March 19, 2024, 04:30:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Possibility to limit number of voices in polyphonic mode?  (Read 5599 times)

Humanizer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Possibility to limit number of voices in polyphonic mode?
« on: December 22, 2011, 04:49:49 pm »

To the Arturia team.
Sounds with long decays will inevitably put the processor on knee when playing repeated/followed chords in POLY mode. CPU occupation can reaches over 133% and more. That's leads to crackle and glitches...
Vst3 version is used here.
Is there a way to avoid this? There no voice counter/limiter like on the other synths of Arturia.

Ps : un grand bravo pour ce merveilleux plug-in.

Kevin

• http://www.arturia.com
Re: Possibility to limit number of voices in polyphonic mode?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 08:50:26 am »
Hi,
we will try to add this for the upcoming update.
It should be released in the beginning of 2012.

BEst
Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

matt1314

• Beta-testers
    • Virtual Vintage Dreams
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 08:51:47 pm »
I can only confirm that. I can't really test the demo, my ASIO4ALL v2 driver gets overloaded again and again and I can't get rid of the cracklings and glitches. I cannot get really a feeling about this synth when it gets overloaded all the time. I hope you can fix this bug until the 11th January. Then my demo time limit runs out and I'd still like to try it out without the driver/CPU overload... :(
matt1314

A.k.a. Virtual Vintage Dreams

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 11:18:17 am »
I can only confirm that. I can't really test the demo, my ASIO4ALL v2 driver gets overloaded again and again and I can't get rid of the cracklings and glitches. I cannot get really a feeling about this synth when it gets overloaded all the time. I hope you can fix this bug until the 11th January. Then my demo time limit runs out and I'd still like to try it out without the driver/CPU overload... :(
Hi,

If you're only trying to get a feeling of what this synth can do and you don't have a true ASIO audio interface (been there, done that) I guess your only choice is to force the "Mono" and/or adjust/cut the Decay knob on each preset you try.

You can also try to increase the ASIO4ALL buffer size, although, if the problem is the CPU not being able to handle both the synth and all the embedded audio chip work, it'll be hard to get a real feeling of the end audio result of this new synth.

Do you have this same issue with all the other Arturia synths ?

oh, and btw, about this thread topic:
I agree with everyone else asking for voice UNISON and Voice restriction.

Voice number restriction would be great to emulate the 2 and 4 voice SEMs while also taking care of CPU reduction as a side-effect.

UNISON with selectable number of voices being used would also be great, so one could still have 2 or 4 voice polyphony while using 4 or 2 voice UNISON, besides the 8 mono mode.
If, besides global unison detune, there was a per-voice detune, kinda like CS-80, that would be even better, I guess :)

These 2 features would really improve this already great Arturia synth :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 11:29:31 am by Koshdukai »

matt1314

• Beta-testers
    • Virtual Vintage Dreams
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 01:02:47 pm »
Hi,

No, I don't have the problem with other Arturia synths. That's why I asked, the SEM V is the only one that gives me that heavy overload and I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @2,33 GHz, which isn't bad in my opinion. I think that depends more on the ASIO4ALL v2 driver itself rather than from the CPU. And I tried to increase the buffer size to like 2048 samples and it got just a little better but still some presets like EpicBrass and some strings give me that overload when playing more than three keys for a chord. On three keys it gives me like 70% load...
I also have some other really "big" VSTi like Sylenth1, Nexus etc. and these don't give me such an overload, no matter how many keys I press at the same time.
matt1314

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 03:17:06 pm »
depends more on the ASIO4ALL v2 driver itself rather than from the CPU. And I tried to increase the buffer size to like 2048 samples and it got just a little better
I see.

On a T7300 @2.00GHz Core2 Duo XP machine with ASIO4ALL @44.1K and 512 sample buffer size (although I usually use my i7 with Win7 and various ASIO audio interfaces for any serious use) I'm quite capable of playing a 3 or 4 note chord using the LTZ_Epic Brass_BR preset without any noticeable audio issues... although, the VST CPU usage bar will show me load values between 170% and 220% (which is kinda funny... maybe I should really download the latest version and install it on this machine) while the host shows me CPU loads of 50% while playing that same 4 note chord.

Anyway, besides the CPU load, do you hear audio degradation ?

btw, what's the CPU load while the synth is idle ?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 05:40:14 pm by Koshdukai »

matt1314

• Beta-testers
    • Virtual Vintage Dreams
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 03:52:17 pm »
Well, I also can play a 4 note chord without any issues but as soon as I play a 3 note chord with my left hand and a melody to it with my right hand, the VST CPU load can go up to 110% and more.

To your question: Well, the only thing which happens when I get an overload is that I hear various cracklings and audio gaps inbetween until the VST CPU load bar sinks down to a low value.

While it's on idle, the load to me is 2-3%.
matt1314

Kevin

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 04:00:04 pm »
That's why we plan to add a voice number selector (just like in the other synths). To not allow too much voice on long decay presets.
I don't know when it will be releasee, the guy who works on the update (Adrien) is off this week and I don't know how much time it will take him to solve all the issues.
More news next year ;)

Best
Kevin
Kevin
Soft Arturia

matt1314

• Beta-testers
    • Virtual Vintage Dreams
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 12:28:50 am »
Okay, I'm really looking forward to the update. :) But then my demo license will be over and I won't have a feeling of this synth...
matt1314

Kevin

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 08:24:01 am »
I am not a master of eLicenser but I think we will be able to find a solution when the update will be available.
Kevin
Soft Arturia

matt1314

• Beta-testers
    • Virtual Vintage Dreams
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 03:52:16 pm »
Glad to hear, looking forward to it. :)
matt1314

Adrien

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 11:14:51 am »
Hi,

Just to confirm, be patient, It is coming in the next update : 1.0.1 as new features, bug fixes and presets.

Best
Adrien Courdavault
DSP & Software engineer
Arturia

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines