March 28, 2024, 12:34:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: terrible tuning and calibration problems (not a newbie)--just won't calibrate  (Read 5658 times)

shrimpizza

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
hi.  i really want to love this synth.  i got it because its the cheapest well made synth with flexible cv and gate options for using it with modular systems.  however, its a complete disaster for me.

it has only ever been in tune and scaled correctly for like the first couple weeks after purchase.  i am not talking about out of tune meaning a few cents.  i am talking c's as d's and e's and no correct scales.

i made a complaint and received the tech note for calibrating the synth using the curve and offset trimmers.  i have followed the instructions over and over to a "t".  i have spent hours trying to get this thing tuned and scaled correctly but it just doesn't work.  with a reference note of c0 i can not get a c3 no matter how patience I am going back and forth between the curve trimmer and offset trimmer--the best I can get for the c3 key is a D3.  at that point there is simply no more room on the trimmers to work with.

i have complained to technical support about this and all I have been told is "give it 15 minutes to warm up" and "use the preset sheets"...huh?  i have to say its likely this will not only be the first arturia purchase I make (a long time synth user of over 20 years) but also likely the last?  its literally useless. 

has anyone encountered the same problem and figured out a solution?  thanks!

help?

stevism

• Beta-testers
nope, i've had it and used it a lot since november and it only takes a few minutes to get into tune, then it stays there until i turn it off. scales perfectly too.

sounds like you got a dud

shrimpizza

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
technical support still will not return my emails...i have opened up two separate tickets (the first was just to get the tech note)...this is insane.  the worst customer support ever--i can't believe it.  how do I return it...it is still under warranty.  is there a phone number to call?  i have never had such a bad experience ever. 

stevism

• Beta-testers
not sure really. try messaging "bruno" on these forums.

goodluck

Thunderroad75

I feel for you. I too have asked for the tuning calibration notes which I must say where sent to me very quickly by arturia. Only had to wait a day. So I now need to get a plastic screwdriver. Hmmmm that's a little more tricky.

I hope you do get it sorted as the minibrute in my opinion is a very nice bit of kit indeed.

Good luck.

Thunderroad75

I did a bit more investigating into my minibrutes tuning issue. Here are my findings;

I used my Roland Fantom x to tune to at 440hz.

With my minibrutes tune knob at the 12 oclock position;

I had to tune the Fantom X up to get in tune with the minibrute.

octave up +2 top C key = 456.6hz

octave up +1 top C key = 452.1hz

octave centered top C key = 449.4hz

octave down -1 top C key = 448.9hz

octave down -2 top C key = 448.9hz

octave down -2 middle C key = 448.9hz

octave down -2 bottom C key = 448.9hz

With the octave button +2 and the Fantom X tuning at 440hz I had to turn the minibrutes tune knob down 4 notches to get in tune with the top C key. With the octave button at +1 I had to turn the minibrutes tune knob down 3 notches to get tune.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has experimented with their minibrutes tuning.

shrimpizza

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
after writing four different emails i finally received customer support to return it for REPAIR--to Bellingham WA? 

i use this to perform so this is bonkers.  i asked how long it would take to "fix" and support is not answering again.  the honorable thing to do would be to send me a new one and let the bellingham folks fix it and sell it as refurbished.  i am sending it today and am sure I will not see it again for months.  this has been the most terrible experience ever--i am kind of mad I gave up my DSI mopho keyboard for this.

following the tech note the best turning/curve calibration i got was:  [green light on center octave] c1 key: c1; c2 key: c#; c3 key; D. 

The01Habiitat

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
can someone send me the tech note, mine may be having the same issue, please send it to CBright9@gmail.com
Thanks
Clinton

shrimpizza

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
to get the tech note email tech support and tell them you need the calibration tech note. 

fyi--it has cost me over 20 bucks to send this to Bellingham to get fixed or to get a new one if they can't fix it--they told me the turnaround will be at minimum a month. 

i have to say this is a categorical "bad experience".  a friend bought one when it first came out and returned it immediately because he said he was having tuning issues that made performing with it impossible--I figured he was being hyper sensitive or picked up a lemon.  What really makes me mad is this seems to be a pattern (I did some research) and customer support did not handle it well and I am out a synth for god knows how long that I purchased to use in live performances. 

my advice for anyone is immediately contact technical support when having scaling and tuning problems.  these problems aren't simply typical analog synth behavior often.  you should be able to keep it in tune without having to crank your tuning knob all the way left or right and you should be able to count on a consistent scale. 

finally, my advice for Arturia is to treat your customers with respect, answer their emails, pay for shipping for returns and repair, and immediately accept returns on synths with this problem--they should be sending me a synth in the mail...I shouldn't be having to wait for months.

sorry for being so grouchy. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 12:51:08 am by shrimpizza »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines