March 28, 2024, 09:49:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Hey Arturai! I want to buy a Minilab - Should I because there seem to be issues?  (Read 3761 times)

robin.mackenzie

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Hi,

I'm an experienced user of audio software and outboard gear. I really would like a Minilab to audition sounds and tweak within Ableton 9. I was just about to buy one then saw there is a lot of negative feedback around this product.

Could users or Arturia themselves confirm if all issues around using this in Ableton 9 have been resolved? Will I be able to map the dials/buttons to any parameter in Live and not experience any problems?

Thanks

edpdx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Hey Robin,

I have had this product since it came out. Here are a few thoughts on my behalf:

Pros:

-sexy mini-keyboard
 -5k of sounds
 -software has endless posibilties
 -plenty of knobs
 -light and easy to carry around

Cons:

-horrible customer service(slow to no response)
 -buggy software product

I use mine as a general MIDI controller under Sonar X2. The most annoying problem with me is that Windows8 will not recognize the keyboard more than 80% percent of the time, so I have to go through the whole recognition process from scratch.

So in a nutshell, if you want stability, look elsewhere. If you can live waiting for the moment when all the issues are resolved then buy it.

Hope this helps you!
Ed
http://macjams.com/artist/edpdx

robin.mackenzie

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
A little, thanks.

My primary concern is that a lot of issues have been reported using this product with Ableton 9. I will primarily be using it as a controller in Live 9 e.g. tweaking synth/VST parameters, macros, arpeggiator speed etc.

There are a lot of reports of odd responses once parameters have been mapped e.g. rapidly jumping values, poor resolution (so 5 turns required to go from value 1 to 127)

These are the sorts of things I would like some confidence in from Arturia or from users, before purchasing one.

Thanks

edpdx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice

A little advice!

DO NOT buy Arturia's mimi-lab. Based on the postings regarding the many issues with Ableton and many other systems, it is better to stay away from purchasing it. On top of that Arturia has a horrible reputation on getting back to its customers on any issue.

edpdx

robin.mackenzie

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Many thanks edpdx

I guess when asking the question "Should I buy your Minilab product Arturia?", it would have been nice for them to just say "Our product is awesome and you should buy it, there are no major issues with Ableton"

Getting a green light from Arturia is literally the only thing stopping me buy one.

It's a great shame because the Minilab looks awesome in theory, and if they behaved how they should in my DAW I'd be all over it, singing its praises around the web and using it in my live set.

How frustrating. Maybe it's back to the drawing board for the time being?  :(

edpdx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Hey Robin,

It is a shame that your post did not generate a response from Arturia, specially when asking a direct question regarding your interest in buying their product.

BTY! Check out Novation's Launchkey mini. Seems like something that would suit your needs.

edpdx

witchmaster

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I would recommend you NOT to buy the Minilab. The Analog Lab uses way to much cpu and the knobs are unusable (read: very glitchy).

jdmmade

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Personally anything than this heap of no good sh*t would do fine, the MPK mini would run great or the launch key mini like edpdx said.  You know what's sad arturia?  We need to make suggestions to other products cause you know damn well that yours doesn't function out of the box. :)

Legal action anyone?

http://www.change.org/petitions/arturia-musical-instruments-minilab-this-petition-requests-fixes-that-pertain-to-the-minilab-unit-the-encoders-and-software-are-severely-unstable-regardless-of-the-recent-updates-this-problem-has-been-neglected-for-almost-a-year
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 11:41:30 pm by jdmmade »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines