March 19, 2024, 07:03:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: 49 Keys Compatibility  (Read 4679 times)

seancan44

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
49 Keys Compatibility
« on: February 06, 2014, 12:42:45 pm »
Ok guys, this is my first delve into a Hybrid synth and know just about nothing about it yet.  Still very new and learning at the moment. One question that I have which I can't seem to find anywhere is whether I can only use the 49 Keys controller with the Analog Laboratory software or can I find another program to use it as the controller with?  For instance, lets say there was a keyboard program that I wanted to use it with, is that possible?  Does the 49 Keys Controller ONLY operate with Arturia software?

CurtisOneill

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: 49 Keys Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 06:10:26 pm »
Hey, It works as a MIDI controller in other software's like FL Studio (Which I Use). However i don't think it works as a keyboard in any other.
Which is a mega pain in the ass, plus i don't think Arturia will refund you for this because i have seen them to be quite greedy.

Hope this helped buddy :)

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

jazzboxmaker

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Vinny Colletti Custom Stringed Instruments
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 01:53:28 pm »
If you're asking can it be used with other vsti's to play notes, samples, drums the answer is yes.
If you set the keyboard as the input to the track, it will play the vsti.
MIDI controller functions are setup in your DAW's "MIDI Learn" function for each vsti so you can control individual parameters.
Also you can configure the transport keys to perform some functions in your DAW using the MIDI Control Center, I have Play,Stop,Record enabled and set Rew,FF and Loop
to "Toggle" in the MIDI CC. I use this to toggle switches in my vsti's

If you take the time to explore, you'll find the keyboard can be quite useful
Vinny
The Laboratory 49 key, Analog Laboratory 1.5.2
Samplitude ProX-

Studio DAW: Win 8x64 /MB GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS5 / Core 2 Quad Q8400 /8GB Ram/  Focusrite Saffire Pro Liquid 56, Focusrite Octopre Dynamic

Remote DAW: 17" Macbook Pro Bootcamp W8x64, I7 2.4, 8GB ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24DSP

seancan44

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 04:12:06 pm »
Hey guys,  I really appreciate the input.  So do you guys have any recommendations on some DAW's to check out?  I don't have anything at the moment and have just been using the Analog Laboratory as a stand-alone for practice.  Like I said, I'm very new to all of this, but I'll be doing my own research on some DAW's to check out as well as some more VSTi plugins.   I would still be interested to hear if any of you had an opinion.  I'll probably hop on a few more forums, read reviews, check compatibility etc.  I would love to be able to use this controller for a whole host of sounds outside the Analog Laboratory

CurtisOneill -  You said I could apply this as a controller in FL Studio?  What are the benefits of FL Studio?  How would it be for a beginner user like myself?  I also so in the thread that TonyFlyingSquirrel linked me to, that you said you couldn't use the 49keys as a controller for piano plugins in FL Studio?

TonyFlyingSquirrel - So TonyFlyingSquirrel as your DAW you use Roland/Cakewalk's Sonar Producer Edition 8?  Any recommendations on a DAW for a beginner? Do I NEED to have a DAW to use various plugins?  I see you mention Emu's E3 Software sampler and Roland's Real Piano (is this Roland V-Piano?) for piano VSTi's; can these only be utilized via a DAW or can I use them without a DAW? I'm a a big fan of Roland products btw, so I'm interested in your review.

I just want to reiterate; I am in the learning process with all of this, so if I'm way off base or don't understand the relationship between DAW and VSTi then please be patient with me as I work through this unbelievable expansive field.

Lastly, I'm probably not as interested in drum machine sounds at the moment. I own a Roland TD-9 electronic drum kit and I'm pretty happy with the sounds I get from that.  Also, the kit has an amazing feel to it too.  I've never tried it as a controller though (obviously since I'm still in the market for software), but that does open up options done the road if it can be utilized as a controller.  I don't even know if that's possible with that kit yet.

jazzboxmaker

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Vinny Colletti Custom Stringed Instruments
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 06:11:01 pm »
SeanC
Really depends on what you want to do. You can just go with standalone instruments-Piano etc.  Plugins (VST & VSTI) are run inside a DAW
If you want to record/compose etc look at Sonar, Cubase, Studio One, Samplitude and Reaper.  An inexpensive choice and easiest to start with would be one of the "Lite" versions of these.  Check out the demos and then pick.
Vinny
The Laboratory 49 key, Analog Laboratory 1.5.2
Samplitude ProX-

Studio DAW: Win 8x64 /MB GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS5 / Core 2 Quad Q8400 /8GB Ram/  Focusrite Saffire Pro Liquid 56, Focusrite Octopre Dynamic

Remote DAW: 17" Macbook Pro Bootcamp W8x64, I7 2.4, 8GB ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24DSP

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 03:54:51 pm »
I must concur with Jazzboxmaker.

If you wish to record, then a DAW is applicable.

If all you want is a computer full of VST's and you want to use your 49 as the master controller, you can do that also, but personally, I use mine in conjunction with recording.  Once in a while, if all I intend to do is to check out sounds to reference later during recording, I'll open up one of the VST's in "stand alone" mode, but that is rare.  Usually, I'll record a midi track, and then set loop points so that I can scroll through presets as the loop plays over and over until I find the sound that best fits what I want to accomplish for that recorded part.  When it comes to writing/recording, this is where I think that VST's, and all soft synths for that matter, excel.

Bite off more than you can chew, then start chewing. Apple iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-core i7 (Mid 2011) MC814LL/A RAM:20GB, Hard Drive:1.0TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Opt Drive:SuperDrive-DL,  Vid Card:AMD Radeon HD 6970M, Audio Interface: Avid Fast Track Duo, Midi I/O: Arturia, Analog Exp.The Lab 49, V-Col-5

seancan44

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 04:09:35 pm »
jazzboxmaker & TonyFlyingSquirrel,

Thank you, both of you.  I believe that you guys have more or less answered the questions that I have at the moment.  You guys are great.  +1 

My goal is to record eventually, but I'm not at that level yet. I have quite a ways to go, particularly on any keys.  My girlfriend is the real keyboard playe and I'm still learning. I play guitar and drums though, but have never done any serious recording.  So, like I said before, recording is my goal, but I see it a little way out on the horizon at the moment.  In the near future, it is my plan to just start recording more seriously. I particularly like the idea of looping some tracks.

Like jazzboxmaker said, I could definitely achieve some of my goals with standalone instruments, but I'm trying to avoid compiling a bunch of equipment.  I'm really drawn to the idea of having everything on my computer.  Especially, when having to move equipment around.  Taking a MIDI controller and a computer seems easier than taking a synth and a piano and a drum machine, etc.  Not too mention cost effectivity.  In the future I can always upgrade from "Lite" versions if I need more options.

Agian, thank you both for fielding my questions.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

• Beta Tester
    • WOR PARTY
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 05:28:51 pm »
I really do believe that the future of synthesis for the most part will see more keys players doing the latter, using a controller along with a lap top to access their entire arsenal of synths with their library all right there in the box.

Don't get me wrong, I love the hardware, hands-on aspect of hardware, but I'm seeing more players live doing what I just described.
In fact, I see it on a weekly basis even in our church worship environment at Mars Hill/Tacoma.  I've never seen any of the keys players utilize a hardware synth.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines