April 19, 2024, 09:42:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Origin pre-sales questions  (Read 2226 times)

anothernewbie

Origin pre-sales questions
« on: June 16, 2011, 04:16:25 pm »
Hi,

I've got some questions before buying the Orion, some of them very basic and I hope not to offend your high standards by asking them...

For a sound installation I'd like to have a do-it-all kinda instrument that allows me to do the following:

* Create simple melodies (or sequences), trigger them via MIDI and then output them on separate channels to active loudspeakers (think: melodies 1-4 go to loudspeaker A, melodies 5-8 to loudspeaker B, melodies 9-12 to loudspeaker C, etc)
It is important that I can trigger each melody with a single MIDI command and not have to send an long series of MIDI commands playing a single, simple melody.

* Use built-in "natural" sounds e.g. piano, as well as synth sounds I'll design myself on the Orion. I assume the Orion has a large, built-in sound library.

* Sample my own sounds, e.g. spoken word and trigger them via MIDI or use them as components in the "melodies". As far as I can tell from reading Orion's manual, it does not have the capability to load (or record) and play back samples other than the built-in ones.

Your input is highly appreciated and maybe even point me to a different instrument that could do all those tricks.

Thank you for your time!

Erwin

rcmusic

• Beta-testers
Re: Origin pre-sales questions
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 05:40:08 pm »
By Orion, you mean Origin of course. orion would made a nice synthesizer name, only if put in the same studio where a jupiter would be  ;D

origin does not sampling and you can not import samples. origin does not have "natural"" sounds (as real piano, guitar....). about triggering melodies, i'll let other people to respond, i did not get it.

hope that helps you a little.

welcome on the forum

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Origin pre-sales questions
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 09:38:24 pm »
* Create simple melodies (or sequences), trigger them via MIDI and then output them on separate channels to active loudspeakers (think: melodies 1-4 go to loudspeaker A, melodies 5-8 to loudspeaker B, melodies 9-12 to loudspeaker C, etc)
It is important that I can trigger each melody with a single MIDI command and not have to send an long series of MIDI commands playing a single, simple melody.

The Origin is 4 part multitimbral and each part has its own sequencer and arpeggiator. The sequencers can be started by playing (and holding) a single note over MIDI separately for each part. Thus you can get it to play 4 different melodies each with its own sound and its own output (for connection to separate mixer channels or speakers).

Since each part is polyphonic you can also start several instances of the sound/sequence by playing several notes simultaneously. Each instance of the sound/sequence will then play the melody in a different key. These sequenced melodies have up to 32 steps each. Furthermore, each instance of the sound can be made to sound somewhat different depending on the key it is played by if you use key tracking to alter the synthesis parameters. Each part also have a separate effects processor for reverbation, echo etc.. This way you can get a lot of sounds out of it (up to 32), playing 4 distinct melodies at a time.

Note that this is not really the same as a four part band playing a traditional song, although it can be made to sound good and interesting in its own way. Also, setting up the Origin to do this requires a bit of synth programming experience, so if you're not used to that, you might want to get help from someone who is.

DJ
--

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines