March 19, 2024, 11:44:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Using the Laboratory 61 Keyboard as a MIDI controller for external Modules  (Read 12272 times)

engineerjoel

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Anyone using the Laboratory 61 keyboard as master Midi controller for external synth modules???

Is the Keyboard capable of storing Program changes, Zones and CC controller setups?

thanks,

Dav1d

You can us the Midi Control Center to control the CC

First, you must configure your Laboratory keyboard to send MMC (MIDI Machine Control) messages:

Open The Laboratory MIDI Control Center (update to 1.0.1 or later)
    Select PLAY button
        Set Mode to MMC
        Set CC Number to 2 (CC Number will be the MMC command sent)
    Select STOP button
        Set Mode to MMC
        Set CC Number to 1
    Select RECORD button
        Set Mode to MMC
        Set CC Number to 6
    ... Please refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_Machine_Control MMC Messages for further details about MMC messages
    Click "Send to keyboard"

Source:
==> http://arturia.com/evolution/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=158

engineerjoel

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Thank you David for your replay; though, I don't currently yet own the Laboratory 61 Keyboard.  My post was just a pre-purchase question to try to find feedback on Laboratory 61 users that maybe using their keyboard as a Midi Master contoller for external sound modules.

Could you explain futher as to your reasoning as why you assigned the PLAY buton to CC #3 (Breath Controller);  STOP button to CC #1 (Modulation Wheel); and RECORD button to CC#6 (DATA Entry MSB)?   What does this accomplish?

Thanks.

Citizen Klaus

Thank you David for your replay; though, I don't currently yet own the Laboratory 61 Keyboard.  My post was just a pre-purchase question to try to find feedback on Laboratory 61 users that maybe using their keyboard as a Midi Master contoller for external sound modules.

Could you explain futher as to your reasoning as why you assigned the PLAY buton to CC #3 (Breath Controller);  STOP button to CC #1 (Modulation Wheel); and RECORD button to CC#6 (DATA Entry MSB)?   What does this accomplish?

Thanks.

The way that the Laboratory keyboard handles this is a bit confusing.  When you set a button to MMC mode, the CC value doesn't actually correspond to a Control Change message.  Rather, it refers to a MIDI Machine Control message.  The MMC command table is as follows:

01 - Stop
02 - Play
03 - Deferred Play
04 - Fast Forward
05 - Rewind
06 - Record Strobe
07 - Record Exit
08 - Record Ready
09 - Pause
10 - Eject
11 - Chase
12 - Command Error Reset
13 - MMC Reset
64 - Write
68 - Locate / Go To
71 - Shuttle

So, if you set a button on the Laboratory to MMC mode and set the CC to 2, it's not sending CC 2 (Breath Control), but rather MMC 2 (Play).

engineerjoel

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Thank you Citizan Klaus for your excellent clarification of MMC; though, I will primarily be wanting to use the Keyboard as controller for external midi synth modules. 

I was hoping to get some user feedback to find out if the keyboard is capable of storing Program changes, Zones and CC controller setups as "performance" setup.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
You can us the Midi Control Center to control the CC

First, you must configure your Laboratory keyboard to send MMC (MIDI Machine Control) messages:

Open The Laboratory MIDI Control Center (update to 1.0.1 or later)
    Select PLAY button
        Set Mode to MMC
        Set CC Number to 2 (CC Number will be the MMC command sent)
    Select STOP button
        Set Mode to MMC
        Set CC Number to 1
    Select RECORD button
        Set Mode to MMC
        Set CC Number to 6
    ... Please refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_Machine_Control MMC Messages for further details about MMC messages
    Click "Send to keyboard"

Source:
==> http://arturia.com/evolution/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=158

Would this also to apply to my Lab49 being the master controller for all my soft synths in addition to the Arturia package in Sonar?  I'm hoping I can do all this with just the USB cable.  I was hoping I would not have to continue using my M-Audio Midi-Sport 2x2.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

arisel

I was hoping to get some user feedback to find out if the keyboard is capable of storing Program changes, Zones and CC controller setups as "performance" setup.

I'm just configuring mine as a midi controller..

what works fine, so far:
  • mapping CCs on faders and knobs
  • mapping midi nrpn on faders and knobs

Bad:

Nrpm values are submitted in the range of 0-127, however. So, while most instruments will be able to deal with that totally fine, that isn't the highest resolution which may be offered by the instrument.

Only thing that does not work so easily is program changes.. you can assign a program change to a specific bank/program combination to a button, but you don't have an easily accessible knob to cycle through programs. You still may do that by entering setup mode, where there is a way to send program changes, but apart from that you have to preassign a button with exactly that program change you'd want.

Good:

Controllers work like a charm and I didn't experience any input losses so far, which -after having tried other controllers- can't be taken for granted with all midi controllers.

So.. hth.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
I've been using mine as a controller for all of my soft synths now, as I no longer have any more hardware synths.

I created a separate track template for each soft synth that I have in Sonar 8 Producer.  I tested each one to ensure performance. 

So as far as controlling all other soft synths, I found the question to my answer above.

Now, regarding controlling other hardware synths, in theory, you should be able to use the Midi I/O jacks on the back of your Lab-61.  If you're wanting to control them via the USB cable through the computer, hopefully someone with more expertize will chime in, as I am unsure.
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

stevesmith

Hello everyone,  this is my first entry.  I've had the analogue laboratory with the 61 controller for some time, but am now just getting to set it up as a master midi controller for standalone softsynths, and have run into a couple of issues.  First, when I try to alter a preset on Analogue Laboratory or any other softsynths with the hardware controller, the control knobs only alter the parameter by a tiny number, yet clicking on the knob on the screen changes the parameter to the full extent.   I've tried to use the manual, but so far have not been able to correct this problem.  The second issue is a more important one for me since I play live and use the laptop with an Echo Indigo IOX soundcard controlling multiple softsynths.  The souncard can process four stereo virtual souces as well as a stereo analogue source, all at the same time.  My old controller, an Alesis QS8 works fine, but the Arturia 61 so far only controls one at a time, whichever one I launch first.  To get another softsynth to sound, I have to exit the first, then launch the second- completely unworkable for playing live.  I'm sure it's all in the setup, and I apologize in advance for not reading/following the manual thoroughly.  Can anyone help? 
Thank you,
Steve Smith

stevesmith

One more thing- aftertouch does not seem to be activated.Thanks for any help
Steve Smith- hey, I'm an old guy but still want to rock n roll!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines