March 19, 2024, 12:23:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Spark LE and Ableton Live 9 private ports  (Read 9324 times)

DavidClerk

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Spark LE and Ableton Live 9 private ports
« on: June 18, 2013, 02:04:43 pm »
Hi everyone !

I am using SparkLE with Ableton Live 9, on a Mac.

Each time I start Spark as a VST on a new track, it says "You need to turn off some MIDI connections in your sequencer software". But I can only find the MIDI Ports called : Input SparkLE and Output SparkLE. I have checked many tutorials on the Internet and none mention this.

It seems that the Private ports are clearly visible when using Spark Creative drum machine (as in Home > Products > SparkLE > Resources, you have a Template for Live and a "How To" which shows it), but what about Spark LE ? And is it normal that this useful template is in the section Spark LE whereas it doesn't seem to be useable for Spark LE ?

Finally when I record automation on a Spark track in Live 9 with the controller SparkLE, the automation envelope jumps from a parameter to another while playing back. The automation is recorded properly but other random parameters get to change too. But i guess this problem comes from the Private Ports...

Thank you very much for your support !
David

Kevin

• http://www.arturia.com
Re: Spark LE and Ableton Live 9 private ports
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 02:56:42 pm »
Hi David,
you have to disable SparkLE Input and Output in Ableton Live.
thanks for reporting the issue about the SparkLE webpage, we will remove the template.

Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

DavidClerk

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 03:20:17 pm »
Thanks Kevin !

Ok with this setting I have no problems with automation on Live !
But I still find it a bit tricky to work with 2 different tracks, one MIDI track where you record MIDI, sending the MIDI data to the track hosting Spark VST... I suppose I'll have to get used to it.

And then (correct me if I'm wrong), if you want to record automation, it has to be done on the track hosting Spark. Tricky. My MIDI track doesn't record automation from SparkLE (for example if I change the pitch of a kick drum while playing). But then I move the MIDI data recorded in the MIDI track to the track hosting Spark, set the Spark track to monitor "Auto" instead of "In", and I can record automation on that.

Is there something simpler than that ?
Sorry I'm beginning with Spark and SparkLE, but I couldn't find this kind of information about automation in the SparkLE manual.
Thanks for your help !

David

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 05:58:35 pm »
It's the same in Pro Tools, I've been having similar issues with of late.

Turn the private ports off, to record automation use the public in and out ports, in order to monitor what you have just played then you need to change your monitor track back to Spark.

Then it's just about turning on and off the desired prefs in the Spark prefs window, referring to if you want to record Spark seq data or Spark pad info.

I think the problem lies in the documentation, Arturia cover the Spark side of things but ask you to refer to the manual of the host DAW, which is fine if you're knowledgable about the DAW you use, but not great if you're just starting out

Thanks, Stuart 
Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

DavidClerk

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 03:29:02 pm »
Thank you Stuart and Kevin,

I guess I'll just have to guest used to this workflow.
I'm not a beginner with Live though, and it is the first time I see this kind of procedure. But that'll do !

Thanks again for your replies,
Best regards

David

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 03:48:09 pm »
It's similar in Pro Tools. Usually i'd just add it to a Instrument track and the PT instrument track would route the audio for you, but I now have to add a Midi channel as well as an instrument track, then record via the midi track. It's an odd workflow but seems to be the only way round it.

There's a PDF on the Arturia forums I can't find it right now, basically create two midi tracks in Ableton, add the spark to one. monitor in on the spark track and output set to misi on the midi track.

Cheers Stuart     
Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7