May 03, 2024, 06:57:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Create User GUI? User Template category?  (Read 2638 times)

kidharpoon

Create User GUI? User Template category?
« on: March 04, 2011, 05:14:36 pm »
Hey all,

Ok, so the origin is slowly finding its place in my studio, and where I seem to enjoy creating patches on my less versatile synths more, I'm finding the most exciting thing about Origin for me is creating my own instruments. Either modeled on vintage synths (see synthguy99's great bunch of templates in the user presets section) or to create brand new ones, to then create patches within.

Its not quite as vast as Reaktor, but I think it has those inclinations, and the more Arturia leant in that direction with it the better. One of the exciting things about reaktor is having a Gui rather than clicking into a load of modules at the end.

I know some of you will jump on my back and say that a GUI is just aesthetic and will add nothing, but I like my instruments how I like my women, fundamentally good to look at. It makes me want to use them, and the one that has a lot under the surface is the one you end up marrying.

The look of an instrument can shape how you think/use it, and making my own in Reaktor is really rewarding. I think this is something I'd love to see developed in the Origin. Probably more than some of the Templates we're due to receive in the future.

My questions are....

a) what do people think of this?

and

b) is this something that could be acheived easily/unofficially? ie could someone independent develop a simple program to port GUI Templates to Origin via the Origin Connection?

Finally, can I also suggest to Arturia to create a new "New" category for User Templates, so they can be saved separately from patches. I'm finding that I need to do a lot of searching sometimes to find my Templates. Not sure if this is doable either.

Anyway, some food for thought. Be good to know what you think

KH

synthguy99

Re: Create User GUI? User Template category?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 07:18:25 pm »
Being more of a synthesist than a keyboardist, being able to create instruments on this thing is why I bought an Origin.  That and the price was right.  ;D  I'd love to buy another one, but I'm saving up for more goodies to add to the arsenal.  Oh, and thanks for the mention of my templates.  I'd add to that, kidharpoon's well made ARP Odyssey instrument is included in my template downloads.

To your point, it would be great to see Origin beefed up to be more like Reaktor in some ways, or my comparison, a fully blown Sonic-Core system, although one of those will run you about $4000 US if I remember right.  Maybe an Origin II would be a good idea with more ram and DSPs.

Of course Reaktor is possible because it's PC based, and I'm not sure just how many resources the Origin has available.  For that matter, and more importantly, I'm not sure how many resources Arturia has available!

Is it doable in the Little O?  I'm very doubtful.  However, if PC integration is ever made available, perhaps a user GUI tool could be made for it.  Something like that should be entirely possible.  Unfortunately, Arturia has a lot of work to do, still needing to produce the ARP 2600 and CS-80 templates.  And hopefully, making Prophet V oscillators and filters, as well as Oberheim OSCs and filters!  I can never have enough tools, and I'd really love to have these instruments in my Origin.
One day, I want my keyboard studio to be a synth museum like Hans Zimmer's

p.s.  PRAY FOR THIS PLANET!!

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 01:36:08 pm »
I agree 100% that GUI is very important thing in individualizing those templates or instruments. It's great thing to have a MiniMg or Jupiter templates which also look like those synths and you can see those virtual knobs move. I don't see this as being just aesthetics; it makes templates more easy to use, more easy to learn them (their unique features etc.). And yes, it makes them much more fascinating and attractive. This should be obvious to Arturia as well. We are very close to have things like iPad which have a nice touchscreen GUIs for synth applications (there's already at least Korg synths available). So if Origin wants to be player in the game also in the future, Arturia must follow the plan of developing new visual templates and computer integration also. More pre-made visual synth templates, more attractive product. IMO it's simple as that.

About the computer integration: there should be also virtual Origin plugin in which you can make those things in bigger screen and with mouse. It should not be that difficult to make that, am I right?

To sum it, Origin IS a great product but IMO key to win new customers is to make more templates with GUIs and improving computer integration. This is not only making us (old Origin owners) satisfied which is also important (also for marketing and winning new customers)......

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 01:53:39 pm by JacksonP »

holografique

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 07:01:25 am »
I agree as well. I would love to be able to make a custom GUI for my templates, especially my Mg Source and JP-6 templates :)

I spent years in Reaktor back in the old days, and being able to put a nice GUI over top of your structures was always great.

My guess is we probably won't see this available until Arturia has exhausted all development efforts on the Generation 1 platform and decide to release a development SDK for end-users. It's an amazing platform, you could almost say a real incarnation of what the PPG Realizer was supposed to be.

-o

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines