April 17, 2014, 10:27:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email
News: Arturia's webmaster is glad to offer you these brand new forums ! Have fun using it and feel free to email any encountered problem at webmaster@arturia.com.

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Umm the sound?  (Read 1879 times)

sinelanguage

Umm the sound?
« on: November 24, 2009, 10:04:55 pm »
Hi all:

Quick question, has the SOUND been improved at all?  With all the latest updates I've read "higher quality VCF" etc...  I have heard demos of all Arturia prods, the PV is the only one I own, and having owned a real P5 and Pro One, I was very disappointed in that really shitty resonant digital distortion when sweeping the filter to the lower freqs.  You know that shitty sound you get with cheap softsynths made in a synth one.  and and most of all, the piss poor attacks on the envelopes and transients.  It sounds NOTHING like the original.  The prophet 5 is snappy as hell, great for cross mod modular sounding drums to make samples of.  This emulation doesn't come close.  The oscillators are not bad, but the real ones are WAY fatter.  The stepping in the cross mod isn't too pleasing either.  Its like a soft synth that wishes it were a Prophet 5 wearing a Prophet 5 costume.  I have to tell you.  This TOTAL ANALOG EMULATION Arturia shoves down our throats is more like, SEMI ANALOG SONIC REPRODUCTION.  I admit they are better than a lot of other soft synths, but for the marketing claims you make, you really have to know that its an insult to purists to make claims that you have totally modelled the synth, because if the result is, a filter that isn't especially with that terrible digital resonant distorition in the lower freqs, and attack times are not not absolute 0ms.  (I know its possible because D16 Sonic Charge makes soft drum synths that snap like crazy, and URS's Zebra is also very snappy).  Then its not a Total Analog Emulation.  Or its a Total Analog Emulation with a less than exact output model.  Sorry for the rant, I just had my hopes up high.  Great marketing :)
So back to my original question, WHat has been done to the sound at all?

THEHOPEDEALER

• Apprentice
Re: Umm the sound?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 02:17:20 am »
 :D  Guy .....if you are using ANY SOFTWARE PRODUCT OR SOFT-SYNTH EXPECTING TOTAL "SNAP" AS YOU CALL IT, STOCK OUT OF THE INSTALL- YOU OBVIOUSLY KNOW LITTLE ABOUT DIGITAL STUDIO PRODUCTION.   Use your DAW , or studio gear, effects, Ableton, Logic, or whatever your base unit is  if you own one to draw the envelopes as you ORIGINALLY desired.VIA MIDI CONTROL.....
 The sounds a re true-check your sound card settings - or your processes. Your ASIO obviously cannot share amongst a stand alone and Au- VSt, or whatever you use. Check your sound engine-yet don't judge others for your lack of production- you are attempting reproduction.....Why? get your gear, go further. Hell, make a waveform and take it to a formar you are cumfy with.  AND BY THE WAY, IF YOUR ORIGINAL P5 WAS SO BAD ASS-WHERE IS IT NOW??? THERE IS A REASON  PRODUCTION IS WHERE IT IS AT. WE ARE ALL GROWING. YOUR OTHER "SOFT-SYNTHS" ARE MULTI-PROCESSED ANALOG SAMPLES.    TAKE A FEW YOURSELF AND PLUG THE OSCILLATORS INTO SOMETHING SIMPLE AS EVEN CRYSTAL AND SEE IF YOUR PROBLEM STILL EXISTS.  THESE SAMPLES ARE MEANT TO BE CONSISTENT------NOT HOT TRANSISTOR ALGORHYTHMED.  you seem intelligent enough--now get on and help test-or go buy some other pre-fab synth sounds.   Get a tone generator

sinelanguage

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 07:56:01 pm »
My original P5 is in the studio, the Arturia version is to compose in other places where I can't lug the 100 pound 30 yr old synth.  And yes it is TOTAL badass.  And Arturia markets an engine called TOTAL ANALOGUE EMULATION.  if its truelly TOTAL, then the inconsistencies would be eliminated in updates and bug fixes etc...  For example, I think their Minimoog is dead on, except for the envelop transients.  I'm on a Mac so there is no ASIO settings to play with thank god.  Since when is a punchy bassline made punchy with hand drawn envelop modulations natively in a DAW?  A Prophet 5 is a Prophet 5.  If I can play a C minor chord on it and have the envelope really punch and snap, then why can't Arturia reproduce that in their emulation.  Thats all I'm after.  Phatter, equally oscilloscoped compaired oscillators, a reproduction of the envelope generators that snap and transient the same as the original, and a filter that doesn't digitally distort when filtering down to the lower amounts.  Is that too much to ask in a Total Analogue Emulation?  For example, on the Arturia PV, the attack knob at its lowest setting says 1.5ms.  Why can't it go down to zero?

THEHOPEDEALER

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:03:58 am »
U must remember that Never has a Prophet 5 Ever been responsibly played or mixed down professionally without post effects processing, compression, and yes---hand drawn, pre-made or whatever envelope you desire.  Expand the horizon to the possibilities of going away from stand-alone. you might be surprised..
    Also, if I still had access to a True original Prophet 5-----I lug the 100 pound bitch with rolling flight style gig case, just as I do all my gear from place to place. i'm just saying to check your software, cards, etc.    And hate to say Mac is no longer the upper eschelon in sound or processing. DAW in full form, or whatever can make the instrument go where 100lbs won't.  i mean i want to know where the missing oscillator options are, and other-that's why we are in Beta. i came on strong before. Just want you to really use your tools, and not just one, expecting your engine to give your P.A. finished product without processing.         

aaron aardvark

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 09:02:17 am »
This review says the Arturia has a faster attack than the original Prophet 5:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep06/articles/prophetv.htm

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines