cutoff  (Read 3423 times)

MarctheDarc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Scaling on Filter Cutoff
« on: January 25, 2013, 12:12:21 am »
Recently recieved my MiniBrute (after having ordered it at my local dealer early May last year).
So far i'm loving it, awesome sounding synth. But something is bothering me...
With filter env amount to 0, no keyboard tracking, and no control from either modwheel or aftertouch, a full third of the cutoff knobs travel in the bottom end is below the audible range, effectively reducing its resolution to 2/3 of the available travel. Using 1 or more of the other controls to change the cutoff will only move where the 2/3 of audible travel is on the knob, and 1/3 spread across top and bottom end will still be outside the audible range. In addition to this effectively reduced filter resolution, i feel that in some places the resolution is a bit jumpy/choppy instead of the clean smooth experience usually related to analogue circuits...
Additionally the resonance also seems jumpy/choppy in its scaling/response in the high values, near and in self-oscillation. Lower values are smooth.
Any1 else experience this? Is this normal behaviour, a flaw in my unit or a design-flaw?
Fast replies will be valued, as i'm sort of at a crossroad here.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:19:15 am by MarctheDarc »

squil

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Scaling on Filter Cutoff
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 03:22:20 pm »
this is normal behavior of the minibrute. mine is doing the same.

Quinthius

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 10:37:22 am »
I suspect having the "below audible range" on the filter has to do with allowing extra breathing room to play around with different travel distances/intensities from modulation sources.  I have not really noticed anything awkward about it.

Also just a thought, the Minibrute leans a little more toward "boutique synth" than "mainstream trance & dance synth" and really seems to be a little more geared towards modular usage (or at least well prepared for it), so maybe this is part of the design also, to allow for more complex stuff from external modulation sources, and giving a little more flexibility on where you set your initial cutoff levels?  It has been stated this is also the reason the audio input volume can seem very low, because it has been designed to allow for more powerful modular or other analog audio signals... so would not surprise me at all if that kind of approach was taken with the filter as well.

bobby68

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 06:28:07 pm »
Normal behavier with mine to.

JnC

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 02:05:33 am »
When the filter cutoff resolution feels too choppy or coarse, I map the cutoff to the mod wheel. It allows for more precision and you can fine tune the filter much easier.

MarctheDarc

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 10:58:36 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. Guess it's just something to ignore/live with. I can't see how this in particular could help enable something, but then again, there's plenty i don't know. Just felt this was weird since the filter is 1 of it's special/strong points.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines