April 19, 2024, 10:25:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: ProVS oscillators  (Read 4411 times)

guyri

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
ProVS oscillators
« on: January 12, 2010, 08:46:36 am »
I've only just got round to playing with the prophet (been too busy with the Mgs and ARP). Am I right in thinking the original Pro5 had analog oscillators and the VS oscillators were digital? The VS sounds all seem rather harsh, which is a pity, as the rest of the synth is terrific fun.

poropat

Re: ProVS oscillators
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 10:02:29 am »
the prophet VS VCO were digital waves then, becoming analog to go inside the filter.
VCollection 8

Antoine

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 10:59:52 am »
Yes, they are harsh, but: "it's not a bug, it's a feature!"  ;)
Original VS oscillators were pretty much aliasing, coupled with analog filtering this is even its sound signature. Not usable on everything I must admit, but with a couple of programming you can generate ethereal flutes as well as abrasive Dn'B basses. And we love it for that also!
ex-Arturian

alain67

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 11:04:53 am »
not vco but digital wavetable oscillators on  the vs  (=resynthesized waveforms out of an original sample)  , the vs was more or less an american copy of the ppg concept but lacked the true grit of the original, also the vs concept was just mixing of 4 oscillator levels but there wasnt any interaction (modulation) between these

guyri

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 01:04:36 pm »
Ah - thank you - I thought I had a dim and distant memory - not that I ever got anywhere near a Prophet back in the day. So it's a sort of early S+S synth then? I like being able to use the hybrid to put the pro5 oscillators through the VS filters. I'll see if I can come up with some ethereal flutes.

avantronica

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 05:21:23 pm »
Think of the dual modes of this plugin as being akin to the Dave Smith evolver synth - it has the prophet 5 side and the prophet vs waves (digital) side - both are awesome - the digital waves on the VS / evolver sound stunning through real analog filters (the arturia synth sounds fantastic too)

On the harsh angle - this is an adjustable feature (brilliance) on the equally fantastic waldorf blofeld - it's the low sample length and bit resolution that makes the aforementioned and 'daddy of them all' ppg sound so wonderful - digital can be good (as can emulation be)

best s

guyri

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 12:43:50 pm »
Thanks - yes digital is fine. great in fact. I'd love to have a soft synth with all the filters and modulation options of the Emu Morpheus.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines