March 28, 2024, 10:21:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Origin wishlist  (Read 3998 times)

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Origin wishlist
« on: June 29, 2010, 04:31:49 pm »
Below is my Origin wishlist so far. I know some things may be a flight of fantasy, but some are quite relevant too. In particular getting the output assignments more fully implemented is something I consider important, and it ought to be not too hard to do. A few tweaks to the sequencer might be useful too. Of course the most important feature of all is "zero bugs"... If something is already in place without me having caught it, then that's jolly good :)

Anyway, here you have it:

* (Included in 1.3!) Alternative edit mode where cursor moves between parameters while the encoder retains its last edit/move state. Could be selectable in the configuration.

* Ability to move modules around in the rack view, like in the patch view. It would also be nice if new modules were added in the highlighted slot.

* Selectable aux output pair for each of the four Out modules => main, 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8. Enables quadraphonic and surround sounds, as well as more opportunities for external processing and mixing.

* Selectable outputs per part in the multi mixer - part, prog, 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 => "part" maps the part number to an output pair (like it is now), "prog" uses the program setting, and the rest is for free assignments.

* Sequencer autostart mode which does not start the sequencer when selecting a preset, but when pressing the start/stop button.

* Start stop button working for the sequencer in all parts in multi mode. Setting in each part for whether start/stop is global or individual for the part.

* Ability to set a different number of steps for each of the three sub sequences.

* Sequencer song mode. Just a simple list of sequence numbers and repeats.

* Sequencer MIDI output (skip this one if it proves tricky...).

* MIDI mode 4. Selectable in the program - mono, poly, mode4.

* Setting in multi mode to override the program mode - prog, mono, poly, mode4 => "prog" uses the program setting, the rest overrides the program setting.

* Ability to disable the joystick quickly, and why not a joystick mode where all three assignment becomes active. Could simply extend the assignment modes to 1, 2, 3, all, none.

* Joystick calibration.

* Program level modules:
   - transfer function, e.g. with bezier and linear segments
   - (Included in 1.3) sample & hold
   - phase distortion oscillator with selectable feedback functions
   - envelope follower, with level out and trig out with adjustable threshold/hysteresis
   - pitch detector
   - CV quantizer (could be part of CV Modulator module)
   - overdrive/distortion, compressor/limiter (Included as fx block in 1.3)

* Selectable free-running or restart-on-trigger for oscillators and LFOs.

* Phase modulation input on oscillators and LFOs - maybe just on the new phase distortion oscillator (see above)...

* Use the "Demo" button for something useful. Selectable in the configuration as "Demo" or "<useful function>". Useful functions could be "tap tempo", "show song page" (see above), "select edit mode" (see above) or...

* (Updated for v 1.3) A new manual - perhaps firmware 1.5 is a good opportunity for a manual update.

DJ
--
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 02:36:13 pm by DrJustice »

Cord

Re: Origin wishlist
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 02:50:32 pm »
My most important wish is to make the Midi remote controller list fully available and do not block CC numbers, please. It makes sense when you have the keyboard but it doesn't when you have the rack.

holografique

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 06:57:59 pm »
"* Selectable free-running or restart-on-trigger for oscillators and LFOs."

hmmm...am I to read this as saying that today you cannot have LFO's that are either free-running or restart-on-trigger? if so, I see that as pretty limiting. that's a pretty standard necessity for LFO's to create the specific type of modulation you are looking for.

I typically tend to use free-running since I use LFO's generally to add chaotic or non-linear modulation to my patches, but there are times where I'm wanting a specific effect, especially ones that are more linear and rhythmic based that restart-on-trigger is absolutely necessary.

-omar

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 07:59:01 pm »
So far it seems to me that the poly LFO's are connected to the note-on trigger, whereas the mono LFO's are free running. I can see the logic behind that, but it would still be nice to be able to choose.

DJ
--

tomeso

• Beta-testers
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 10:54:50 am »
Hi,

both LFO types (mono LFOs in program level and poly LFOs in voice level) can be set to free-run-mode or key-trigger-mode. The only difference is that the poly LFOs are connected to the key trigger by default and the mono LFOs are not.

Of course this can be set for each LFO indivdually, so that you can use several free running LFOs to create "chaos" and others to molulate in rhythm.   :-)

Cheers

Frank
"But please don't listen to me
I've already been poisoned by this industry!"
Funk Pop a Roll - XTC

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 02:26:04 pm »
Aha! Thanks Frank, you made me look more carefully, and there is indeed trigger / free running for all LFO's. It's by connection, not a switch parameter - how have I missed that... Very nice, another aspect of the depth of the Origin  :D

(First posting updated to reflect this)

DJ
--

tomeso

• Beta-testers
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 02:44:44 pm »
Yes, the LFOs are more flexible than they seem at first glance ...
how about connecting the step sequencer trigger to restart the LFO ...
or use noise waveform in LFO and trigger with step sequencer to get random values ...   ;)

Cheers
Frank
"But please don't listen to me
I've already been poisoned by this industry!"
Funk Pop a Roll - XTC

holografique

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 08:48:41 pm »
perfect. I think with that being said, I'll be making my purchase in about a week. looking forward to it.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines