March 19, 2024, 04:14:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Cubase and Spark  (Read 19453 times)

matt1314

• Beta-testers
    • Virtual Vintage Dreams
Cubase and Spark
« on: June 20, 2011, 11:04:08 pm »
Hey everybody!

Just got Spark and I already need some help from you, guys. I read the manual, but it didn't help me. I installed it etc. with the VST plugin and started Cubase. I chose Spark as the VST instrument and it appeared.

Before I composed a melody and recorded it in Audacity. Now I want to add some drums from Spark, but Cubase doesn't record anything, when I start my created pattern by pressing the play button in Spark. The red circle with the black dot in Cubase is activated (for recording), but nothing gets recorded, the bar on the right of the track which normally should be filled with some sound, is all the way empty while recording. Is there a special way to record the drums from Spark or is there any other intelligent possibility to add drums to my melody? Because I want to add some fill-ins while the melody plays etc.

Thanks in advance. :)

P.S.: Screenshot for better understanding:

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:07:47 pm by matt1314 »
matt1314

A.k.a. Virtual Vintage Dreams

guardner

• Beta-testers
    • Instagram
Re: Cubase and Spark
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 11:14:49 am »
You have to add Spark as a midi controller to cubase and activate it!!
but uncheck the "Spark Private" midi connections!!
connect only the "Spark Public" ones (as stated in the manual!).

then u should be able to record drums...

My way (i think the better way) is to record patterns into Spark and then drag n drop Audio/Midi to Cubase arrange window.
I think/feel that the Spark sequencer is MUCH MORE groovy and drum like, and everything sounds much tighter and REAL, than working in a "normal" sequencer.

i hope that helped... ;)
macOS 10.14.6, MatrixBrute, V-Collection7, Pigments, all FX and more...

matt1314

• Beta-testers
    • Virtual Vintage Dreams
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 05:21:43 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

So I can only record drums when using the MIDI controller? Wouldn't I be able to do that without the controller? I'm just curious. ;)

Can you maybe give some short instruction(s) on how to activate it in Cubase? Because I wasn't able to do that myself. I always got the message when starting up Spark "deactivate Spark Private In and Out etc. in the MIDI settings", but never found these settings where I could do that. The manual didn't help me either...
matt1314

Kevin

• http://www.arturia.com
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 08:46:44 am »
Hi Matt,
As Marcus said.
I recommend you to record your patterns inside Spark sequencer then export them via drag'n'drop as explained here.

Hope this helps.

Best
Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

matt1314

• Beta-testers
    • Virtual Vintage Dreams
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 04:38:02 pm »
Okay, thank you. But I need to know how to record the drums in the Spark sequencer. That's exactly what I'm looking for.
matt1314

matt1314

• Beta-testers
    • Virtual Vintage Dreams
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 03:25:48 pm »
Still nobody to help me on how to record the drums of Spark inside its own sequencer? The only thing I found out is that if I go to the library and then to "Edit", I have a button "Export" which exports only the beat I created between steps 1-16 (I didn't use the other steps), but I want to record a drum loop as long as I want and not only that short sequence which I'll have to import to Cubase and then copy it all the time to have a drum loop for my needed length. The thing is that I also want to add some fill-ins I created to the main drum loop and the crashes I added at the end of the fill-ins mustn't be cut off, but should fade out as normal when I play the drum loop and add a fill-in by clicking another button, where I that fill-in is in (like Pattern 1 on the pattern circle of Spark is the main loop and Pattern 2 is the fill-in etc. and I switch between them when I want to add a fill-in and then go back to the main loop).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 03:28:26 pm by matt1314 »
matt1314

matt1314

• Beta-testers
    • Virtual Vintage Dreams
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 02:57:35 pm »
Anybody to help me please? I'm still stuck... :-\
matt1314

Kevin

• http://www.arturia.com
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 03:11:03 pm »
Hi Matt,
sorry for not answering before.
If I understand well, you want to be able to record in realtime what Spark is playing.
You can only do it in audio, it is not possible in MIDI.

Tell me if it answer to your question or if I totally misunderstood you.
Kevin
Soft Arturia

matt1314

• Beta-testers
    • Virtual Vintage Dreams
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 10:35:47 am »
Yes, that's actually what I want to do. Like all other VSTs I use, so I can press the record button and it'll record what I played on it. And I want that the drum pattern is continuously recorded until I stop the recording. So what does it mean it's not possible in MIDI, but in audio? What do I need to do for that?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:37:19 am by matt1314 »
matt1314

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 05:42:17 pm »
Hi matt one way you can record audio of spark to audio mix down in cubase. set the locaters to how long you want to record spark go to export audio mix down select spark channels set export audio to pool and track and off you go.
hope this helps.
ps if not try sending audio out to a new audio in and hit record.but export audio is how i do it.
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

matt1314

• Beta-testers
    • Virtual Vintage Dreams
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 12:33:57 pm »
Okay, I'll try, but the thing is that I'll have the pattern exported only and if I want to record and add a fill-in for example, I wouldn't be able to alter the pattern in real time. That's so complicated, why just don't make Spark to be able to record the whole pattern in Cubase or any other DAW in real time without having to export and import something...
matt1314

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 01:03:30 pm »
ok right there's one more way you can record live in cubase i use, and that is to add a group track and a audio track route spark to the group channel  then on the input of the audio channel set input to group and then you can record live from spark.if you dont know who to do this i may make you a youtube video ok ,if i get time.
regards
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments

matt1314

• Beta-testers
    • Virtual Vintage Dreams
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 04:18:59 pm »
I could try that if you described it a bit more detailed. I added a group track, an audio track and the instrument track with Spark (see screenshot). Now what shall I do? How do I do that routing with that audio input channel etc.?

matt1314

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 04:40:04 pm »
look at my mixers routing and make sure you have the audio channel armed or in record mode
please log in to the forum to see the pics?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:55:23 pm by terrym »
TerryM

matt1314

• Beta-testers
    • Virtual Vintage Dreams
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 06:30:40 pm »
No 1. on the picture:

For Audio 02 I can't select Group 1, but I have Stereo Out selected. Also, I don't have any Stereo In channel as you do.

No. 2 on the picture:

That's my mixer. I selected the options as you did for Spark 01 (Group 1) and Group 1 (No Bus), but as I said I can't select Group 1 for Audio 02. Also, how come you have that "side kick" as Stereo In?
matt1314

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines