March 28, 2024, 05:24:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Has original Spark hardware been discontinued?  (Read 6557 times)

ConanB

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Has original Spark hardware been discontinued?
« on: February 01, 2014, 07:34:10 pm »
It's not available from Arturia site anymore, it's not available from Thomann anymore. Anybody know what the story is? And what it might mean for the original hardware version? With the Spark 2 update will the original hardware be left behind? New version planned? Spark LE gonna become the main supported hardware?
Sorry for all the questions but I have Spark LE and have the chance to pick up original Spark so I'm just wondering if I can get this info before I go and get it. Thanks.

mcx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Has original Spark hardware been discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 03:02:19 am »
yes it has been discontinued for quite a while now like yourself i checked all the suppliers but a few days ago picked up a mint one 2nd hand i would recommend a spark especially as you say you can source one

mpc60champ

• Beta-testers
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 03:45:31 am »
If you can find one get one. I like mine a lot. I like programming drums on it more than I do on my ableton push pads. If you're used to writing loops/ ideas on an MPC then it will come second nature to you with the spark.

LeRoi

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 07:35:12 pm »
Any chance that they will bring back this interface? The spark le just seems not as intuitive to me.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 05:22:42 pm »
Hi, the spark cdm controller  is discontinued but will live on in spark 2 if you have the controller , i have asked if theres a new controller coming and i have been told there are no plans at the moment. but you never know what arturia are up to until near release.

regards

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

timrfrench61@yahoo.com

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 12:44:41 am »
I also would recommend you buy it if you can find it at a reasonable price (ignore Amazon: Top Price: $2193 today!). Just make sure you browbeat your seller into getting you the license or get it transferred at Arturia. It was a real pain for me and Arturia was more than helpful <thumbs-up />

JuliusPuech

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 11:47:34 am »
Hi, the spark cdm controller  is discontinued but will live on in spark 2 if you have the controller , i have asked if theres a new controller coming and i have been told there are no plans at the moment. but you never know what arturia are up to until near release.

regards

Terrym

I was looking for the Spark controller to, but if it is discontinued and even if the 2.0 software applies to it, I'm not sure I will go for one. It might not work with future updates and become quicly outdated, specially as it has no stand alone mode... Too bad, because it looked like just what I needed  :'( But as you say, there's still a chance Arturia will release a new Spark hardware, maybe with a stand alone mode  ::) But once again, if this happens, I'd rather wait for it than buying a Spark V1.

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 01:01:54 pm »
Hi , not sure what you mean by no standalone .. i use it all the time in standalone mode .

terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

JuliusPuech

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 03:12:03 pm »
Sorry, the word wasn't really appropriate because , yes, it is standalone... What I meant is that the Spark can't be used away from the computer.

As a software based drum machine, one of his main advantage relies on the fact it will evolve with software evolution while as a controller it depends on its integration and compatibility with all his digital environment (computer, OS, DAW, VST...) and it will needs constant software / pluggins / codecs upgrades to adapt the evolution of those technologies... So far, Arturia has offered very good upgrades and still does with the promising 2.0 spark software version, but one can wonder if they will carry on for a discontinued hardware...

That's also why I was dreaming about a possible new Spark hardware, which would be a real "hybrid" equipment combining an analog standalone drum machine and a midi controler for VSTs, with lots of controls (pots, pads, switches, sliders !)  ;D ... Something that could compete with all the NI Maschine MK2, Elektron Analog Rytm or Dave Smith Tempest... and which will hopefully blow away the Aira TR8 !

That would make sens to me that Arturia develop such a top end hybrid drum machine / controller to complete its range with the Beatstep and the SparkLE. Well, that's just me dreaming  ::)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:27:13 pm by JuliusPuech »

Kosmology

• Beta-testers
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 03:52:19 pm »
Spark v2 Beta is working fine with the CDM hardware, you can switch the Skin so that it looks like the old Spark if you don't have Sparkle. You can even use it with the Sparkle Skin if you want to, works as it always did. There are a few bugs as yet but they are getting through them nicely.

I think it is a great Controller, I also have it mapped to Geist which works very well apart from the XOXO stuff, but I use those buttons for solos and selecting the current Channel. I have to point out that the inability to map the XOXO in Geist is down to Geist not providing any way of controlling it rather than a CDM problem.

It would be great to have a hardware Spark, but I think it would probably cost a lot based on the price of Origin, but yes it would be very good!

LPHovercraft

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 11:47:08 pm »
I sort-of kind-of get what you mean by the power of standalone, but that comes at a time and hardware cost. Then there's also the limitation of 'embedded' firmware based updates (both in dev effort and in logistics - see the Origin)

I have set up my laptop to run in 'headless' mode, basically to *not* turn off/sleep/stand-by the machine when the lid is closed. That at least reduces the number of distractions, though you still have to carry the hardware around and connect everything. Then i have the option to run my (dual touch screen) laptop in order to control other aspects of the set if/when the demand is there.

I've worked a lot with embedded, and personally I prefer the trade-off of hauling around a laptop in order to have creative and logistical flexibility. Maybe you can find an MC type unit used for cheap?

BTW - i saw an original Spark at the Sam Ash in Hollywood for $299US. Thought about buying it as a backup unit.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 11:50:00 pm by LPHovercraft »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines