March 28, 2024, 09:41:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Still needs a dongle!  (Read 3522 times)

Turbo_ginger

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Still needs a dongle!
« on: January 17, 2010, 07:29:27 am »
No activation code = Old 1.0 license locked to the dongle...
Is this update sticking with the USB dongle for existing owners? I was really excited to finally get rid of the thing and be able to start using Prophet V live  :(

gennargiu

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • My Site
Re: Still needs a dongle!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 11:23:26 am »
http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/index.php?topic=3397.0

hi

No activation code = Old 1.0 license locked to the dongle...
Is this update sticking with the USB dongle for existing owners? I was really excited to finally get rid of the thing and be able to start using Prophet V live  :(

Imac 24 alu - osx 10.6.7 Fw solo - Oxigene 61 - Logic Ex 9.1.4 - Live Ableton 8- Microkorg - Micron - Various Virtual Synths - Arturia Jupiter 8v2 - Arturia Prophet vs 2

Turbo_ginger

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:39:07 am »
I saw that, i suppose the answer to my question is "yes, upgrades from 1.0 still require a USB dongle at all times"
That's a shame... looks like a nice upgrade otherwise. Any chance we'll all get activation codes in the future?

TiUser

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 02:06:14 pm »
I don't think we'll see plain serial numbers again - Arturia is just about to switch all synths from serial codes to dongle.

I can live with the dongle -  it's still better than challenge response activation and not tied to a certain PC or online service - so going to another machine is less hassle.

Basically eLicenser allows to transfer the license to a machines HD too, then you also don't need the dongle any more - just not sure if Arturia supports this option with its licenses - anyway, I think a HD crash is more likely than a eLicenser malfunction and an eLicenser is also simpler to replace.

Finally dongles aren't the most convenient solution for users but it's the lesser evil to other remaining options. Arturia does wonderful software and if that's the way to make them survive I'll accept it.

Of course I would also like lower prices for individual synths - closer to the split of a collection package - i.e. less than 100€ each - but Arturia has to decide... My impression is that analog factory is a huge success and provides what many people like. The full versions for the tweakers are unfortunately more expensive...

...just some thoughts...  ;D

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 02:08:09 pm by TiUser »
Best regards, TiUser

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines