March 28, 2024, 11:02:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Midi input mapping  (Read 1694 times)

gospelkeys

Midi input mapping
« on: May 21, 2015, 05:48:18 pm »
Hi all

I am considering purchasing a keylab 88. I have question that I have not been able to find an answer to from the manuals online. Hoping someone here can help.

For the midi in - can you rempap an incoming midi message to something else and send it to the midi out? For example an incoming channel aftertouch message to a midi CC?

Alternatively - I assume when hooked up to a laptop the midi in, midi out appear to a vst host as midi ports and the midi in is merged with midi messages generated by the keylab?

Thanks in advance.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
Re: Midi input mapping
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 06:32:15 pm »
I imagine that this would have to be done by the other units midi. You would send that CC number and apply it to the desired parameter, as long as the receiving devise is set up to react to that, you should be fine. When you have a midi in and out connected, each message would pass through. Unless that device was the required device you wanted to control.

Lets say you have a master keyboard and a bunch of rack units each on a different midi address, each has it's own CC values and address in which to communicate. If you wanted a control a unit at the end of the chain, the messages would just pass through the other units and get to the desired unit via it's address and CC.

What specifically do you want to do?

Cheers, Stuart

Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

gospelkeys

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 06:47:32 pm »
I have a roland AX synth that would be plugged into the midi input.

The ax synth has a dial that transmits channel aftertouch ( you can't change that - big oversight on their part ). I need to map the channel aftertouch to midi CC 7. I can do that using a midi plug-in in the vst host or a midi solutions event processor.

I was hoping the keylab could be configured to do that transation.

So the keylab would do the midi mergr but not the translation - correct?

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 07:18:41 pm »
In order to control the aftertouch via the Keylab? If so, yes that should be possible to control the AX via the keylab and all it's midi parameters.  I'm not sure that the aftertouch can be modified as far as CC goes. CC 7 is usually device volume

Cheers, Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7