March 19, 2024, 02:41:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Almost perfect GUI. Congrats!  (Read 5265 times)

Man-Machine

Almost perfect GUI. Congrats!
« on: February 28, 2013, 12:53:46 pm »
I wish Arturia would pay more attention to the user interface of their synths. This is very important to electronic music composers that like to create their own sounds (like me!). Hardware analogue synths are WAY easier to program, even taking MIDI controllers into consideration. A lot of analogue synth composers don't like soft synths for this reason alone, not the sound! Just read some interviews with VInce Clarke and Jean-Michel Jarre...

Arturia synthesizers have beautiful looks but not so practical interfaces. There's no generic MIDI controller that can map all the controllers of complicated synths like the Mg Modular. Also, you always end up of with controls on weird locations on the MIDI controller. In the end, you always end up using the mouse (or finger on the iPad) to create sounds with software synths. To make it worse, a lot of controls on Arturia synths have a really small area to click which is really annoying. Korg is the only company I've seen to came up with an awesome solution by building a dedicated controller for their MS-20 emulation.

This is the first time Arturia really improved the interface of their synths. The iPad version of the MiniMg interface is a huge improvement over the original one. Even on the small iPad screen, all the knobs and buttons are bigger than the desktop version. They're way easier to access and manipulate. You can tap two fingers and control two parameters at the same time. Take that mouse! The screen MODE is also a smart way to show more (less essential?) controls. I would go even further by having an option, for those with MIDI controllers, to hide the virtual keyboard and use the space for more controls. The MiniMg is a simple synth, this will be very important on more complicated synths like the 2600.

Good job and please improve the interfaces on the desktop synths too!
L8er Osci8ers

bytex666

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Almost perfect GUI. Congrats!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 01:41:58 pm »
If only they'd do the same with the CS-80V. That interface is so tiny and covered in buttons it's nearly impossible to use. They'd have to separate it into several screens I think.

Man-Machine

Re: Almost perfect GUI. Congrats!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 09:55:51 pm »
The CS-80 is like a preset synth for me. I hate tweaking sounds on that small interface. I'd rather have a couple of screens than small controls.
L8er Osci8ers

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines