March 19, 2024, 07:46:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keylab Keyboard Action  (Read 4392 times)

Ctopher7

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Keylab Keyboard Action
« on: August 02, 2013, 12:27:53 am »
Hi:

Can anyone comment on the keyboard action of the Keylab? Is the action firm? Soggy? Is the aftertouch easy to control? Are the pitch and mod wheels usable?

Thanks

Chris

jmcecil

Re: Keylab Keyboard Action
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 03:01:26 am »
It is a hair on the squishy side, but actually not too bad.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It's nowhere in the class of my Voyager, but much better than say the Oxygen, Novation and Akai keyboards I've tried.

Unfortunately I'm not a fan of the mod/pitch wheels.  The throw is far too short.  The wheels need to be much larger, but again .. some of those other keyboards it's still better than most of the cheapy keyboards.

Aftertouch is not very sensitive.  You can play it a little but it is very difficult to keep the value under 100.  But I can control that little bit of top end to some degree.  Maybe  with a little practice ...  Again, it isn't horrible, but it isn't great either.
cpu:i7 980x - RAM:12gb -  OS:Win8x64 - Interface:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 -  MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru -
Host: Cubase 6.5/7 x64 | Reaper 4.5 x64 |Wavelab 8 x64 - Arturia Stuff: V Collection | Spark | Keylab 61

Ctopher7

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 01:08:04 am »
Thanks for the thorough description. I thought the pitch/mod wheels appeared to be on the small side.

Army Of Ninjas

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 02:01:39 am »
The keys are very standard feeling semi-weighted type keys to my fingers.  Although they don't have the sticky feeling that the m-audios tend to have (which is nice).  The mod/pitch wheels although small feel very satisfying and solid.  The knobs, faders, pads, etc all feel very solid.  Very well built board.

Army Of Ninjas

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 11:18:41 pm »
Update  -

I love the action of this board.  I have been playing piano for 24 years, synths for 13 or so.  I play a lot of synth shred and like to play FAST.  This board can accomplish that with accuracy and good velocity response--more than I can say for 90% of the semi-weighted boards on the market.  The build quality is wonderful too.  That's what put me in the arturia camp over some of the other comparable boards.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines