March 28, 2024, 09:13:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: CS-80V CC Assignments  (Read 2139 times)

YESMAN

CS-80V CC Assignments
« on: August 23, 2010, 11:32:58 pm »
Hello All,
 This is an issue that has been dogging me since I first purchased the CS-80V VSTi. This is what I have been seeing and found.

This relates to running as a VSTi in Single Mode only. I am still in the middle of determining what is happening in Multi Mode and will post my findings when I have some usefull info. A fair amount of what I have found does cross between the two modes but, for now I will be dealing with Single Mode. Also this is on a PC with XP.

Thanks to Denis at Arturia for dropping me a post and re-igniting my interest in this.

I did a clean reinstall of the program (V2). and found I was still having a problem with a CC assignments being retained. I noticed some presets were responding correctly and others not, these were in the factory presets. What I found  was that when a program would not respond to the CC assignment it would also exhibit problems when viewing the GUI for the instrument (This is happening in Cubase 5.5 & Cantabile 2 - Which, by the way saves the curret state of the controlMidi file when either program is closed ), when I would open the instrument GUI the Synth I & II channel controls would be at a default condition. The control assigned to the CC would visually move but not alter the sound. If I then changed the preset, then returned to the previous preset the GUI would display the correct channel control positions but, no longer would the CC assigned control move or alter the sound. So I found a preset that responded correctly (C.Lawrence-Keyboards-C.L._piano1) and one that did  not (C.Pittman-Keyboards-C.P._Sakamoto1) and went into the save folder (C:\program files\arturia\cs-80V2\save) and printed out the Parametres files for each preset and compared them.

There are the expected differences in the sound parameters, but I noticed that the settings for the (NUM_PATCH_VOIEx) - The x being voices 1 through 8 - was different. It was set to 0 in the Parametres listing - which corresponds to 1 in the single patch window in the Multi section of the GUI - in the preset that is responding correctly, and set to 1 - which coresponds to 2 in the sinlge patch window of the multi section of the GUI - in the preset that was not responding. (If you open each of these presets and look at the single patch assignments in their respective multi window you will see that the _piano1 preset channels are set to 1 and the Sakamoto1 channels are set to 2).
 So I edited  the C.P.Sakamoto Parametres file and made the (NUM_PATCH_VOIEx) settings 0 (for each of the (8) channels). I also renamed the PATCH file that is in the same folder (which was named PATCH 2) to PATCH 1. The PATCH file contains the preset settings for the coresponding single patches in a multi. Which apparently also relates to a Single Mode preset. Also, when I opened the revised Sakamoto1 preset I found I needed to pop open the multi window then close it for all to be updated. Now the preset responds to the CC assignment and the GUI shows the correct control positions. I used the Sakamoto1 preset as the jumping off point for most of my own sounds, therefore my sounds were referencing the Patch 2 file and not responding to CC assignments. It appears that the CC assignments will only work if the preset is set-up referencing the single patch 1 settings in the multi window and it's coressponding patch 1 file in the save folder. I am not fully up to speed on the single patch window settings in the multi section (short version - it allows for setting up of individual sounds for each of the (8) channels in a multi preset) But, it makes a difference as to how the instrument GUI displays and responds to CC commands regardless if you are in single or multi mode. This is all as things occur on my system, I do not know if this is accross all platforms but, this is a step in the right direction for me, as now I can set my presets accordingly. Any additions or improvements to this post would be much appreciated.

As for multi mode obviously much from the above pertains but, there are still some points I want to be sure of, so....

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines