March 19, 2024, 02:47:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Can Spark's X0X buttons control other sequencers?  (Read 5179 times)

stikygum

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Can Spark's X0X buttons control other sequencers?
« on: April 23, 2013, 06:46:16 am »
I'm wondering if anyone has gotten Spark's hardware X0X buttons to control other software sequencers. For example, can you press one of the 16 X0X step/buttons of Spark's hardware and it will turn a Note On (Step On) of another sequencer like Geist or Maschine for example?

mrfugu

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Can Spark's X0X buttons control other sequencers?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 10:04:54 pm »
yes, here's how:

1) right click the drums in the plugin and set appropriate notes.

2) connect (in OSX) to the IAC MIDI Bus Out from spark. Output will be on Ch 1 (should be on channel 10, imho.. )

note that any tonal or pitched instruments will have to be controlled via CC assignments. as they are not controllable via any other method.

hope this helps,

mpc60champ

• Beta-testers
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 04:23:11 pm »
yes, here's how:

2) connect (in OSX) to the IAC MIDI Bus Out from spark. Output will be on Ch 1 (should be on channel 10, imho.. )

note that any tonal or pitched instruments will have to be controlled via CC assignments. as they are not controllable via any other method.

hope this helps,

So  can control the max for live step sequencer? I will try this out.

stikygum

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 12:02:59 am »
Not sure if I understand. So in step 1, right click the X0X steps in the software and set the notes I want to assign them to.
In step 2, what do I connect Spark's IAC midi Bus Out to?

Also as you mention pitched instruments needing to be assigned by CC, does that mean in step 1 to just right click and assign to CC instead of note #?

yes, here's how:

hope this helps,

Seb

• Tech-Support
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 09:52:35 am »
I think the process mrfugu is describing will let you sequence other instruments using Spark's step sequencer : it will input the notes in Spark's internal step sequencer, and it can trigger instruments from outside Spark.

But it won't let you use another step sequencer such as the M4L sequencer, with the LEDs lighting up if the steps are active in the M4L sequencer and all...

I am not sure if it is actually possible to do that easily, but that would be lovely indeed. Maybe with the MIDI Control center and a smart implementation in the step sequencer you want to control...

stikygum

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 10:02:24 pm »
So you could basically control the sounds from Ableton (that the M4L sequencer would normally control). But you are saying that it won't actually input any 'note on' message into Ableton's sequencer?

If that's the case, that would be ok with me as long as I can get my other sequencers to record the sequence, after I have it in Spark. I would still like it to actually turn on the steps of other sequencers though. That would really make Spark's controller the go-to for all drum sequencing.

dancetech

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 11:12:56 pm »
well of course you can just create all the patterns inside park and then - in theory - simply drag/export them out of the library area into your host sequencer tracks as & when required.

but there's a bug -  the spark sequencer plays the s/w drums fine but as soon as you export the pattern from spark and open the pattern in logic or whatever the notes are on the wrong pitches!

is that a known bug?

mrfugu

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 05:28:57 pm »
well of course you can just create all the patterns inside park and then - in theory - simply drag/export them out of the library area into your host sequencer tracks as & when required.

but there's a bug -  the spark sequencer plays the s/w drums fine but as soon as you export the pattern from spark and open the pattern in logic or whatever the notes are on the wrong pitches!

is that a known bug?

There is a preference for exported Drum notes, I expect the 'general midi' setting would get you closest to something for an external drum module. 'custom' should map to whatever notes you might have cmd-clicked on the pads, and 'spark', I'm not sure what the spark's default notes are, but they should be documented somewhere.

hope this helps,

dancetech

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 11:20:26 pm »

is that a known bug?

There is a preference for exported Drum notes, I expect the 'general midi' setting would get you closest to something for an external drum module. 'custom' should map to whatever notes you might have cmd-clicked on the pads, and 'spark', I'm not sure what the spark's default notes are, but they should be documented somewhere.

hope this helps,

no it makes no difference, those preferences set the pads note numbers only. and whatever you set them to, the pattern still exports with the notes on the wrong note numbers.. it's a bug.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines