March 29, 2024, 10:57:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Using MicroBrute with other synths  (Read 5903 times)

bolovintsev

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • My music
Using MicroBrute with other synths
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:30:02 pm »
Hi!
I have MicroBrute, MS20 Mini and SlimPhatty synths and one master midi keyboard.
1. When I play them all using master keyboard MicroBrute is always an octave higher. Is it normal behaviour? If yes, could it be fixed in next firmware updates or it's non fixable due to synth construction?
2. When I tried to use MicroBrute sequencer with Korg and Mg (using cv gate and pitch ouputs) I got bad results (all notes were out of tune) - seems like both Korg and Mg uses different cv scaling. Am I right?
My music: chitoon.com

KrisM

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Using MicroBrute with other synths
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 06:38:24 pm »
Korg uses hertz per volt for it's VCO pitch tracking, Mg uses volts per octave.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 06:53:15 pm by KrisM »

bolovintsev

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • My music
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 09:04:05 pm »
That means that Mg should work with pitch cv out well, but it doesn't.
I found that SlimPhatty tracks at .97 volts per octave so I think there are no chances to connect my MicroBrute sequencer with Mg...
My music: chitoon.com

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 09:17:06 am »
Korg uses hertz per volt for it's VCO pitch tracking, Mg uses volts per octave.
indeed
I found that SlimPhatty tracks at .97 volts per octave so I think there are no chances to connect my MicroBrute sequencer with Mg...
you should check, by I think there is a way to fine tune it on the Mg.
Bruno
Arturia Hardware

KrisM

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 07:45:17 pm »
TE's Black Friday started today, 15% off everything, and their Oplab manual says something that might be of usefulness to the OP.

"It’s always in V/Oct mode (see CV OUT section), so Oplab can be used as a V/Oct to Hz/V converter. CCVV12 is for modulation data and translates into "Mod wheel" MIDI data."

$254 now, normally $300, and it has two USB host ports. Seems a great companion to the MicroBrute :)

bartleby

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 08:24:39 am »
in january, the harvestman announced a eurorack module called 'the english tear' which can convert between hz/v (vintage korg) and v/oct (vintage arp, Mg, roland, modern analog gear), and between s-trig (vintage korg and Mg) and v-trig (vintage arp, roland, modern gear) in both directions. this would be perfect for translating between the ms20 (mini) and the rest of the world. not sure if it ever got released, though.

it would essentially replicate the functionality of the korg ms-02. but those are rare and hard to get by these days. and if you do find one, expect to pay absurdly inflated 'zomg no Mg nor arp nor oberheim vintage analog' prices.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 09:28:39 am by bartleby »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines