March 28, 2024, 03:52:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Spark & Live 9 - Controlling another Plug-In with Spark Plug-In  (Read 7035 times)

alwaysuptil1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I asked this question a while back about Logic, but Ableton Live 9 seems to be able to do this, but I can't figure out how to make it happen..

Basically, I like the 909 sounds from my Drumazon plug in, but it's internal sequencer is not user friendly at all, at least not for me.  The SparkLE plug-in is the best because it really acts as it's own stand alone drum machine with it's own tracks that you just sync with your sequencer (DAW).  It's a very old school method that I enjoy.

Anyway, I'd like to have the 'drum machine sequencer' that the Spark software is, play the Drumazon plug in, so that it's as close as you can get to having a great virtual 909. 

I have checked off the Preference in the Spark Plug-In that indicates "Send MIDI from Sequencer" , I have opened the Drumazon track and selected as it's MIDI FROM to Spark as well as the Pre FX/Post FX pull down to Spark.  But there's no MIDI notes being sent to that Drumazon track. 

Is this even possible? 

So close...  Sooooo close....

mauronedj

• Beta-testers
Re: Spark & Live 9 - Controlling another Plug-In with Spark Plug-In
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 10:55:14 pm »
Try to change auto to In :D

vaikl

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 11:06:32 pm »
Create a third new MIDI-only track with no instrument on it, route MIDI in from the Spark track and route MIDI out to the Drumazon track.

alwaysuptil1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 07:33:11 am »
I just can't get this to work.  I've tried using a middle track as a midi track to receive the Spark software's sequencer info and route it to the Drumazon, or to ANY other plug-in and it doesn't do anything.  It seems that even though I have the preference checked for the Spark Sequencer to send MIDI, it doesn't send MIDI cuz the MIDI indicator light doesn't light up. 

Faulty software?

vaikl

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 10:54:55 pm »
Don't forget to arm all three tracks (because you hadn't done on the drumazon track in your picture).

alwaysuptil1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 08:38:48 am »
Still not working.  So here's some images of what I've done if it helps.  Tell me where I'm going wrong. And thanks to everyone who is helping!

horstpetersen

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 05:28:19 pm »
This does not specifically help with issue but have checked the custom user kit called 909+ (which is based on samples). I own a Novation DrumStation hardware which is as close as you can get to real deal but I mostly use this kit because the it sounds very good (even though its based on samples).

vaikl

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 12:41:59 am »
Still not working.  So here's some images of what I've done if it helps.  Tell me where I'm going wrong. And thanks to everyone who is helping!

The "middle" MIDI track will do all the routings, so deactivate the "MIDI from.." entries on the Spark and Drumazon tracks because this will override routings from other tracks.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 12:44:36 am by vaikl »

dancetech

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 03:59:24 pm »
you dont need to run spark as a plugin. run it standalone and then spark sends midi data into the Drumazon (or other plugin) track via usb.

like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdX0kjqWhpQ&feature=share&list=PLr9cxz51sxbzrsORP1rr_pzkN8OJXr0H0

the way to setup spark to do this is show in the previous video in that playlist about triggering hardware. you just create a project with no internal sounds on the pads and with the pad note numbers changed.

Kevin

• http://www.arturia.com
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 08:55:21 am »

I do not know why it is not working. I have tried with Spark and Oberheim SEM V (even without an extra MIDI track) and it works well.
The only thing I can think is, why did you set Spark input to Drumazon?
Kevin
Soft Arturia

alwaysuptil1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 09:37:28 am »
Well thanks to everyones input I figured it out...  sort of.  I realized that I was testing it with the pattern playing on Spark while not hitting 'play' on Live 9.  It's really quite simple.  I've documented my actions and posted it to YouTube.  There are some things I still don't understand, but it works.  So I'm happy. 

Things I'd still like clarity on:
1) In Spark, I've tried to create a 'blank' drum kit by assigning each 'pad' to 'No Sample'.  But it still makes sound.
2) Sometimes I can hit the 'play' button on the Spark sequencer and it will trigger the Drumazon with the pattern.  I can do this without hitting the 'play' button on Live9.   Sometimes I can't, like you'll see in this video.

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone and let me know if or what I'm doing wrong.

Here's the link:
http://youtu.be/2FOy9xYZtkg

Kevin

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 10:10:44 am »
Things I'd still like clarity on:
1) In Spark, I've tried to create a 'blank' drum kit by assigning each 'pad' to 'No Sample'.  But it still makes sound.

You can check the Spark mixer to see what instrument is doing sound.

2) Sometimes I can hit the 'play' button on the Spark sequencer and it will trigger the Drumazon with the pattern.  I can do this without hitting the 'play' button on Live9.   Sometimes I can't, like you'll see in this video.

While Ableton is not playing you can not expect the behavior of such feature.
Kevin
Soft Arturia

alwaysuptil1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 11:47:36 pm »
Here's a link to the Spark software playing sounds without any samples in them.   This is in standalone mode.  How is this happening?

LINK:
http://youtu.be/x8l1Yo-BYrk

Kevin

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 08:26:59 am »
What version of Spark are you using?
Kevin
Soft Arturia

alwaysuptil1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 08:40:36 am »
Version 1.6.1.1

But I just figured out that you can LOAD an Empty Project with an Empty Kit.  That works good enough for me.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:46:38 am by alwaysuptil1 »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines