March 28, 2024, 03:41:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: 1.3 firmware sneak preview  (Read 23578 times)

holografique

Re: 1.3 firmware sneak preview
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2010, 04:54:35 am »
updated to v1.3.6.

SUCCESSES:

* update completed successfully

* presets restored

* no "crackle" issues with TAE (tested at full values on various user presets). I do notice that TAE at full values causes overall gain increase on a program causing it to clip badly, thus some users may just be reporting "clipping". I usually have to reduce the volume output level of a program/layer to adjust for TAE at high values.

ISSUES:

* Voice Detune in Unison mode still has no audible effect on detuning of the stacked voices being triggered. At least it's certainly no where near what true Roland Unison Detune sound likes at low or high values. My comparisons are with a Jupiter-6. I'm assuming that Voice Detune should become the equivalent of Unison Detune when you place a program in Unison mode. I guess this is not the case?

*"live knob" bug still exists. are you guys even planning on fixing this at all?  >:( ??? >:( ??? >:(

Will try to test some of other features requested tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 04:58:22 am by holografique »

moogy blues

• Acoustic Focus
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2010, 12:53:37 pm »
hmmmm

just tweaked the preset 'In the Mg' and when changing the aftertouch destination in the modulation matrix to VCF cut off the audio output went silent. (after effecting aftertouch on keyboard for a few secs)

When moving to another preset silence continued and then screen froze requiring reboot.

This was repeatable
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 12:55:46 pm by moogy blues »

Philippe

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2010, 03:56:56 pm »
just tweaked the preset 'In the Mg' and when changing the aftertouch destination in the modulation matrix to VCF cut off the audio output went silent. (after effecting aftertouch on keyboard for a few secs)

When moving to another preset silence continued and then screen froze requiring reboot.

Thanks for your report.

Could you elaborate on how you reproduce this crash? You're talking of the "Modulation Matrix" so I assume you were editing one of the miniMg preset loaded in slots 1, 2, and 3. Could you precise which one?
Could you give some more precisions, such as what were the connections you had made or suppressed before via the matrix. Did you do some modifications to the other slots when the crash happened?

The ideal would be to find a simple and repeatable scenario that leads tro this crash.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 04:30:26 pm by philwick »
Origin Lead  Developer

moogy blues

• Acoustic Focus
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2010, 09:34:15 pm »
Hi
Basically brought up 'in the Mg' preset.
Clicked on modulation matrix bar top left (no module selected in miniMg gui)
this bought up modulation v destination window with amount knob in middle
I originally changed the aftertouch destination but other changes make the origin crash)
if not repeatable your end it must be specific to my set up but the preset has not been altered before changing the mod matrix leading to the silent audio and then the crash

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 09:49:21 pm by moogy blues »

moogy blues

• Acoustic Focus
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2010, 10:23:25 pm »
When setting up a new preset using the jupiter template my system plays the audio but freezes the gui

Haven't checked to see if this has already been posted but though it worth mentioning

Philippe

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2010, 08:15:52 am »
Mgy blues, I'm able to reproduce the "In the Mg"crash on my dev machine. I'll fix this asap.
Origin Lead  Developer

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2010, 06:10:40 pm »

* no "crackle" issues with TAE (tested at full values on various user presets). I do notice that TAE at full values causes overall gain increase on a program causing it to clip badly, thus some users may just be reporting "clipping". I usually have to reduce the volume output level of a program/layer to adjust for TAE at high values.

Hi Holografique and others:

I'm littlebit puzzled about this "crackle" issue.

Could you try this:
Take (miniMg) program 0146 "Reso Whistle". Increase TAE to maximum. Then play fast repetition (other key down, other repeating) from quite low register. Use headphones and listen if you hear those small crackles. They are not very loud but at least in my system you can hear them. What is strange is that not all programs make these and some (one simple lead made by myself for example) make them with quite low TAE value.

Also I'd like to hear from Arturia team about it: Did you hear them with my preset or not? Are they acceptable or something which is clearly bug or what? I can of course decrease TAE but is it the only solution? Or is there something with my Origin unit?

Fafababa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2010, 07:17:37 pm »
Hi JacksonP!
Could you post a sound example of what you're hearing? I tried Reso Whistle but no crackle here.

To Arturia:
Thank you for your work on the Origin! The interface really gets better. Could you just make an Eminent or Solina module like you made a tonewheel one?

Philippe

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2010, 08:37:53 pm »
JacksonP

Also I'd like to hear from Arturia team about it: Did you hear them with my preset or not? Are they acceptable or something which is clearly bug or what? I can of course decrease TAE but is it the only solution? Or is there something with my Origin unit?

I listen to your preset and yes, I can hear small clicks from time to time when the note is attacked. Our priority for the moment is to fix the bugs that crash the machine, we'll have a look at this click problem asap.
Origin Lead  Developer

Jeruro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2010, 02:06:31 pm »

Hi Holografique and others:

I'm littlebit puzzled about this "crackle" issue.

Could you try this:
Take (miniMg) program 0146 "Reso Whistle". Increase TAE to maximum. Then play fast repetition (other key down, other repeating) from quite low register. Use headphones and listen if you hear those small crackles. They are not very loud but at least in my system you can hear them. What is strange is that not all programs make these and some (one simple lead made by myself for example) make them with quite low TAE value.

I can reproduce exactly the same bug in many programs, Jupiter template too...

Fafababa

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2010, 03:12:18 pm »
If you're all talking about the clicks we can hear when a new note is played with TAE on and legato on, I hear them even with TAE really low actually.

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2010, 05:29:38 pm »
Hi Fafababa and Jeruro,

Now I think we all know the crackles or clicks I've been talking about. They are not loud but I think they should not be there....

Let's see if Arturia team can find a way to fix that too....

holografique

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2010, 05:42:37 am »
If you're all talking about the clicks we can hear when a new note is played with TAE on and legato on, I hear them even with TAE really low actually.

I just tested and I can hear them now too. I tested as well building a basic patch with the Origin oscillator module and a sine wave. In mono mode (mono high), with a bit of portamento and TAE at high levels, you can hear it. But in this case you really have to be triggering in a very fast manner (almost simulating a rapid morse code) in order for it to really occur. Not only that, but it becomes even less audible when your patch starts getting more complex. The funny thing is that even some of the old analog synths had these "quirks". The original Jupiter-6 VCA envelope section was well known for sometimes having an unwanted "click" at the attack of a note trigger when playing sounds that had no mid to high freq content. It's common knowledge for Jupiter-6 users, and I know because my Jupiter-6 does it all the time. I don't believe this was a known "quirk" with the Jupiter-8, as my understanding is it did not use the same chips for it's VCA section.

So, are we really seeing a bug? or just TAE doing it's job properly ;)

In seriousness, I think it's a good idea to remove it if possible, as many of the older modulars and the MiniMg did not have this "quirk". So in order to remain thruthful to the product marketing having some of the best emulations available, it makes sense to resolve it (or make it an option!). but for me personally it's not a big deal. I rarely use the Origin for very basic sine wave type tones. Their plugs (as well as others) do a great job for that sort of stuff.

-omar

Philippe

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2010, 12:20:38 pm »
Hello All,

A new Origin firmware version RC1_1.3.11 is available for download here:

http://www.arturia.net/filesharing/www/?action=d&id=27769056491249464747058479959

no password needed

The "Origin Connection" which is included in the package has not changed since the RC1_1.3.6. But if you're not sure of which Origin Connection version is installed just re-iinstall it using the installer provided with the RC1_1.3.11 package. It's very fast and doesn't hurt.

Occasionally, you may get alert box from "Origin Connection" telling you some cryptic message such as "there has been a problem on U2034". This is very rare and means that the Origin and "Origin Connection" are no more in sync. Then you simply need to restart the update and everything should be OK.

We've made important fixes that should avoid the crashes reported by some of you when using the preset 1085. Of course the bug was easy to reproduce using this preset but the crash could have occurred with any other preset. Also the duophonic mode is now working again and available on desktop Origin and keyboard as well.

Have fun.
Origin Lead  Developer

moogy blues

• Acoustic Focus
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2010, 06:43:50 am »
Uploaded new version last night.
After the main 45 min update I rebooted for the finalisation process
following this a message came up saying the the installation had failed
to update properly and to restart the origin and check status.

Initially i had a dark grey screen (which was troubling) and
had to reboot the origin three times before the normal display
came back. When checking the system details the upto date version
was installed and the system functioned ok and did not crash (yet!)

I did fall asleep following the main 45min upload and the message
saying to reboot the origin had been displayed for several hours before
I rebooted for the finalisation process. Not sure if this was the problem

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines