March 29, 2024, 01:49:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: So Spark 1.7 definitely not compatible with windows XP?  (Read 2618 times)

dixie237

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
So Spark 1.7 definitely not compatible with windows XP?
« on: July 27, 2013, 10:18:12 pm »
Hi,
As per title. I know it might seem obvious to say no because the specs now say W7 and W8 only, but I had this situation with my upgrade to Spectrasonics Omnisphere 1.5 a while ago. The spec for this is 7/8 Vista, but when I asked support they said yes it had been reported to work, they just had not tested.
So thats my question. Definately no XP ?
Cheers
D

dixie237

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: So Spark 1.7 definitely not compatible with windows XP?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 11:04:04 pm »
Ok so had a go. Spark is pretty unusable on my current system anyway. XP SP3 quad core 4 gb, so i had nothing to lose.
 Installs fine. Loads fine in Live. CPU hit in Live though still sits there at 16% in an empty project, not playing, with spark loaded.  :(
Ill do a test later when I get more time. I was hoping 1.7 would "lighten the load" oh well!
 :-\

kcearl

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 06:55:57 am »
I havent noticed a huge change in CPU since 1.7...I have a couple of FX laden kits that can hit the mid twenty percent in Live. Mind you Lives CPU percentage isnt completely accurate.

I did this little test just now, not scientific or 100% accurate of course...."real CPU" is taken from windows task manager

Win7 64, Intel i5 2.5ghz. Ableton Live 9 32bit, 44/24, sample rate 442

Vermona kit, no FX

Spark idle Live CPU 10%, real CPU 5%
Spark playing Live CPU 17-19%, real CPU 5-9%

Maschine idle Live CPU 3%, real CPU 2%
Maschine playing Live CPU 5-6%, real CPU 2-5%

Factory 808 kit with FX

Spark idle Live CPU 10%, real CPU 3%
Spark playing Live CPU 16-18%, real CPU 6-9%

Maschine idle Live CPU 4%, real CPU 2%
Maschine playing Live CPU 6%, real CPU 3-7%

I think it shows a big difference in Lives CPU report but the CPU reading taken from Windows task manager is far closer

dixie237

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 09:10:06 am »
I guess the problem with any plug that tends to have a big CPU hit is that it will never be one of those that you turn to in a track when your 90% there and think " this needs a bit of this". I can never think at that point "this needs a bit of Spark". Its too late by then. Yes I could freeze, bounce down etc, but when your in the flow you need those "turn to" plugs you can just grab.
I have others with a big CPU hit. Lush -101 and Diva for e.g. Both of these along with Spark are "track starters". Where Spark doesn't work for me personally with its high CPU, is I dont use a drum machine as a track starter. Ill use Lives Drum racks. Thats just my take  :-\

kcearl

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 10:10:31 am »
True...i always start with the beat and either render it or record to audio so that helps...interestingly I ran spark and maschine together with a hybrid kit and it was only hitting 20-25% with fx, my dual core macbook pro would hit more than that with one of them

jdemea

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 03:27:11 am »
FX(Filter, Slicer or Rollerz) wont playback in Logic Pro 9 or X, STILL!! How can  this not be corrected or is there something that I need to do? THX

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines