March 28, 2024, 06:24:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: 'CLICKING' or 'POPPING' Problems.......?  (Read 4894 times)

elastic

• Apprentice
'CLICKING' or 'POPPING' Problems.......?
« on: March 11, 2008, 10:07:54 am »
Hi, i have been using the miniMg v for about 8 months now, up to a few months ago it was all fine, but recently i have noticed that sometimes when i press a key on my usb keyboard my speakers 'pop' VERY harshly! If i then try to press another key or play the track im working on the speakers keep 'popping'.

I am using logic pro 8 and mac osx 10.5.2.

It is that bad that i really don't want to use my miniMg v anymore in fear of blowing my speakers or severely damaging them. And when it pops it really pops loudly.

Any ideas on why this happens or any solutions?

I think it's a great product but i just don't have the confidence in using it anymore
It's all about the music

Turbo_ginger

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: 'CLICKING' or 'POPPING' Problems.......?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 04:35:05 am »
I believe this is what started happening to me lately. It has happened to me 3 times now recently. The popping/ cracking sound comes on full blast from my headphones. It's actually quite scary. Last time it happened i had ringing in my ears for around 2 hours.
I have no idea why this is happening either.

Sweep

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 03:03:46 pm »
That's usually a problem with the soundcard. If it used to be ok I wonder if the sample rate settings have changed at some point. I don't use Logic so I don't know if the settings might have been changed when you installed something else and that's affecting the MiniV as well? Or your computer might be using more resources than before and have less memory and CPU power available?

Those are just initial suggestions. Someone with experience of your setup may have something more definite, but if not then maybe this will suggest things to look at.

Turbo_ginger

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 05:24:49 am »
An issue with the sound card seems logical... The sound is somewhat similar to when you go past 100% cpu usage, except for that it persists until MiniMg V is closed. I'm using Ableton Live, by the way. I just checked, and my settings are the same as they've always been. Maybe it's just a rare crashing bug in mmv version 1.6.
Hopefully i dont experience this in V2 when it comes out shortly.

airspeed

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 05:20:18 am »
I'm getting lots of CPU spikes that are causing way too many clicks & pops on certain patches running V2.0. Some of the new V2.0 patches get my Intel dual core E6400 (with 2gb RAM) spiking between 80-100%. None of my other VST instruments or effects go over 6-20% when running. I've even tried changing the ASIO buffer size on my M-audio 192 but this doesn't seem to help at all. Also when the MiniMgV effects interface is open I get tons of clicks & pops compared to when it's closed. I hope we get an update soon, there is no way I can use V2.0 reliably without feeling like I'm walking on eggshells trying to get a stable patch.  : (

Rob Roff

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 04:00:21 pm »
I'm seeing suspiciously high cpu with some patches as well. Sometimes I just can't see what could be causing it. 1.6 rarely went above 10% on my machine. In V2, there is an arppaggio patch that uses 60%! Sometimes it's hard to narrow down what's causing the cpu strain. There was one simple patch I had that used 10% with the matrix off, but when I turned the matrix on, it used almost 20% even though nothing was being modulated in the matrix. I feel like maybe something strange is going as far as cpu load. Normally however the mod matrix doesn't add any cpu just by turning it on, that seemed like a special case and now I can't remember what patch it was.

The main cpu strain seems to come from the unison or soft clipping. Keeping the voice count at 3 or less is pretty essential when using unison and it's best to just keep soft clipping off. But even so it seems like sometimes the matrix being on or the cabinet being open can add cpu.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 12:17:24 am by Rob Roff »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines