March 29, 2024, 01:05:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Midi feature request about pitch bend/ribbon  (Read 2916 times)

el-folie

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Midi feature request about pitch bend/ribbon
« on: July 23, 2009, 12:47:07 pm »
Dear developers,

please consider the following: In order to use pitch bend data messages the way in which the CS80V ribbon reacts to mouseclicks we need a "relative pitch bend mode". One way to implement it would be to make the CS80V wait for a note on message and then take that incoming midi note as the reference zero for the incoming pitch bend messages. That way one could turn the pitch wheel (or any other controller programmed to send pitch bend data) up and down without effect on pitch BEFORE any note is being played, and then use the pitch bend wheel or midi controller to bend notes like on the CS80V ribbon. Also, and this why Iīm requesting that feature, this "relative PB midi mode" would allow the use of any midi controller or resistive ribbon to bend pitches in the CS80 ribbon way.

It could be implemented as a feature by right click on the ribbon to choose from something like "relative pitch bend mode" or "pitch bend wheel mode".

What do you think about it?

Kind regards,

el-folie

slammah2012

Re: Midi feature request about pitch bend/ribbon
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 05:47:11 am »
There is a switch for ribbon mode..
inside , there is a CS80 type scaling, and a user type......

Pitch bend is not a CC#....in the land of midi....

You seem to want something a CS80 doesnt do....
A Yamaha CS80 does not wait for note on......
reason for this are 2 Sustain types I ( modulation of pitch only affects note held down)  and II (modulation affects all notes held and releasing )
If you bend a ribbon down before you start a note, the note will start low until you return the ribbon to your starting point.....
This is a key of the 80's architecture...
A CS80 will never pitch up more than an octave no mater where you start on the ribbon....however
To exceed such a bend, you have to pitch down first (with the ribbon still held) then play your note on...then you can pitch back up to your initial point and then up to an octave higher....A CS80 will bend down to fractions of a hertz...good for motor engine sounds...

you will get the  same on a pitch wheel with a spring that a real ribbon gives you.....except trills and a wheel isnt as precise as a ribbon

I want the 80v to be more like a CS80.....thats where we butt heads....

el-folie

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Midi feature request about pitch bend/ribbon
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 01:45:31 pm »
Hi slammah,

thanks for your explanations, they are very welcome! Regarding the RM volume drop I removed the topic because you say itīd be right like it is. Unfortunately I didnīt save the information on how exactly the RM works to my desktop...so if you would like to rewrite the information on RM behaviour as an extra topic itīd be very very kind. Max wrote the RM actually would introduce a volume gain - I thought he was right - thatīs all...

About the ribbon I donīt think we butt heads at all. Itīs just that Iīm asking for another mode >>to choose from<< so that a relative zero would be possible in midi domain. I would like to touch the ribbon anywhere without the pitch being affected >>before I move<< my finger and bend the note - am I mistaken that this is how the CS80 ribbon works?!? By implementing that feature one could use a standard 50$/€ ribbon instead of an expensive one that would have to cover the relative zero in hardware. Thatīs all that went through my head so I thought about how it would be possible to implement that behaviour in midi world - as a different choice from the other modes.

Apart from that Iīm really pleased that someone with the actual original instrument is here on the forum. I just canīt tell you how much I would like to play that monster for real... If money wasnīt an issue Iīd go straight to RL music in London and get one of those beasts and I can tell you I wouldnīt care about spending the money (15K UKP) if I just had it - but I donīt like the most of us wonīt...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:50:29 pm by el-folie »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines