March 19, 2024, 08:36:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Big Knob  (Read 13837 times)

guardner

• Beta-testers
    • Instagram
Big Knob
« on: December 06, 2011, 04:58:36 pm »
Hi!

just wanted to know how the "Big Knob" problem is going on with new versions of the software...
It's soooooooo annoying to turn a knob and the cursor moves into the wrong direction.
sometimes it's really hard to get exact values. :(

macOS 10.14.6, MatrixBrute, V-Collection7, Pigments, all FX and more...

jiaiffe

Re: Big Knob
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 05:10:43 pm »
Hello,

I've got the same problem on my Origin : the big knob (patch selector) is very sensitive and move sometimes in the wrong direction or drop some lines.

Did you solve your problem ? Have you got any answers so far ?

Thanks in advance,
JF

Philippe

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 09:02:49 pm »
Hmmmm.

All the encoders are handled the same way in the firmware. So if one encoder - and not the others - is having an erratic behaviour it's likely the encoder itself which is the cause.
Origin Lead  Developer

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 11:56:39 am »
Hi,

I have quite new Origin Kb (bought in december 2012) and it has this big knob thing: if you turn it fast it can jump to an opposite direction. On the other hand if I turn it slowly it normally goes right way. I have had this with my desktop too. It's not very nice but at the moment I can live with it. But once again it proves my earlier thoughts: Origin's weakeast part are those encoders. My first unit had terrible knob problem and I had to cancel the whole deal. And as we know, replacing those cannot be done elsewhere than in France. I think there are quite many Origin users having some (bigger or smaller) knob problems and tolerating these issues because of the long process which it would take to fix them.

But as said, I can live with this at the moment. There's just a little fear (based to my earlier experiences) that things can get worse. It's shame cause overall buildquality of the unit feels good. Compared to plastic and clumsy Korgs for example, Origin KB feels like high quality instrument. And it is, mostly... ;)

tertior

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 09:00:38 am »
I have a HPD 10 Roland and a knob has the same problem; I can't get the value that I want. I must do it with button + and - .
I dont want return it at Roland for the same reason that you Jackson. I do it with my Origin sometimes

moogy blues

• Acoustic Focus
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 10:32:12 am »
Just to say I've always had problems operating the large patch selector knob. Needs to be done slowly otherwise you go all over the shop

Would be great if Arturia could send out a travelling techie fixer to sort it out ;-)

tertior

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 12:45:55 pm »
 For the big Knob, this is not a defect but a feature to quickly navigate through the presets eg

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 01:09:53 am »
Feature? When you turn it fast it goes few steps up then suddenly down. Not very nice feature IMO. To compare it to something really well made, have you tried some (Clavia) Nords which has similar endless knobs for fast/slow selection? In my Nord Drum for example it really works perfect; this small beat box has 100 presets and if I wanna go very quicly to either end 0 or 100, I just move the knob very fast. But if I wanna go, say from 66 to 67,68,69 this is very accurate too. If you don't know them yet try any nord with this knob and you know how it is supposed to work. Unfortunately Origin's big knob is far from that; what I am not sure, that is it broken or just badly implemented? Is there some user with perfectly working big knob or do all of us have this "feature"? Anyway from my two Origins my newer one has worse big knob than the older which has traveled a lot with me...

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:11:55 am by JacksonP »

tertior

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 12:31:47 pm »

hmmm if I want 66 to 67 or to 69 no problem, if I want 467 to 352 no problem
if you turn the knob and you stop on a preset   and continuous this will  stay on the  on the preset. This is not a button of Clavia, elektron but it is clear if you want. Finally it's like that on my own.
On my HPD 10  if your turn quickly or slowly the values are erratic. Before not; this  knob has a problem.
On Arturia it is only a habit to take with this, and notched system is also well.

JacksonP take your 2 hands for turn   ;)  or you got a bad knob

paulshillito

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 02:56:49 pm »
I have the same problem and I bought my origin about 3 years ago, It has gradually got worse and now its pretty much unusable whether you turn it fast or slow it just goes every where.

I put in a request to find out how much it would cost to fix but over a week later and still no one at Arturia has replied to the the tech support request which does not fill me with a great deal of confidence  :(

Has any body had this repair done and if so how much was it. I live in the UK so shipping wont be too much but I don't know how much it will be or how long it takes.

Paul

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 07:20:22 pm »
Hi,

As much as I love my Origins, this Big Knob issue really starts to piss me off...! I have older Origin desktop and this newer  Origin Keyboard (bought December 2012) is having much more issues with this knob. Editing begins to be like nightmare when values jump upwards and backwards. And I have kept it only at one place at my home for less than 1 year. It has been used with extreme care.

At the moment I am thinking about tolerating this little more and then sending it back to German and hope for the best. I still have warranty left.

I just wish there could be another way to fix it. Sending 20kg unit to Germany and the to France and then back to Finland feels just so exaggeration for just one knob.

Any ideas from Arturia guys, please? There are so many of us having this issue with this knob. It really seems to be the weakest part of the Origin or kind of a "type fault".

???

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 08:37:22 pm by JacksonP »

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 08:06:05 pm »

Philippe,

since the problem seems to be with the "A" knob hardware itself...do you have any knowledge about what type / model of potentiometer is used for the big "A" knob?

I am thinking that this part is probably also used in other instruments, and maybe someone has posted a solution to this "jumping" issue in other forums on the web.

Specifically if some of us didn't want to wait for a few months to get our Origin fixed, and/or if the warranty has expired, we might be able to open it up ourselves and remove the click/notch functionality from the knob so that it turns smoothly (my hunch is that the "jumping" is caused by the knob-turn-clicks)

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 10:21:22 pm »
Hi all,

About Big Knob-issue:
I've tried to open this conversation with Arturia first on this forum and obviously without success. Some time ago I tried to ask their technical support about it. In fact John replied me and with his words "This technical support open case needs the intervention of a level 2 technician, so I forward it to the adequate service for a quick solution."

Now it's 10 days since this message and still waiting this "quick solution". I am not after a miracle, I'd just like to have an idea how to proceed with this knob issue. I just wish that Arturia could be little more responsible towards its customers. I've tried to keep my thoughts positive cause I love my two Origins as instruments but on the other hand there are few very basic level problems that definitely should not be there. One is this big knob issue, other is this Origin keyboard's MIDI out problems (read other thread).

???

btw, have you noticed that this knob issue isn't "stable"? At least my big knob has better and worse days. Somedays it works far from perfect but it's still kind of usable. Other times it's just nightmare to use it. When it's like that I have use those assignable encoders when I am modifying some parameter...

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:34:33 pm by JacksonP »

dazastah

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 05:35:10 am »
Any new info on replacing/solving the big knob issue... I've got the same problem with my desktop origin..  I'm sure mines out of warranty too.. Is there a possible self user fix.

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 06:49:32 pm »
No news. I must say that I am little bit frustrated with Arturia at the moment. I contacted Arturia support about this Big Knob issue with my O-kb. I got response from David and everything seemed to go well. He wrote that they can send me replacement parts and instructions. Then suddenly the conversation stopped and I've heard nothing from them since. I've send few mails but nothing but silencio... Not very nice support for double Origin owner. :(

And reading other thread (@mmp) and Arturia forum in general I am not the onlyone. This company should really be more responsible towards their customers.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:55:46 pm by JacksonP »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines