March 28, 2024, 09:03:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Ableton template takes way too many knob turns to move parameters  (Read 6871 times)

Rob Roff

I'm using the Ableton script and it takes too many hardware knob rotations to change a parameter, like 6 or 7 for a full sweep on screen.

Absolute mode works pretty well when midi learning screen parameters but the script seems to work badly in that turning knobs is too sluggish. I've been assuming the Ableton remote script is meant to work with preset two, correct? (which uses relative mode).

thanks
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:05:20 am by Rob Roff »

Dav1d

Re: Ableton template takes way too many knob turns to move parameters
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 12:00:54 pm »
We have corrected the script and the firmware. Just to make sure, are you using these version:
==> http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/MiniLab/resources.html

The two first download links?
 :)

ms83

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 04:32:14 pm »
I'm currently experiencing this issue also. Updated to latest firmware, also using the ableton script as recommended, and Global settings on Midi control centre set to Fast, but when i'm controlling parameters on a native Ableton plug-in, like performing a frequency sweep on an Auto-Filter for example, it takes more than four rotations to complete a full-sweep with the Minilab, but with other MIDI controllers i have used in the past, it seems to achieve this in one or two max.

I've seen some other reports of this knob rotation issue like in the thread linked below, which describes the issue quite well:

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/index.php?topic=13422.0

Here you advised it's a Relative / Absolute issue and that the latest firmware update has fixed this problem. But i don't think it has, it's still behaving the same as prior to firmware update.

I purchased this controller earlier today and since unpacking it i've been pulling my hair out, troubleshooting some of the issues, like the relative/absolute one. Had to google search fixes which didn't seem too helpful at first until i finally stumbled across this forum and learnt about the firmware upgrade/ableton scripts i needed to install to fix the problem, but even after doing that, i'm left with this problem of rotation knobs changing parameters slowly (like Rob has mentioned above), despite doing everything you have advised in various threads to fix the issue. 

Any help would be appreciated, I'm contemplating on returning this controller soon, but if there is a definite fix for this, then i will hold off.

thanks

as400

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:54:53 pm »
Hi David, can you please stop telling us to put the controller in absolute mode and that the firmware is fixed?  Please submit a ticket to the development team Telling them we need an  "Ultrafast" knob accel mode".   

Basically we are just asking that for 1 rotation on the hardware, will be equal to 1 rotation in ableton, WHILE STAYING IN RELATIVE MODE.

Basically we all want to keep our controllers in RELATIVE mode.. so when we switch from instrument to instrument, the controls don't jump around.

If you still are having trouble understanding what we are asking for, please post your question here.  I would be more than happy to further clarify this.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:58:49 pm by as400 »

Goon

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 12:29:23 am »
Hi David, can you please stop telling us to put the controller in absolute mode and that the firmware is fixed?  Please submit a ticket to the development team Telling them we need an  "Ultrafast" knob accel mode".   

Basically we are just asking that for 1 rotation on the hardware, will be equal to 1 rotation in ableton, WHILE STAYING IN RELATIVE MODE.

Basically we all want to keep our controllers in RELATIVE mode.. so when we switch from instrument to instrument, the controls don't jump around.

If you still are having trouble understanding what we are asking for, please post your question here.  I would be more than happy to further clarify this.

Thank you.

I couldnt agree more, Arturia seem to be blaming us for their shoddy implementation of their hardware/software

Rob Roff

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 03:46:44 am »
We have corrected the script and the firmware. Just to make sure, are you using these version:
==> http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/MiniLab/resources.html

The two first download links?
 :)

Hi, yes I'm using the latest firmware and script.

Why do I get the feeling that nobody at Arturia has actually sat to use this thing?

Absolute mode works fine for generic midi learn, but with the ableton script, a solute mode doesn't work anyways. It appears to only work with relative mode. Which would be great if it didn't take so many turns to move the parameter. It should be one turn on hardware equals full turn of software parameter.

If you're unsure of the issue, talk to the guy who made the mini lab tutorial video. He's clearly having to turn the knobs a lot to move the parameters a little.

I just want to add that I don't think it should accelerate based on how quick the knob turns. I think it should be constant - a full knob turn should always be a full parameter sweep in software regardless of how fast or slow you move from one end to the other.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 03:50:45 am by Rob Roff »

rbocquier

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 02:18:30 pm »
The Live script is intended to be used with relative mode only.
We will release in the next days a new firmware release that will improve acceleration in relative mode.
Robert
Arturia team

Rob Roff

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 01:32:59 am »
We will release in the next days a new firmware release that will improve acceleration in relative mode.

Looking forward to it. Please let me know if you need a beta tester.

supergirl36

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 02:35:21 am »

Bring it on !

supergirl36

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 01:15:12 pm »

Waiting for new Ableton script since August 12th, if not earlier... Thanks.

Adrien

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 08:06:31 pm »
Hi

we are beta testing a fix for this this week and hope to make a release by friday or monday.
If you waant to test it send me a PM

best
Adrien Courdavault
DSP & Software engineer
Arturia

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines