March 28, 2024, 04:40:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Suggestions for modular expansion  (Read 3245 times)

Quinthius

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Suggestions for modular expansion
« on: April 10, 2013, 09:26:34 am »
Hello all,

I am seriously considering "expanding" my MiniBrute via modular components.  I have never touched anything in this realm before so it's kind of a big open mysterious wonderland to me currently.  I did a quick search and surprisingly I don't think this has been discussed much on here.

So I'm wondering, does anyone have any suggestions on where to start?  What kind component would be the "most useful" to get first?  I'm guessing a second oscillator would probably be pretty good?  What about effects, LFOs, sequencers, etc?

Any suggestions on particular brands or specific modules that any of you have had success with?  Certain ones that "play nice" with the MiniBrute? I guess they need to match up with the CV/gate specs that the MiniBrute uses, right?  And produce a high enough audio output to work well with the MiniBrute's stubborn audio in sensitivity?  Do most modular components produce that high level of output or do we need to be a bit selective about this (without having to resort to other amplifiers or anything like that... would prefer to work with direct out-in  connections)

Loaded question I know, and I know there are online resources, but I'm very curious to hear everyone's thoughts, suggestions, ramblings, experiences and so forth as it specifically relates to using the MB with other modular components, and suggestions on where a "newbie" might get started.  :)

Quinthius

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Suggestions for modular expansion
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 09:31:53 am »
Oh and, also interested in the possibilities of using a second oscillator for things like ring modulation / cross modulation / FM synthesis type of stuff.  Is this possible with the MB in conjunction with other modular pieces?

zedius

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 05:38:28 pm »
I haven't started on the modular yet, but I was thinking along these same lines. It's expensive to get into, but the minibrute seems like it will be a very useful stepping stone.

To get into modular from the ground, you would probably need to spend around $1500 minimum on a case, power supply, midi-cv converter, VCO, VCF, VCA, EG and some mults and cables. I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting as well. It'll add up.

But since I have a minibrute, I'm thinking of starting with a simple DIY EG, case, and power supply. Haven't decided what to go with yet, but this'll be a very inexpensive start which (unless I'm missing something here?) I can use as a pitch envelope - something that the minibrute is lacking.

rove

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 01:58:32 am »
I don't think there is a really "cheap" way to get into modular synthesis, but the route I chose was via Mgerfoogers...
A CP-251 provides an extra LFO with variable waveshapes as well as Sample and Hold and a mult, which by themselves greatly expand the sounds available from the mini brute.  With a Freq box or Ring mod an extra oscillator can be added as well... For example, I can mult the pitch out on the minibrute, send thru CP251 mixer to Ring mod for extra osc, as well as to monotribe CV in (which will follow arp via CV) and then additionally send the Sample and hold through an attenuator in to the 'brute filter CV in...
lots of options, but still an investment.

Tom_1970

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 10:25:30 am »
I use a Doepfer Dark Energy and a Dark Time sequencer in combination with the MiniBrute ant it works fine for me.
It has both Midi and CV/Gate and that gives some nice patching possibilities.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines