March 19, 2024, 08:55:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Middle C Bumper assembly question  (Read 5588 times)

T3k

Middle C Bumper assembly question
« on: September 11, 2013, 02:22:42 am »
Hi!

Before I open a support ticket, thought I'd ask the forum.

Brand new Minibrute. 3 days later, middle C key was riding high. Saw the post about bumpers coming loose. Opened up the MiniBrute to check, and found that whatever the black plastic thing is called that the bumper sits on was cracked off.

Is this user-replacable for someone who can use a screwdriver and can follow directions? Maybe a replacement key bed is needed?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:26:37 am by T3k »

stevism

• Beta-testers
Re: Middle C Bumper assembly question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 06:31:12 am »
if it cracked like that i think they need to send you a replacement one.

i replaced a bumper (well, it was NEVER there in the first place, i had to install it) and it works fine almost a year later.

T3k

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 09:18:15 pm »
For anyone following this hot bumper action, I was able to glue the broken plastic part (that supports the bumper) back together.

The position of the key wasn't perfect after gluing, but a few pieces of tape on the inside of the key (the bottom of the little square structure where the bumper strikes on key-up) leveled it off the height. So far: looks and plays fine and is holding, and is a totally invisible repair.

If anyone has the same issue and basic motor skills, you might consider some superglue.

Thunderroad75

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 11:54:43 pm »
Would be interesting to know how long your repair holds up. Hopefully it will last. Just thinking if it's happened to one key it may happen to another one, hopefully not! Good luck with it.

I personally would have sent it back for a replacement.

T3k

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 06:04:02 pm »
Thunderroad75,

It might be because Middle C sits right on top of a domed screw hole, possibly overtightened in production? Don't know if those were done by hand or by machine. Just speculating.

I'm guessing it will hold up fine. Key-up pressure from the spring is not that intense. And I dabbed at the glue as it was drying, and it had picked up some black pigment from the plastic, bonding well.

I peeked at a few more keys and the bumper assemblies seemed fine.

Sometimes, returning things is more of a pain than its worth, as long as the kludge works well and is not cosmetically distracting. Looks and plays like a champion at day 3.

Thunderroad75

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 08:17:18 pm »
Yes I understand what your saying about returning things and if you feel it's working ok then all is good.  :)

T3k

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 06:33:23 pm »
Update: The repair I did has held. No problems with middle C.

However the B key right next to it broke in the same way. Fixed that one with glue as well.

Seems like the plastic is bad?

mantrak

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 08:43:04 pm »
Hi, I had the same problem with broken middle C bumper support. I managed to glue it back together and now it seems fine. I also asked Arturia for a spare, they gave me the link to my local distributor. They can apparently provide the spare for 20 euros. Good news for all of us worrying how long the glue will hold.  :)

frostyak

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 12:11:30 pm »
Hi, I had same problem with Mid C and glued it.. but now the aftertouch doesn't work. Does anyone have experience with this kind of problem?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines