March 28, 2024, 11:10:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Question about modular like capabilities of Origin  (Read 4041 times)

LeRoi

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Question about modular like capabilities of Origin
« on: May 30, 2009, 07:41:28 pm »
I'm really pumped about the modular type capabilities of the Origin. I do have a question though. I mentioned in a previous post that I would be selling off my Mg goodies to purchase the Origin. This is for several reasons, mainly for space...but also for money to fix some other stuff.

My question is, how easy is it to change patching on the fly in real time? For example, I like to run a sequence from a computer or drum machine into my Mg stuff. I'll have a handful of cables and just start LITERALLY plugging away at miscellaneous CVs.

I understand that it may not be quite as immediate to do this on a virtual analog synth without tangible patch points, but is functionality like this possible?

Thanks.

Sean W

• Beta-testers
  • Arturia US
Re: Question about modular like capabilities of Origin
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 07:54:05 am »
It is very easy to patch modulations: just open the module you want to modulate, select a modulation source and adjust the modulation amount (you can patch multiple sources into the same modulation input, each source with its own amount, without the need for a summing module).
For instance to modulate a filter frequency with an LFO, open the Filter module, cursor to the Frequency Modulation input, push the big data knob, select LFO1 from the list of modulation sources, cursor one click to the modulation amount right next to it, adjust it. Et voila!

However, it's a little more involved if you want to insert a CV modulator in between, in order to modulate the modulation amount. In the example above, you would add a CV Modulator module, patch the LFO to the input of the CV modulator, patch the output of the CV Modulator to the Frequency Modulation input of the Filter, and then select the modulation source for the CV modulator.
It's not complicated when you already know how to use a modular synth. You only have to get used to the nagivation on the display.

LeRoi

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 03:48:29 pm »
Cool, so would this work in realtime in a live setting?

Philippe

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 07:32:17 am »
The software has been designed to allow "live" connections/disconnections. By "live" here I mean while notes are playing. It was made to allow sound designers to experiment and get a result immediately.
Origin Lead  Developer

LeRoi

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 03:43:42 pm »
Excellent. Thanks! :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines