April 20, 2024, 05:25:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How do I get the USER bank back?  (Read 5178 times)

BetaMark

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
How do I get the USER bank back?
« on: November 29, 2008, 06:06:57 am »
All,

Sorry for the cross-posting, but I'm just getting the hang of these forums.

I have apparently overwritten the USER bank, and want to know how to get it back. For that matter, how do I properly save original patches I've created without again losing the USER bank and its associated Blank_Syn slots, etc. When I first tried to save a patch, I just changed the existing name in the Preset field to my own patch name and clicked Save. I suspect this was not the correct approach. Should I have clicked Save As instead? I'm finding the Save navigation somewhat confusing... any help would be appreciated.

Sweep

Re: How do I get the USER bank back?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 01:06:49 pm »
Yes, you need to use `save as.'

Some comments about saving, and then I'll come back to getting the user bank back -

This is how I described saving new patches on the MiniMg V board recently. It's basically the same with the MMV:

Click on the `save as' tab. A drop down menu appears. Click on the bank (and subbank if necessary) that you want to save to, or click on new bank if the location to save to doesn't yet exist.

When you're at the right location to store your new patch, go to the bottom of the drop down menu and click `new preset.'

Go up to the preset name window, which will now probably be showing the word `default.'  Click on it, and it'll go blank. Type in the name you want the patch to have, and then click the `save' tab next to the `save as' one.

It may sound lengthy when explained like that, but once you've done it a couple of times it seems like second nature.

When it comes to backing up, you can back up individual patches, sub-banks, or your entire bank structure. If you think file, folder or folder with sub-folders, that should make sense of what's involved, though each of those becomes a single file when saved.

I've found the best way for me is to save each sub-bank. That isn't as fiddly as saving and restoring every individual patch, file by file, but it gives more flexibility if you want to restore your patches (when moving to a new computer, for example.)  You can do both if you want to - save the lot in one big file for a complete restore, but also individual sub-banks for flexibility.

Use the Export tab to save, and choose a location on your hard drive. You can then back up that location on CDRWs or whatever so you don't lose your stuff if your computer crashes.

If you'd done that previously with your User bank you could just use the Import tab to restore it. The only other options I can think of now are to se if the User bank can be downloaded from Arturia's site, and if it can't, to reinstall the MMV from the original disk. But maybe wait and see if anyone else has any better ideas?

Post again if you need any more detailed help with any of this. I've been doing this for a couple of years now and it's fairly familiar. Moving to a new PC and copying across literally hundreds of my own patches was very easy and straightforward. Once you get the hang of it, which doesn't take very liong, it's very useable.

BetaMark

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 05:47:44 am »
Sweep and Antoine

Thanks for helping me get back on my feet with this product. The uninstall/reinstall instructions Antoine emailed me did the trick.

The only minor disappointment after going through this process is that I was previously able to vertically navigate the modules by using my mouse's scroll wheel, but now I must click and drag to do this.

HerrFrey

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I have a huge problem with preset or patch management in MMV:

Probably for the third or fourth time, I have this damn, anoying Patch-Confusion in MMV! It's  allways happening when MMV is crashing while saving a patch. After this the whole banks are ALLWAYS messed up: after the crash some patches are named with other patch-names, for example a patch is named "bass" but the sound is corresponding now to a string-sound or a bell from another bank.
But not just single Sound patches are messed up. Even sub-bank-names and bank-names are disordered. The patch library is  totaly "confused". It makes me sad, mad, whatever...!  >:( :P ??? :o :'(

I tried so much. I deinstalled MMV and reinstalled it, tried the "repair-option" a few times, but the old preset structure is not coming back. I deleted manually (in the Programm-Data-Folder / Win7) the Arturia-Folder with the damaged presets. But after reinstalling nothing happens. Same messed up preset damage - no change. It makes me really angry!
Like I said, I had this problem a few times before. In the past, it helped to reinstall MMV but now it doesnt help, no change!

Very confusing too: my personal bank is doubled or shown even more times in the preset library list, when MMV is running. I delete this banks, but after restarting MMV they are there again!
I recognized: with every start of MMV the loading bar appeas ("merging down presets") and in the "save"-folder of Mg Modular the patch folders are doubled.
For example my original bank is named original_bank0 but appears now also as original_bank00, original_bank01, original_bank02... and so on with the same subbanks.
I overwrote by accident the original patch "CE_BassCelm4", but I can't delete my version. After a new installation, the C.Enegl Bank appears wrong again, in the way I saved it. The other subbankls banks of C.Engel are not listet like before the crash, too.

The other FACTORY-Preset Banks are not listet, allthough they are in the "save"-Folder in the Arturia-Folder (in appData-Folder.) 

PLEASE ARTURIA, rework it, patch it. Do something, to improve this.  MMV sounds wonderful, but the preset-managment is not just circumstancial in MMV, it's also quite buggy too!

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 03:21:16 pm by HerrFrey »

Phil999

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:40:51 am »
it can be a bit confusing, but it is like Sweep already explained. You can write single patches, sub-banks or banks to file, which gives you a good possibility to manage your patches. What we don't have is an option to delete a bank, sub-bank or single patch. So if you find yourself with lots of duplicates of your own bank (like it happened to me as well many times), you can do the following:

Go to C/program data/arturia/mmv/save. There are a couple of numbered folders. Each folder is a bank, and in each of them there is a file called NomPreset. This is the name of the bank. With this manual method you can find and erase undesired banks. If there is a simpler method to delete banks, I'd love to know.

But like Sweep said, after some time this preset management becomes second nature, and it is no more necessary to manually delete folders. But I installed MMV many times, and I struggled often with its presets. Took me a while to get used to it.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines