March 28, 2024, 11:03:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: iPhone Output To MiniBrute - Can It Be Done? How?  (Read 3312 times)

Senor Sheep

iPhone Output To MiniBrute - Can It Be Done? How?
« on: March 27, 2013, 07:46:33 pm »
Hey Everybody,

Total noob here, apologies in advance for the dumb question(s) - the first of many, I'm sure.  I promise to set up a proper DAW and learn to use my MiniBrute correctly in time.  But for now, I just unpackaged it, and I want to quickly run some loops through it to hear what it can do.  So...

Quick and dirty, I want to run iKaossilator from my iPhone through the MiniBrute.  I was hoping it would be as simple as running a 1/8"-to-1/4" cable from my iPhone headphone jack to the MiniBrute's Audio In, but that doesn't seem to work - no sound whatsoever.  I tried the Gate Source set to Audio and to Hold, and I had the Audio In slider up on the MiniBrute.

So, it seems to be a bit more complicated than I thought.  Do I need Audio Out coming from the iPhone's lightning connector, vs. the headphone jack?  Do I need to be coming into MiniBrute through a different input?  What kind of connection do I need to make this work?  Again, total noob - please talk slow and use simple words.  ;D

Thanks in advance for your patience, understanding, and assistance!

tertior

Re: iPhone Output To MiniBrute - Can It Be Done? How?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 08:30:46 pm »
iPhone headphone jack to the MiniBrute's Audio In  it's good; put the level maxi on iphone and Minibrute and cursor audio in  Minibrute to maxi and you you must heard the sound. the best thing is to take a preamp between the output of  iphone and [/size]input[/size]  of Minibrute.

Mr. Pete

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 03:32:21 pm »
turn the keyboard/gate switch on...

jaytee

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 01:06:35 am »
iPhone not switched to silent, is it?

rove

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 01:44:50 am »
You will need a lot of level to get the gate to trigger, so as mentioned above, a preamp may be necessary.  I use a home made LPB-1 pedal (clean boost so doesn't color the sound too much) to get low level signals to trigger the gate.  A quieter signal can be used on the "hold" setting.

beefinator

• Soundcloud page
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 01:47:28 am »
It in theory might work to use a normal 1/8 to 1/4 stereo adapter, depending on how the minibrute's jack is wired up inside.

But you might need to get a cable that splits the iPhone's 1/8" stereo output into 2 separate 1/4" mono plugs.  Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP153-Cable-Inch-Dual/dp/B000068O3C/ , or equivalent.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines