April 18, 2024, 03:56:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How can I control all these knobs?! (or: frankenstein box)  (Read 4722 times)

RevAaron

How can I control all these knobs?! (or: frankenstein box)
« on: December 16, 2003, 02:07:11 am »
Ahoy-

Is there any way to control all the knobs and sliders in this beautiful application without resorting to the mouse?

I recently had to sell my Juno-60 to make rent, along with the rest of my small collection of music equipment over the last couple months. Dirt ass poor college kid and such, though I owned the Juno-60 since I was only 16.  This software really is out of this world, dare I say better than my Juno-60, at least in versitility.

But the physicality isn't there. Sure, I can't get a real knobs-n-sliders set up [1], but there has to be something better than using the mouse.  I'm new to this app, so perhaps I'm suffering a bout of having not RTFM'd. At least keyboard control would be nice, though having a physical setup would be far, far better.  I wonder if I could employ one of thse plug-in APIs and write some custom software that took commands from a bit serial or USB box I built myself... Or is there some other way to achieve a similar end without the hackage?

[1] how great would a replica board/midi-controller rig that just passed it all to the mac/PC running CS-80V via USB and MIDI. drool.

Regards,
Aaron

mmetlay

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.recordingmag.com
Knob control is easy
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 11:53:14 pm »
Quote from: "RevAaron"
Ahoy-

Is there any way to control all the knobs and sliders in this beautiful application without resorting to the mouse?

I recently had to sell my Juno-60 to make rent, along with the rest of my small collection of music equipment over the last couple months. Dirt ass poor college kid and such, though I owned the Juno-60 since I was only 16.  This software really is out of this world, dare I say better than my Juno-60, at least in versitility.

But the physicality isn't there. Sure, I can't get a real knobs-n-sliders set up [1], but there has to be something better than using the mouse.  I'm new to this app, so perhaps I'm suffering a bout of having not RTFM'd. At least keyboard control would be nice, though having a physical setup would be far, far better.  I wonder if I could employ one of thse plug-in APIs and write some custom software that took commands from a bit serial or USB box I built myself... Or is there some other way to achieve a similar end without the hackage?

[1] how great would a replica board/midi-controller rig that just passed it all to the mac/PC running CS-80V via USB and MIDI. drool.

Regards,
Aaron

Aaron:

If all you want to do is control parameters of the CS-80V from a hardware device rather than via the mouse, then you are indeed suffering from a severe case of non-RTFM! The kind of control you want is built right into the software, no hacking required. You'll just have to throw money at the problem in the form of purchasing an appropriate hardware controller.

One of the better things about this software is that all, or almost all, of the parameters can be easily mapped to MIDI Control Change values. All you have to do is hook up an appropriate controller, choose what parameter you want to map and bring up the Learn box, turn the appropriate knob, and that parameter's mapped to that knob. Do it for all relevant realtime controls and bang, you're done.

As there are well over 100 parameters controllable at a time, you'll either need a very large controller (I think two Doepfer Drehbanks would do it, that's 128 knobs), or some serious multiple pages of presets on a controller with fewer knobs, or you'll have to be selective about what parameters are controlled.

There are any number of USB MIDI keyboards out there with anywhere from 8 to over 50 assignable controls of various sorts. Pick one that feels nice to you, assign it as appropriate, and have fun. There isn't anything out there that mimics the CS-80's layout, so you'll have to pick what feels best to you and go from there.

If you want to use poly aftertouch, you'll need to get a USB MIDI device that also acts as a MIDI interface, so you can hook up an external poly aftertouch keyboard to the MIDI ports. See the threads on that topic elsewhere on this forum for a list of suitable models.

Hope this helps,

mike
Mike Metlay
Associate Editor, RECORDING MAGAZINE
mike@recordingmag.com

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 02:44:17 am »
ahhh, cool! Awesome.  Another silly question- do you know of any really cheap controllers like this?   Believe me, I'm drooling over it now- but at $400 for a Drehbank (http://www.doepfer.de/db.htm) it's a lot of money. Between two of those, a dedicated MIDI controller (had to sell that for rent too :/ ) and the software, I'm at the cost of a real CS-80. Alas.  Such is life, I suppose.

...but if you do know of a board like this that is more affordable? Nothing fancy.  

Regards,
Aaron

RevAaron

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 04:12:03 am »
would http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2576560490&category=23785&sspagename=rvi:1:1 this work out fine?  fewer knobs than a drehbank, but a lot cheaper; I could get a couple of these perhaps?

again, very sorry about the ignorance, if there is some good guide for ignoramouses like myself I could see that and leave you alone... :) But again, thanks much!

asheraa

Evolution u-33
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 05:57:25 am »
I use the evolution and works great, they even supply with a blank overlay made of plastic, so you can type names below sliders / knobs custom for any instrument. I am in the process of doing mine for the most used controls of the CS-80V

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines