March 28, 2024, 04:35:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Origin won't boot  (Read 40982 times)

mmp

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Origin won't boot
« on: June 07, 2013, 04:03:58 pm »
My Origin won't boot and there is no activity on the display(lit or unlit).

Just locked up with a number of LEDs lit.

I opened a support case in May, but haven't heard a peep from support since May 22cd.

Anyone had this happen?  Is there any "secret" set of keys to force a reset?

TIA.

Regards,

MM

moogy blues

• Acoustic Focus
Re: Origin won't boot
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 04:59:50 pm »
Not sure if mine is a similar fault but the following situation applies in my case

My origin froze during operation recently and when i rebooted it just loaded up the start up 'crowd' screen with a number of led's lit but no ability to operate.

I have an open case 129637 to which I received an instruction to complete the technote 2 file attached to the email. This file is not recognised in the connection software update process (and the connection no longer syncs with the origin anyway).

The technote is a "corrupted usb firmware replacement updater". I did ask for further instructions on how to run the file but was told that if I was unable to do it I would have to return the origin to Arturia. This will be costly to post and insure and clearly there is a serious software problem with version 1.4.1.

I hope Arturia view this email and provide more instruction on how to perform this technote repair method as this is entirely outside of an end users ability to understand.

Also if the origin freezes again do I have to send it back to France to get it fixed every time?

I hope a sensible response from Arturia is received soon as 1 would advise all users to go back to version 1.3.5 which was fairly stable. Unfortunately I am unable to do this now.

Have had my origin for 3 years with only minor issues occurring. I've never experienced a fault like this before

« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:02:47 am by moogy blues »

moogy blues

• Acoustic Focus
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 12:13:15 am »
OK, after several hours of re-booting the origin and holding down numerous buttons during the start up process I have somehow managed to get round the freeze without having to upload the technote program.

I will use the origin over the weekend and will turn off on Sunday. I hope (fingers crossed) that it will reboot as normal but I've not got confidence that the problem has been resolved.

I will then revert back to v1.3.5 if connection works. I had the normal firmware update screens appearing on several occasions but the origin would sync upto 23% and then stop.

I seem to have accessed some technical page screens during my experimentation as follows

'../..Highlevel/PageManager.cpp and other similar software pages.

Can arturia give origin users more in depth instructions to allow us to repair our equipment
as I can foresee future technical glitches happening.

Posting units back to France should be a last resort

Philippe

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 06:02:19 pm »
First I definitely DON'T recommend you to switch back to 1.3.5.

1- There is no known USB problem specific to the 1.4.1 firmware version. 2- A lot of low-level bugs that could lead to firmware update error have been fixed with the 1.4.1. And 3- any user presets that you loaded have been converted from the 1.3.5 format and saved to the 1.4 format, and these formats are not compatible. Attempting to load a 1.4 preset with a 1.3.5 firmware will likely crash the DSPs and freeze your machine.

Second, back to your "freeze on the crowd image" bug.

One cause for a "freeze" on the crowd screen is the attempt to load a corrupted preset. So something to try is to restart your Origin while simultaneously pressing keys '0', '1' and '2'. This resets some internal settings, particularly it will tell Origin to start by loading the factory preset 1000, which is likely not corrupted because it is not modifiable.

A second cause is a problem with the firmware of the USB controller.

This is the bug that the tech note 2 is addressing. It's a bug which is known since a long time (not sure, but I think we're aware of it since the 1.1 version). We don't have a certain explanation of the bug. I think it is a hardware bug which may very rarely leads to a corruption of the content of a non volatile memory (the memory that contains the USB controller firmware). This kind of bug cannot be fixed by the firmware, that's why we published this tech note 2.
Origin Lead  Developer

moogy blues

• Acoustic Focus
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 06:50:51 pm »
Thankyou.

I believe I was pressing all the number key pads when the system re-set. I will store this info in case of further freezes. This is a useful tip for all.

I've just re-booted the origin and it fires up again no problem

I did not load any new presets with the initial 1.4.1 upload (FYI)

I'm still very keen to understand how to load the tech note 2 file as it does not have a RUN command option and
is not recognised in the connection software update folder. It does show in the preset folder. Is this file fix still under development? Shall I wait until Arturia have refined this into a .ogu file type?

Philippe

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 07:07:29 pm »
Tech note 2 describes a procedure you can use to reprogram the USB flash. It does not use Origin Connection because OC needs a running USB firmware in order to communicate with Origin. I don't have the note under my eyes, I'll see tomorrow at the office.
Origin Lead  Developer

mmp

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 07:32:38 pm »
 tried tech note2 and the three key suggestions, but my Origin still won't boot....

Regards,'

MM

Philippe

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 08:43:51 am »
Hello mmp,

Anything new there?

Did you opened a case with the support?
Origin Lead  Developer

mmp

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 01:22:52 pm »
Nothing new.  I have been waiting three weeks now for a return authorization after the tech note try failed.  Case was opened in May, but David has been dealing with me directly.

Regards,

MM
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 01:25:38 pm by mmp »

Philippe

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 01:12:54 pm »
We've moved office these last days and we're not yet fully operational from the customer's service point of view. Anyway, I'll speak to David asap.
Origin Lead  Developer

mmp

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 01:15:22 pm »
Thank you!

rcmusic

• Beta-testers
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 05:48:56 pm »
We've moved office these last days and we're not yet fully operational from the customer's service point of view. Anyway, I'll speak to David asap.

hello

still in grenoble/meylan ?

Philippe

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 10:51:55 am »
Yes still in Meylan but not the same place.
Origin Lead  Developer

mmp

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 11:56:02 am »
I am still waiting for a return authorization to get my Origin repaired.

It has been over two months since it failed.
Please someone, contact me so that I can get this resolved.
I feel the time for excuses is over. 
You have a responsibility to the buyers to have a reasonable support system in place. 
It has been five weeks since I sent serial info and I am still waiting for a response after weekly emails.

Can I please, please get my Origin repaired?

mmp

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 02:55:59 am »
and another week goes by....

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines