April 16, 2024, 09:01:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Why Oberheim SEM is a success to me  (Read 4187 times)

reflekshun

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Why Oberheim SEM is a success to me
« on: December 17, 2011, 01:30:47 pm »
The most striking thing you will notice when opening this up on your computer, is that most other synths you open up on your computer have way more knobs, features, and controls. Heck theres not even a release on the envelopes and the LFO1 section is ONE KNOB.

This is why this synth is a success to me, Arturia has added a few very nifty addons, but it's the limitations I feel that don't get recognition they deserve, for setting you free to focus on making musical sounds.

In the first few hours of using this, I'm instantly making musical and practical sounds, because the limitations almost don't allow me to make anything but useful musical practical sounds, which to me, is freaking awesome. I love having more control over sound design at times, and I think it's important to remember that limitations and focus can give you more control, not just more knobs and features.

If you're looking for something with that infinite freedom, there are tonnes of other softsynths waiting for you. If you're looking for a rich sounding synth with clear focus on what it is out to achieve and still offering a very fun arpeggiator section. This is gold.

Gritty, dirty, large, bold, musical. This is how I'd describe it so far. Thanks Arturia for the amazing work you've done. I'm sure to be buying this in the next few days, I hope we all enjoy making sounds with this thing for years to come!

Here are a couple of quick tests, using the awesome arp section:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/606962/Obertest.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/606962/Obertest6.mp3

jmcecil

Re: Why Oberheim SEM is a success to me
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 06:12:17 pm »
nice!
cpu:i7 980x - RAM:12gb -  OS:Win8x64 - Interface:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 -  MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru -
Host: Cubase 6.5/7 x64 | Reaper 4.5 x64 |Wavelab 8 x64 - Arturia Stuff: V Collection | Spark | Keylab 61

jonmoore

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 06:36:59 pm »
Couldn't agree more. I'm fed up of readings peoples wish lists based on what the SEM isn't. Sometimes a restricted architecture facilitates you in your quest to produce great timbres. Not that I'd say the SEM is limited, it's just very clever at hiding it's deeper complexity and enables you to explore it's extended feature set in an extremely intuitive manner.

JM
------------
http://soundcloud.com/leftside-wobble

johnallan

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 10:05:11 pm »
I feel that comparing these excellent analog emulation instruments, on the basis of what they can or can't due compared to current digital synths, kind of misses the point.

These are amazing emulations of classical musical instruments that just happen to be synthesizers. Some of these instruments (MiniMg, Mg modular, SEM) are musical instruments in their own right, just as are a piano, an organ, a violin. One wouldn't say I like this grand piano, but I wish it had a different or additional technical feature to make it comparable to a more general synthesizer.

There are modern digital sound design tools (synthesizers), that have more technical capability than these legacy synthesizer instruments. If one wants those features, then get the digital sound design tool. However, if one wants a classic instrument beautifully modeled as a plugin, that doesn't cost as much as the real deal - and adds programability (huge deal compared to the originals) and Midi, Then virtual instruments like the SEM are an easy choice. You're buying more of a classic instrument than a general synthesizer. Embrace the difference.

My two cents.

John

reflekshun

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 03:23:14 am »
I feel that comparing these excellent analog emulation instruments, on the basis of what they can or can't due compared to current digital synths, kind of misses the point.

These are amazing emulations of classical musical instruments that just happen to be synthesizers. Some of these instruments (MiniMg, Mg modular, SEM) are musical instruments in their own right, just as are a piano, an organ, a violin. One wouldn't say I like this grand piano, but I wish it had a different or additional technical feature to make it comparable to a more general synthesizer.

There are modern digital sound design tools (synthesizers), that have more technical capability than these legacy synthesizer instruments. If one wants those features, then get the digital sound design tool. However, if one wants a classic instrument beautifully modeled as a plugin, that doesn't cost as much as the real deal - and adds programability (huge deal compared to the originals) and Midi, Then virtual instruments like the SEM are an easy choice. You're buying more of a classic instrument than a general synthesizer. Embrace the difference.

My two cents.

John

Well said John! Couldn't agree more. You can't adjust the ADSR envelopes on a B3 Organ, but thats what helps give it definition for what it is now known for. Good to hear I'm not the only one :)

MadeInMachines

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 12:18:44 pm »
I'd have to agree I'm finding it really inspiring and quick to get really useful and interesting results and they sound great. The only trick I feel the missed was proper unison detune - something the Oberheim are quite famous for. But yes, I love it.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines