March 29, 2024, 10:36:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Unbalanced audio  (Read 2838 times)

mollyfatha

Unbalanced audio
« on: July 13, 2013, 03:38:02 pm »
Hi
I'm using my Minibrute with Ableton Live and understand that the master audio out jack is unbalanced, so I will only hear the audio out of one monitor. My question is, is it possible to record some audio into Ableton and them have it output out of both my monitors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

stevism

• Beta-testers
Re: Unbalanced audio
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 07:57:42 pm »
? just set it to mono

beefinator

• Soundcloud page
Re: Unbalanced audio
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 10:48:12 pm »
Seems like you don't really know what (un)balanced means.

You're thinking of a stereo output.  The MB output is mono, if you record it to a Mono track in Ableton (I don't know exactly, I don't use ableton) it should be played through both speakers.

The MB output is also unbalanced.  This is NOT the same as being mono.  The confusion arises from the fact that stereo signals are sometimes (as with headphones) outputted on a TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) connector, i.e. an audio  plug with 3 connections.  On this sort of stereo connection, the tip is the left side, the ring is right, and the sleeve is ground.
A balanced connection can also use the TRS connector.  But a balanced TRS connection is mono.  The sleeve is still ground, and the tip is still the signal, but the ring holds and inverted version of the same signal sent via the tip.  This is useful for cancelling out noise along a long cable, because while the signal will always be inverted between the two signal wires, any noise picked up from the cable will be the same on both lines, allowing it to be subtracted out.

just clarification...   :P

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines