March 28, 2024, 01:27:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: PRESET SELECTION ISSUE  (Read 2738 times)

stephenphillips

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
PRESET SELECTION ISSUE
« on: April 05, 2010, 01:46:27 am »
Hi,

I've been making some suggestions on presets selection and possible alternate assignment of preset buttons in the main CS-80V forum area.  I am still searching for an answer about the remote control (via MIDI would be nice...) of the preset buttons.

Trawling through the Technical Issues section of the forum, I found many postings (mostly with no reply) dealing with aspects of this issue, and one in particular:

"I agree with the first post, the patch storage and loading system should be re-designed, sometimes it happens that an undesired patch is loaded with any control possible when selecting it from the menu. Another useful thing would be, for the CS-80V , to make possible the loading/save of a patch for each single "synthesis line", that would mean a closer come to the original way of storing patches and, most of all would make more flexible to run presets, you could then select patches in every way you want it to be. I happened to show this to Xavier some time ago and he seemed to agree to this way. Could my idea be an affordable improvement?"

that very closely approaches one of my suggestions.  At the very least, a means to remotely access patches should be available (surely? I am assuming the fault is mine on account of my inexperience).

Even a clear "no you cannot etc." would be some sort of help in clarifying the issue.  But I am very much hoping there is some solution here as it is very central to my intended use of the instrument.

Thanks,

Stephen.

bg

• Beta-testers
Re: PRESET SELECTION ISSUE
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 09:07:20 pm »
Hi Stephen,

I wrote up some notes a long time ago regarding changing presets via MIDI in CS-80V version 1.5.  As described below, changing presets involves sending a combination of MIDI Continuous Controllers and MIDI Patch Changes.  I don't know if this method is still valid for version 2, but here's what I wrote back then:

Program Change Via MIDI

CS-80V organizes presets by BANK, SUB-BANK, and PRESET. The following notes
explain how to select a preset via MIDI. I do not recommend this method, however,
because the MIDI program change path is relative to your current BANK/SUBBANK/
PRESET tree structure. Furthermore, this information is undocumented. Don't
hold Arturia responsible for unexpected results or system crashes.

CC0 [zero] adresses BANK. The value of CC0 determines which BANK, top to bottom
in the tree structure.
Examples based on my patch tree—yours may differ:
CC0 value 1 = C.Laurence
CC0 value 2 = C.Pittman
CC0 value 8 = M.Lupo

CC32 addresses SUB-BANK within the BANK called by CC0. The value of CC32
determines which SUB-BANK, top to bottom.
Example:
CC0 value 2 [C.Pittman], followed by CC32 value 4 = Keyboards

MIDI Program Change calls up the specific PRESET within the SUB-BANK, top to
bottom.
Example:
CC0 value 2 [C.Pittman], followed by CC32 value 4 [Keyboards], followed by Program
Change 6 = C.P_Tomita1

stephenphillips

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: PRESET SELECTION ISSUE
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 12:36:41 am »
Thanks very much for that.  Now I am wondering if I can send a kind of 'macro' MIDI message using one button to deliver this 'data stream' to the synth....

Also, my question/suggestion about the actual preset buttons on the GUI being made more versatile and MIDI-addressable remains unanswered.  But we are moving forward.

Cheers,

Stephen.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines