March 28, 2024, 06:04:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Transfer Patches from one computer to another  (Read 11481 times)

Gary Schank

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.schanklaw.com
Transfer Patches from one computer to another
« on: September 04, 2007, 06:03:28 pm »
I recently purchased a computer to dedicate to the MMV.  How do I transfer stored patches from the old computer to the new?  Thanks.

Vincent T

• http://www.arturia.com
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 09:03:36 am »
hmmm...with the export button in the presets toolbar?  :mrgreen:
Vincent
DSP Arturia

Gary Schank

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 04:21:04 pm »
Thanks for the advice on transfer of patches.  I know synthesizers well, having played them since the '70's.  However, with computers, I am at mid-level.  When I click on the "Export" button, a screen pops up that lets me SAVE the patch, with the file saying, ".amb".  However, I am not able to locate the file, or send it somewhere.  Can you let me know how, for instance, people post their patches, etc..  This would allow me to send it to my other computer.  Thanks.

Vincent T

• http://www.arturia.com
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 04:38:19 pm »
just put a name ('my_patch.amb' for instance) and save in on the desktop of your computer, you will be able to find it more easily, and so to be able to copy it to a USB key or send it by mail..
Vincent
DSP Arturia

Sweep

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 07:36:46 pm »
I think this may be what you need? -

Overview:

1) use EXPORT on your old computer. to create copies of the patches you want to transfer.

2) Use IMPORT on your new computer to bring the patches into your new PC's copy of MMV.

Detail:

Using export to make backups of your patches is advisable anyway, as with any computer files.

I find the best way to work is to export the subbanks, as it's easier to keep a track of what's been backed up, but in this instance you may be better exporting the entire bank in which your personal patches are stored.

(I'm writing this from memory, but it should make sense when you try it. Post again if anything needs clarifying.)

Load any one of the patches in the bank or subbank you want to export. Then click on the export tab at the top of the screen. Choose either bank or subbank. (Or you can just back up the single patch you've selected, if you ever want to do that.)

Specify where on your hard drive you want to make your backup (I'll deal with moving it to the other computer in a moment), and give the exported file the same name as on the MMV - for example if you're doing a whole bank called, say, `mine,' call the exported file `mine' as well. If you're copying a subbabk such as `leads or `basses' give the backup that name.

A folder like C:\arturia\MMV s the kind of thing you need to set up to export to.

The software remembers where you've specified your backups will be exported to, so you'll only have to specify the filename in future.

To import to your new computer: you're probably better putting it elsewhere on the hard drive first for your future backps. I think when you import you have to have your original installation disk in the CD drive, anyway, so if that's the case you can't import directly off a CDRW.

Click import on the new computer's MMV, and you'll be prompted to tell it where your files are located. When you do that, the import process is so simple that you may not realise it's happened. The first time I did this, I created duplicate subbanks because I didn't realise the job was done with a single click. :D  So click, then check your patch menu to see if it's worked.

So if you do all that, you'll be able to transfer your patches and also set up a location on your hard drive for future backups. What I do is to back up new patches by exporting them to my hard drive backup folder, then when I back up my whole system onto CDRs I back up the hard drive backup folder. With literally hundreds of MMV patches I've written it makes sense to safeguard things like this.

It's actually much simpler than it probably sounds when described, and I've not written these instructions step by step with the MMV in front of me, but I think this should do the job for you. Please post to confirm it worked - or to say what went wrong if it didn't. :D

Gary Schank

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 04:01:23 am »
Thanks for the great advice.  The manual is quite good, but it does not elaborate on this topic, as you have.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines