March 28, 2024, 11:37:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: it's all perfectly, nicely, boringly QUIET!  (Read 9582 times)

omissis

it's all perfectly, nicely, boringly QUIET!
« on: May 16, 2007, 12:37:56 am »
Sad that people still fight to get a restyiling of the old CS80V while nothing moves inside arturia for trying at least to realise what the improvements should be, as many people reported them on bugbases and elsewhere. Should we take it as a purpose to discontinue the product after its sale parabole will drop off?

:roll:
Max

a CS-80Vist

slammah2012

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 01:51:54 am »
Sad that people still fight to get a restyiling of the old CS80V while nothing moves inside arturia for trying at least to realise what the improvements should be, as many people reported them on bugbases and elsewhere. Should we take it as a purpose to discontinue the product after its sale parabole will drop off?

I am not Getting what you are Saying..........I found it quiet here over the last while but compared to the other Arturian products, The CS80 V seems to be the one with the least amount of Complaints about functionality........just look at the other arturia stuff, problems with XP and Vista and Universal Binary glitches etc etc.......

Atleast the CS80v Is working well enough to test and recognize differences so we can give input,,,,
I am pretty Anal when it comes to the pure CS80 Sound, and from working with multiple 80s,   the Arturia80v "sound" is smack in the middle of the yamahas...
"No two 80s are exactly alike"...you set the presets to match by ear... not by Eye....
The playability does differ with portamento and sustain as far as oscillator rotation goes.......but each progressive update "barring 1.6" has gotten arturia closer to the originAL.......

With all the problem UB and new OSs are offering the other softsynths and the fore into hardware land with the "O".......I am sure some hands are full right now............CS80v2.0 "if it is on the board" will be delayed most likely for some time........ A true Emulation in all variations will be well worth our wait........

Sweep

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 03:37:15 am »
While this is going on I'm working extensively with the CS80V, making music.  It's proving very useful for two projects I have going on right now.

How much does absolute emulation really matter, unless you're trying to copy someone else?  The CS80V sounds bloody good like it is.  In fact when I did the original demo for one of the things I'm working on right now, the person I sent it to was amazed to find it was a piece of computer software.

Ultimately this is what it's all about - for me as a musician, anyway - making music.  And the CS80V does make music, and does it excellently.

slammah2012

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 05:58:35 am »
Yes....It does sound like a CS80....I would have given up on it if it didn't.....
The Fact is ..........It just doesnt play like one.......thats what I am after......
How much does absolute emulation really matter, unless you're trying to copy someone else? The CS80V sounds bloody good like it is. In fact when I did the original demo for one of the things I'm working on right now, the person I sent it to was amazed to find it was a piece of computer software.

Ultimately this is what it's all about - for me as a musician, anyway - making music. And the CS80V does make music, and does it excellently.

Well Friend......Quite alot for me because I use a real CS80 regularly in studio and live on stage......50 % of  my performance relies on what the CS80s backbone  can do in our show that no other keyboard to date..... can do......and that list of CS80 abilities is long....(48volt sonics is one that will never roll of a computer sound card)
the Arturia has gained ground with the 80v but some performance glitches with oscillator rotation screw up the portamento start and end points with sustain II in play....SusII is a version of mono/poly...portamento operates fully polyphonic between chords, however a melodic solo lick can be played on top of chords in this mode and the portamanto adjusts to "last note replaced" .... the portamento is now monophonic between the melody notes....even with a chord under lying.......the next chord steals from the mono line the start point of the portamento which spreads out to fill out the chord .........
Ive lugged one of 2 of these around since the early 80s.......in an all original band.........so I am not copying someone else......I am repeating myself and replicating performance......and trust me ......no work around or extensive programing on any other synths I have to date can perform along with me like the CS80..........
Thats how important it is...........to me....and my discision with arturias upcoming "Origin"....the CS80 must be right for that purchase.....
Besides CS80.(stud/live)...I use
Hammond M3,studio
Elka Rhapsody Strings,St
ARP AXXE, st
rol JX3p, st
yam DX7,st
(rol D50,-----damaged)
rol D110,live
rol Mkb1000,st
emu Proteus,st
ens SQ80,st
alesisQuadraSynthplus,st/live
(rolSH1000,---damaged)
yam CS70M,st
KORG Radias,st/live
rol VK7,live
ASB Creamware Prodyssey, st /live

Sweep

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 12:53:11 pm »
Ok, point taken in your case.  It sounds like what you really need is a six thousand pound synth and not a hundred and twenty pound piece of software, though.

Most musicians wouldn't be in your situation, and the fact remains that the Arturia is a very useable instrument, even if it isn't perfect.  I respect you for making your own music.

This is a problem many musicians have, of course, if they've been playing for a while.  The ones I know tend to move on to new instruments, though a couple of MiniMg users have bought the Creamware system.  They tend not to play exactly what they recorded years ago, though, and live performances now are new interpretations, not reproductions of the original albums, which helps - and also keeps the music fresh.

With all due respect to you, and apologies for sounding dismissive, my concern is that new musicians will be put off the Arturia instruments by negative comments that wouldn't actually have much bearing on what they'd find if they bought the instruments to make new music.  If that happens too often, there won't be any Arturia company to make updates in the future.  I'm concerned about that happening, as well as concerned about people not discovering just what can be done with these instruments.

slammah2012

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 03:01:06 pm »
there is nothing negative to say about the CS80v
The Sound of the synth is Hauntingly CS80...
....It weighs less than 200 pounds,and costs under 300 bucks.......

It has Features the CS80 never had..........like MIDI, multimode,user selectable oscillator rotations,multi timbrality, stable tuning,more than 4 user presets,(modulation matrix-source/ destination/ amt+/-) osc SYNC mode, triangle wave, DigDelay,polyphony selectable lfos,Arpegiator,mod wheel.........and many,(not all) of the parameters meet and exceed ranges the cs80 was limited by.........BTW a good thorough tuning and filter alignment at the electronic shop will cost about $800.00 a visit if the tech is familiar with a CS80.......
With that said
the progressive updates Arturia has made, have addressed many of my wants towards the original......Not by deleting the original CS80v 1.0 functions, but by adding the CS80 faithfull ones..... like the ribbon range now has a selectable CS80 mode, like the individual osc (1-8)tuning..."right click on arturia", SUSTAIN I now responds correctly with the pitch on release function(try it ...long release ....repeat a key while you ribbon down and listen),,,,,
these are subtle things which a CS80 newbie would never notice or miss.....
there are many of these great little things on the original that lurk there untill you discover it.......then you have to tell somebody.........
I think people will really appreciate what more can be reproduced from the Yamaha80 if they can also select them with what Arturia has already given them.....

I salute Arturia for there Kudos.... and respect them for listening and responding to earlier concerns......

That......My friend .......Should never scare Customers away...............

Sweep

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 04:37:07 pm »
Agreed. :)  I'm glad you said all of that.

And I know just what you mean when you say `Hauntingly CS80.'  I decided to buy the CS80V when I downloaded the demo and just played one note.  Even at that point, before anything else, before doing my own programming I thought `that's brilliant.  I really should have one of these.'

Ted Perlman

• http://www.tedperlman.com
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 08:22:31 pm »
Quote from: "Sweep"
And the CS80V does make music, and does it excellently.

You've obviously never had to deal with anyone at the company itself.

Good luck - the chances of getting through are almost nil, and if you do happen to talk to anyone at Arturia, you'll find out (sorry to say) that they are probably some of the nastiest people you'll ever encounter in the music business. Which probably explains why they are so unresponsive - they are trying to keep that fact a secret.

slammah2012

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 03:38:43 am »
Yes Ted.. :cry: ..I hear you....You were formaly endorsed from Arturia back when You used to write patches for Arturia.......But later lost the priveledge when they said you didn't write in enough "Quotes , Comments or pitches".
I see you all over the Arturia Forums showing your "Hurts and pains"....and you are fully entitled to that........

However You must be made aware  that there have been many updates suggested by other users, that have been Implemented.......Arturia have listened to me, Replied to me, and have added my suggestions to updates 1.2 and 1.5..........

Nobody has offered me anything else to say that......I am impressed with the CS80V..as a Yamaha CS80 owner.......(Brass....not so much)........but atleast I am getting across to them...........

Is there Something You would like me to relay to Arturia which is concerning the betterment of Arturia Software and Hardware????

or,

would you like to explain your problems to the paying Customers???

omissis

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 10:06:45 pm »
Yeah, Laurie and all the others: CS80V deserves honour but...what about if the developers cared for some more details? On the other hand I wasn't supporting a complete re-writing of the synth, just some things to fine tune what we actually have which proves to be a very nice synth; the V doesn't need to be moved to a supposed next level, but to care for the details helpes the tool be more responsive: during the past we groupers found that:

1) you couldn't do a decent trill through the ribbon because the pitch glided unlike the original

2) you couldn't have a realistic ringmodulation although a complete beginner like me proved it could be done tremendously realistic with some simple means

3) you couldn't have a decent management of the presets , being known that the original acted as a two layers synth.

do these look like tremendous evolutions? I believe not; and to leave room for an UB version in 2 years sounds quite like «boys this one is a gonner» kind of thing.
My wish is to have the devs still able to detect what is good to improve the synths and this one especially which seems like the best of the pack except for the amazing update to the MiniMg.
Max

a CS-80Vist

slammah2012

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 02:06:52 am »
I know it isn't quite like the Xavier Days right now....Is he still kickin around here or there??? does he have a grasp of the code and could he modify our baby???

omissis

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 10:32:57 pm »
Yeah, Xavier is working for another french soft company which is best know for having put out a new kind of an equaliser and an EMS5000 vocoder plug in which sound among the very best of the whole bunch; he would like to do a new synth and believes that the sound path of the CS80 is the most interesting of all the polysynths ever done in the past; but to make him put out some of the code is extremely unlikely because, as obvious, the code is under copyright and, most of all, he hasn't neither time nor plan to do a synth any time soon  :(
Max

a CS-80Vist

Sweep

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 12:43:29 pm »
Thanks for that. I wondered what happened and whether Xavier was still with Arturia or not.

slammah2012

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 03:45:50 am »
as obvious, the code is under copyright and, most of all, he hasn't neither time nor plan to do a synth any time soon

Isn't that funny, a company that designs code to digitaly recreate or emulate  an analog synth that is  patented and almost public domain , is worried about copyright infringement.........What are they McDonald's???

You are aware McDonalds is trying to patent the word "Sandwich"??? its in the courts as we speak........

Code: [Select]
what a funny world....you can take a picture of me in public without my permission, but I can't take a picture of that picture without your permission

We dont want Xavier to Copy the "Arturia Code"... We want him to Digitally Copy the original Analog "Yamaha CS80" .... It must be obvious now that there is a difference between the two.....If Xavier happens to stumble on some keystrokes in his quest for the tru emu, Wouldnt it be a pat on Arturias Back if their code was "close" to his code if he Nails it??? :lol:

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines