March 28, 2024, 10:46:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Just to say i love this Synth  (Read 6789 times)

C-Jay

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Just to say i love this Synth
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:43:32 am »
hi guys,
just a quick note to say i love the Oberheim synth. i bought the v collection 3 some 2 weeks ago, and i love it.
i had some problems making it work, and unfortunately for 2 weeks i didnt get support from arturia.
luckily steinberg tech came with the solution.

anyhow, love the bundle, love the oberheim. beautiful clean sounds. miami vice written all over it. :)
this bundle is basically my whole vst collection now. next to this i have cubase 7, nord lead 1 keys, novation nova desktop.
C-Jay
www.c-jay.eu

Adrien

Re: Just to say i love this Synth
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 04:34:14 pm »
Hi

Thank you, i'm really pleased that you like it.
Let everyone know ;)

Enjoy,

musically
Adrien
Adrien Courdavault
DSP & Software engineer
Arturia

tomazzzi

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 03:08:15 pm »
Hi,

To me it's a joke.
It doesn't compare in any way with a real oberheim synth.
It just sound plastic to my ears compared to the real one.
Ho sure on a single note you can make it sound " like " but once you tweak a sequence you understand the joke....
I wish i didn't buy it.

It's also very buggy compared to the other arturia synths ( freeze, cracks & pops etc...)

C-Jay

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 03:12:55 pm »
hi mate,

Really? Weird.. i dont have that with the Oberheim. Its really stable.
The Analog Laboratory crashes all the time, all others are stable within Cubase. But arturia says with a new update my problem might be solved.

Honestly i played mostly with the Jupiter and CS80 untill now... but so far, the Oberheim sounds crispy clean to me.
The 1 on 1 comparison cant be made by myself: i never owned one. :)

kcearl

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 03:58:01 am »
Hi,

To me it's a joke.
Ho sure on a single note you can make it sound " like " but once you tweak a sequence you understand the joke....
I wish i didn't buy it.

It's also very buggy compared to the other arturia synths ( freeze, cracks & pops etc...)

Well it may or may not be buggy (i find this version stable)...but as far as sounding like a real oberheim its very very close

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=N_n2ctb40B8
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 04:00:02 am by kcearl »

C-Jay

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 08:05:00 am »
Played with it again the other day... really starting to like it. All knobs now assigned to my nord lead 1, which makes it loads of fun.
Anyone knows if there are any new presets by the way, somewhere online?

tomazzzi

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 03:01:19 pm »
)...but as far as sounding like a real oberheim its very very close

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=N_n2ctb40B8

Close on a single note maybe.... but once you start tweaking a sequence you understand the power of the original !

kcearl

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 08:22:05 am »
You mean the original that also cost $99?

Seriously if you think youre going to get a 100% replica for the price of the arturia plugin then perhaps you should stick to hardware...i think it sounds plenty close enough for that price. In fact Id go as far to say that its one of the best software synths on the market at the moment.

dreamreal

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 03:30:33 pm »
Count me as a big fan, too. There're some things (well, a lot of things) I don't know how to do yet, and a few oddities with MIDI, but I'll get there and the issues will be solved, I'm sure.

I love the sound of the SEM-V, rich and thick. It's brighter than a Mg, but that's why you have multiple synths available.

Now just to find some of the extra patches... :)

mecenas

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 01:14:14 pm »
tomazzzi wrote: 'To me it's a joke.
Ho sure on a single note you can make it sound " like " but once you tweak a sequence you understand the joke....'

Which exact Oberheim are you supposedly comparing it to? Oh, no, no! I don't mean only which model. I mean model and serial number. You see, if anyone tells me that some VA softsynth today doesn't sound as good as Synth X from 1979 or whenever, I say they are full of nonsense unless they will provide a serial number and preferably the original synth itself to do a comparison.

Why is this you ask? Very simple. You see, Mr tomazzzi, although it is all too popular these days to diss softsynths and claim how they don't sound like some 'original', most who do this make the fatal mistake of misunderstanding what the situation was with these hardware synths back then. I'm not surprised, though, because most 'dissers' today were in diapers 'back then' ... or perhaps not even born!

So, I'll explain: NO TWO SYNTHS OF THE SAME MODEL SOUNDED THE SAME. Yes, many of today's analogue sound lovers are completely unaware of what it is that makes analogue sound so good. Those components varied in values considerably; further, oscillators drifted subtly and sometimes greatly.

Therefore, to say the SEM V does not sound authentic is not true at all. The sound of this softsynth would fit in nicely among a room full of its hardware grandfathers. Blindfolded, you would have no idea which was which, as each sounded and behaved differently! Now, that model and serial number, please. I do assume you actually HAVE a real Obie?!?!

[technical note] I ought to mention that the SEM V is of the 'pre-Curtis chip' family. After the change to the Curtis chip, they began sounding much more the same from unit to unit. These are less collectible today, partly for this very reason.

Yes, the SEM V sounds just like an Obie and plays much like one, too. I should know. I was there.

I won't go into the technical details thereof, but major kudos to Arturia for this whole T.A.E. business. I realise there are other ways of approaching it these days, but for some time this was the only and best solution to creating true analogue sound out of ones and zeroes.

And no crash issues to report. It's my GF's synth on her machine and solid as a rock. Maybe check your system?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:19:11 pm by mecenas »

Sofine

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 03:28:15 pm »
You mean the original that also cost $99?

Seriously if you think youre going to get a 100% replica for the price of the arturia plugin then perhaps you should stick to hardware...i think it sounds plenty close enough for that price. In fact Id go as far to say that its one of the best software synths on the market at the moment.

I have to agree. I owned a SEM Pro up until a few months ago and the arturia SEM plugin is damn good. I am able to get very close to recreating some of the sounds I loved from the real SEM. Good job Arturia!!!

Now to get my head around the interfaces of the JP8, Mg Mod and CS80, yikes...

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines