April 24, 2014, 03:10:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email
News: Arturia's webmaster is glad to offer you these brand new forums ! Have fun using it and feel free to email any encountered problem at webmaster@arturia.com.

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Transfer license to soft-elicenser from Dongle?  (Read 3514 times)

Rob Roff

Transfer license to soft-elicenser from Dongle?
« on: November 06, 2009, 02:03:46 am »
Is this possible with the beta? Since there is no new activation code, I can't figure out to get V2 license off the dongle.

Rob Roff

Re: Transfer license to soft-elicenser from Dongle?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 05:54:25 pm »
Hello? Anyone from Arturia checking these beta test forums?

I can't seem to drag my prophet V license from the dongle to my computer, yet it states that the Prophet V2 can use the soft e-licenser. How do we transfer it?

Thanks

Antoine

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 09:43:27 am »
The Prophet-V2 will ship with Soft-eLicenser system by default.
However, this is for newcomers only, i.e. Prophet-V 2.0 buyers. The 1.x owners already have their license stored on the USB-eLicenser, and this kind of license is not backward compatible with Soft-eLicenser, so they will have to stick with the hardware dongle.
Sounds like it will be the case for the Jupiter-8V 2.0 as well.
This should not be a real issue for users, as the USB-eLicenser is at some point always useful (i.e. to run the synth on another machine, or quickly restore your synth after a disk crash, etc.).
ex-Arturian

fragmentated

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 05:59:09 pm »
Are you kidding? I hate the dongle and the only reason I was keeping my Prophet and Jupiter licenses was in the hopes of the 2.0 updates so I could authorize to the hard disc.

Will there not be an option for all of the version 1 owners to update their license to be able to authorize to the hard disc?

Antoine

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 06:08:28 pm »
I am not kidding. But the second part of your message raises a question we (of course) already considered, but no firm decision has been taken yet.

I really hope you keep your Prophet-V and Jupiter-8V for other reasons that the protection system itself. They have intrinsic qualities that the protection system should not make forget, after all.

ex-Arturian

fragmentated

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 06:35:14 pm »
It's not syncrosoft I have a problem with. It's having to carry around a usb key all the time and remembering to have it plugged in as to not make my programs crash.

The Korg and Arturia plugs are the only ones I have that use a dongle. Now that Korg has dropped it in favor of C/R, these Arturia plugs are the only ones keeping me tied to the hardware dongle.

Sadly though if we early adopters are not given the same options as new buyers as far as authorization goes I probably will let them go. It will be a bit sad as I love these plugins a lot but it is not worth the hassle of carrying around the usb key any longer. There are too many other great options out there that do not require hardware copy protection.

I sincerely hope you consider giving all V1 owners the option to upgrade our licenses.

Rob Roff

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 02:03:26 am »
Wow. I am shocked once again.

Not only is that absolutely terrible treatment of existing customers over a matter that should be technical triviality, I was actually misled before buying the V collection. Before I bought it, I asked Arturia support whether other products would follow the Analog Factory in being able to use the soft e-licenser. I was told that yes, updates would allow the prophet and Jupiter to no longer require a dongle. What they did not mention was that that was for new customers only. Wow, what a slap in the face!

Are Arturia really willing to ignore all those people who have been waiting to ditch the dongle, over just a simple matter? What could possibly be the technical restriction? How is there even a moment's consideration here? How could it involve more than simply issuing a new license number to the existing prophet V owners to allow it to be used with the new e-licenser? I purchased this package and have not used the prophet or Jupiter because I won't carry a dongle around and use up a usb port to run a plug-in. I've been patiently waiting about 6 months, all this time for the new versions of the prophet and Jupiter (which I was told would be out in the summer and would no longer need a dongle!) and now it's not even going to happen?

I am truly in disbelief. I suppose I will be selling this Arturia bundle now. Although I love how these plug-ins sound, I have never come across a software company so uncaring of customer satisfaction since Native instruments around 4 or 5 years ago (They got better though, since they learned that reputation does actually mean something). Maybe it's time Arturia took a look around at other companies and raised their game a little. Or shall I wait around another 5 years in hopes that all controls in Arturia's V3 plug-ins become exposed to the host finally, like all other plug-ins?...

uggh, just too much frustration. Sticking existing customers with a dongle is just the last straw.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 02:05:13 am by Rob Roff »

Antoine

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 11:12:41 am »
Rob, what we want is to release first-class instruments for the musician, being amateur or professional, and incidentally we don't want the protection system to be an hassle for you.

The fact is that operating any* Arturia synthesizer you always need a dongle, being virtual (Soft-eLicenser) or hardware (USB-eLicenser). Some users cannot stand hardware dongles, others find them much useful and secure (not related to computer OS health).
*will be factually exact once the ARP2600V is converted too.

"The" user does not exist, I mean it is not an homogeneous body at all. The only thing we can do is trying to solve a complicated equation which encloses (in no particular order): efficient anti-copy protection, technical feasibility, economical constraints, user's comfort, durability, combined Technical Support, etc.
If you have a magic solution to this tricky problem, please PM me. No editor has found the perfect solution till date, some are more user-oriented (and less or even no real protection), others are rather protective (and less or even no flexibility). We feel having reached an acceptable compromise with eLicenser.

Now, I don't really want this thread to go in flame war about protection systems (there are already KVR forums playground for this), all the more so we are in the Prophet-V Beta Test section, but for your immediate questioning:

_ If you want to use the synths on only one machine, just let the USB-eLicenser inserted and just forget about it.

_ If you want to use the synths on several machines, you definitely need the USB-eLicenser anyway.

So, we hardly see where the problem resides exactly, from a usability point-of-view.
If this is such a problem for you, please contact us through the Technical Support way, and we will try to find a technical solution.

Other topic: for the VST parameters exposition, each synthesizer update shows more but not *all*, strictly for technical reasons: choices done years ago can be hazardous (in terms of stability) to workaround today, and need deep rework.
But this is a point that is considered, yes.

ex-Arturian

Rob Roff

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 09:16:30 pm »
Antoine, I'm sorry I came off so harshly, but the merits of dongles or other copy protection techniques are not the focus of my concern. I would never tell anyone the dangle protection is better or worse than otherwise. That is a personal preference and nothing else. I personally will not use dongles because I use a laptop that I move around quite a bit with. It is the only machine I use my plug-ins on. I never said that dongles weren't a good solution for some people and indeed the syncrosoft copy protection that allows the user a choice between dongle or computer based is a great solution, as was the point of my post - The tragedy being that the new updates of prophet V (and likely Jupiter?) will not allow this choice as the others do, except for new users apparently. I don't know how you guys can do this to existing users. And I also don't understand how you can say to me with a straight face that you do not see where my problem resides. You're solution is for me to keep a dongle plugged in at all times to my laptop?

You guys said the updates would give the choice. That's why I kept it. Waiting for that. I've also told lots of other people who won't use dongles "Don't worry, the Prophet V and Jupiter-8V are great, and the next updates will no longer require the dongle!" Now I feel like a fool.

Sorry man, I know you try to be helpful, but there is something wrong here. It could be partly a language barrier as well, but for you guys to say the new updates won't require a dongle and then only allow new customers the choice, and then when I have a problem with that, to tell me that there should be no problem, I should be happy with the dongle, well... that just ain't right. ah whatever, I don't think this is worth it. Good luck with the updates.

Gothboy

• Dymaxion Vehicle
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 01:45:29 am »
Hummm. Wow.(shakes head) :-\ :( I head Korg was going completely off ANY dongle protection with the Legacy series and now going with a reg.codes.  Food for thought.  I now have 2 dongles and it's not that bad.
Apple Mac Pro 2.66 GHz. Intel Xeon Quad core 9GB RAM
Snow Leopard 10.6.8/Pro Tools 8.0.5 Digi 002R Ableton Live 9
M-Audio Radium 61/Novation Remote Zero SL/AlphaTrack controllers
Automap 3.7.4
V collection, SparkLE 1.7.1

Cc

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 02:25:01 pm »
I truly hope Arturia comes around and changes their minds about the Jupiter and Prophet updates - and allows them to be soft-dongled as well.

I've been working full-time - even overtime - the past 4 days trying the darn hardware dongle to work, following every single advice, in every single post - not least Antonio's suggestions - and the stupid thing just keeps losing connection.

I've tried it on both my Mac Book and my old Power Book - same result. There's definitely something rotten in the state of Dongle (the hardware one, that is).

Today I transferred all my synths from the V-collection to the soft dongle - and it seems to work. However, I cannot use my Jupiter 8 and Prophet.

For a minute or two, I thought: heck, I'll just bite the bullet and wait for the upgrades, and transfer them as well. But apparently that is not meant to happen. And now I'm truly lost, bewildered, sad - and not least rather upset and annoyed.

Sad state of affairs - and I'm having a hard time seeing myself recommending anyone getting an Arturia product protected by a hardware dongle.

Please reconsider.

Thanks.

/Ivan

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines