March 28, 2024, 02:36:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Minibrute synced to Volca Beats drum machine  (Read 31783 times)

LucaPanzer

Minibrute synced to Volca Beats drum machine
« on: January 14, 2014, 05:03:09 pm »
Hello,
I'm Luca from Italy.
I bought a new Arturia Microbrute, and I want to sync it to a Korg Volca Beats drum machine.

I tried to connect the sync out signal of the Volca Beats to the Gate in of the Microbrute, as I saw in this video at 14':20"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkviXfTPGKs
but the connection doesn't work: even if I don't touch anything a rapid sound comes out from the microbrute (the step sequencer is off). If I try to play something the sound hasn't got the sustain and the decay I've chosen. Is there something wrong in the connection between microbrute and volca beats?
Should I use another input on microbrute?

thanks

Luca

Schprocket

Re: Minibrute synced to Volca Beats drum machine
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 03:17:28 pm »
Tried forum search - can't find anything helpful because most other users already have this working but don't mention how they set up the MB in the Connection software.

Looked in the MB manual and the MB Connection manual, nothing there either.

I was aware from the same Tony Horgan video referenced by the OP that this could be done but it's frustrating that there is no Google search returning results with explicit details on how this is achieved.

As I see it it should be straightforward - Gate voltage levels match, just use the Volca Beats sync cable and all should be good but all I get is just an audible click synced to the gate in pulse

The attached screenshot is how my software is set up as it is now for internal triggering. All I do to try to get the Gate In sync is set the Step On to Gate

All details re: software setup and rate knob setup or a link to the location where this information may be found will be appreciated.. by at least one more novice :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:53:35 pm by Schprocket »

transparent

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 10:03:24 am »
Syncing between volca beats and mb working here only one way: mb gate out -> volca sync in ... its more than nothing anyway but i do not understand why do not work volca sync out -> mb gate in

Would be great to know because the mb gate out sends "rest" messages also to volca, so the beat starts and stops as the mb seq pattern does. Sometimes it gives an interesting result anyway.

That's possible the mb gate in simply does not work ?  how can i test it if i haven't any other cv/gate devices ?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 02:02:15 pm by transparent »

ben arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:24:45 am »
With the MB sequencer off just connect MB gate into sync out of the volca. This should trigg the MB.
.......testing.......

SuperflyTNT1974

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 10:54:56 am »
This works fine for me. What I do is...

Volca Beats sync out to Microbrute gate in. In the Connection software I set to step on gate, that's all. (If set to step on clock I just get a note played repeatedly which sounds very much like Schprocket's reported click if the Release is set low).

Press play on Volca Beats, flip Microrute sequencer on, all sync'd up fine.

I also go one step further, midi out of another synth into midi in on Volca Beats. If set up correctly the other synth's clock is now the master for all 3 devices, all 3 devices sync'd nicely.

transparent

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 11:02:08 pm »
With the MB sequencer off just connect MB gate into sync out of the volca. This should trigg the MB.

Yes ... triggering the MB but plays only one note on repeat if MB seq off, but won't tempo sync to MB sequencer this way, should be ?

Edit: connection sw is freezing continously so i can't set from clk to gate probably thats why ... ok im tired of it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:16:46 pm by transparent »

transparent

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 09:16:31 am »
Solved now.

Btw my microbrute remain silent yesterday (not just the sequencer, the whole machine.. zero audio, neither on headphones) ... it was the twice occassion .... (of course all the connections was tested, everything was fine, all my other synths worked properly) i'm suspecting the buggy firmware does this because after i started messing with the connection software and reboot the machine for a few times it started working again. Strange anyway.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:26:53 am by transparent »

transparent

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 09:26:04 am »
-

KRS

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 03:06:59 pm »
Syncing between volca beats and mb working here only one way: mb gate out -> volca sync in ... its more than nothing anyway but i do not understand why do not work volca sync out -> mb gate in

Would be great to know because the mb gate out sends "rest" messages also to volca, so the beat starts and stops as the mb seq pattern does. Sometimes it gives an interesting result anyway.

That's possible the mb gate in simply does not work ?  how can i test it if i haven't any other cv/gate devices ?

It's neither the only, nor the best way to sync those two machines!
The most 'clean' way to do the trick is to connect the MB's LFO (square) to the volcas sync in.
Sync the LFO to the sequencer and use the LFO's rate knob as a tempo divider.

The only pity: You don't have an internal LFO left for modulation. You might think about expending the MB's possibilities with a modular system ;)

synthcat

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 03:04:11 am »
thanks for that tip, KRS! :)

Schprocket

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 01:50:16 pm »
All - been a while since I checked this but it would seem that time has brought some good results.

Thanks to all for the suggestions... now all there is left to do is ...PLAY!!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:56:10 pm by Schprocket »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines