March 28, 2024, 03:08:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: arturia minibrute  (Read 25092 times)

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
arturia minibrute
« on: January 19, 2012, 12:04:08 pm »
hi just saw on the music radar arturia have made an analog synth called the minibrute
and its real analog and will cost about 500 euros
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:45:26 pm by terrym »
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

Antoine

Re: arturia minibrute
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 01:06:54 pm »
Yep, and we are particularly proud of this new little beast!  8)
More information coming in the following hours on our website.
ex-Arturian

ralfna

• Ferienwohnung Teneriffa
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 01:30:06 pm »
Great news! I´m really looking forwart to see the full specs and hopefully soon some user reviews :D

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 01:45:11 pm »
will it come in (arturia cream colour) as well.
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments

Antoine

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 01:53:57 pm »
will it come in (arturia cream colour) as well.
No cream nor light-cyan this time.
New color scheme for the analog beast: industrial style, grey/black backgorund with white printings, serviceable for dark stages.
ex-Arturian

states

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 01:59:32 pm »
Yep, and we are particularly proud of this new little beast!  8)
More information coming in the following hours on our website.

AT WHAT TIME ??????????? please excuse the Caps.. i'm in agony here !!!! must pre-order NOW !!!!!

Antoine

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 02:35:10 pm »
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 03:20:23 pm by Antoine »
ex-Arturian

Sweep

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 08:06:56 pm »
So far all of the videos have failed to work, apart from one with two blokes mumbling vaguely about how great it sounds, but not actually proving anything. Vague comments about how great the filter sounds aren't much use unless we can actually hear it.  I personally wouldn't buy something even if one of the musicians I really respect said it was great.  No way would I be interested just because some vague mumbling character who has no reason to impress me says its great.

Hopefully some proper videos will follow later.

I'm a bit surprised about the design. A two octave keyboard? Maybe of use to people playing really unimaginative bass, but not a lot else. MIDI control from a proper keyboard is the obvious answer, but then it would have made sense not to have a keyboard at all, rather than have one that you don't use, that's pushed up the production costs, that you have to reach over from your proper keyboard when making adjustments, and that increases the footprint of the synth for nothing.

On the plus side, if the CV out would allow the device to double as a MIDI to CV converter, that would be interesting. I could use this to control my ARP Axxe from a MIDI keyboard, for instance, as well as using it as a synth in its own right. Will that work, or would there be latency problems?

states

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 08:15:03 pm »
 ;D you've got fresh custom !!! THANK YOU for this wonderful new product !
it'll complement my sh-101 and my x0x's perfectly !

Terrym

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 09:19:03 pm »
Will there be a (tae) software version arturia emulating there own synth ;)
TerryM

Sweep

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 09:38:14 pm »
Some more considered comments, now that the other videos are finally working. I just posted this on another forum, and it may bear adding here as well:

Now the other videos are actually working, we have a better overview of this thing.

I'm inclined to say it's well designed, apart from the keyboard.  Obvious and not very original, but solid and good. It's about time we saw a decent multimode filter on an analogue monosynth.

Judging from the second video I don't like the sound of the filter in self-oscillation. It has the harsh quality of the Korg MS filters. Of course that's a matter of personal preference and would be right for some people. It could also be that the settings and performance in this video make it sound harsh and it could be sweeter and fuller in practice. So far I prefer the sound I was able to get from the Roland Gaia when I tried one a little while ago - and the ultimate would still be the beautiful ARP filter on the
Axxe. I made an oriental flute just by self-oscillating the filter and keyboard tracking it. (There's a YouTube video somewhere of someone demonstrating the filter on a late model Axxe.)

The LFOs seem well thought out. Experimentation would be needed to see what sorts of complex modulations are possible, and whether one LFO having been designed with vibrato in mind would be a limitation. I like the aftertouch modulation option, though - so long as that can also be received over MIDI from a proper keyboard. Annoying if it can't. And it's good to see a good range of waveshapes on the main LFO. It's also worth remembering that the arpeggiator can be used for LFO-type effects as well.

One thing not mentioned, that I would have liked to see, is a hold button, or a bypass for the ADSR, so you could free up both hands for manipulating the controls without having to stick Gestapo knives in the keyboard to hold a key down.

I think we'll soon be sick of hearing the Ultrasaw on every record that comes out, like the Roland Supersaw that's obviously more or less the same thing.

The audio demos make it sound like the kind of horrible buzzy kind of crap I avoid, but it may well be capable of a lot more. So far no full richness in the self-oscillating filter and no nice hollowness in the square wave, nor anything else that really appeals to me in the tone, but I'd want to see if that's really the case.

The keyboard modulation and the CV outs tempt me, and I'll try one to see if it does have any musical possibilities for me, but I'll wait and I suspect it won't be a likely option for me unless I'm suddenly in possession of more cash than I need (and when did that ever happen?) By that time they'll be second hand and we'll know how good the build quality really is. Still, I see these selling in shedloads and making a lot of money for Arturia. Who knows, they may be able to employ someone to answer questions I asked their tech support two, three or more years ago?

Antoine

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 10:17:03 pm »
Obvious and not very original, but solid and good. It's about time we saw a decent multimode filter on an analogue monosynth.
Judging from the second video I don't like the sound of the filter in self-oscillation. It has the harsh quality of the Korg MS filters. Of course that's a matter of personal preference and would be right for some people.
Yep, we clearly wanted a "not-too-smooth" filter on this beast, though still being usable.
And absolutely didn't want to implement the 1,854th implementaion of the classic 24db/oct ladder filter we all know (and appreciate though); let's try something else! ;)
Sure it may not fit everyone's taste, the goal is to introduce some fresh variety in sound, I mean: reactivate the analog synthesis genetic vitality. 

One thing not mentioned, that I would have liked to see, is a hold button, or a bypass for the ADSR, so you could free up both hands for manipulating the controls without having to stick Gestapo knives in the keyboard to hold a key down.
You will find the 3-position Gate Source selector on the backpanel:
* Keyboard: normal mode, keys trig the envelopes
* Hold: drone mode, VCA is fully open
* Audio: an external signal trigs the envelopes

I think we'll soon be sick of hearing the Ultrasaw on every record that comes out, like the Roland Supersaw that's obviously more or less the same thing.
Ultrasaw is directly inherited from the Yusynth Saw Animator module.
If we are overwhelmed again with trance-like lead sounds, it's the artists fault, not ours!  ;D

PS: let me drop an eye on your "silent" case, please PM me case number.
ex-Arturian

states

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 10:54:36 pm »
no way i could ever criticise this product.
i mean ...  CV/MIDI & USB on the same machine is worth more than Arturia's asking price per se._

Sweep

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 11:17:11 pm »
And absolutely didn't want to implement the 1,854th implementaion of the classic 24db/oct ladder filter we all know (and appreciate though); let's try something else! ;)
Sure it may not fit everyone's taste, the goal is to introduce some fresh variety in sound, I mean: reactivate the analog synthesis genetic vitality.

Yes, I like the fact that you've not gone down that route - though I have a Mg so maybe that's easy for me to say.

One of the things I really like about the Arturia softsynths is the wealth of filter options, and I'm very pleased you've transferred that thinking here and not just provided a standard lowpass.

You will find the 3-position Gate Source selector on the backpanel:
* Keyboard: normal mode, keys trig the envelopes
* Hold: drone mode, VCA is fully open
* Audio: an external signal trigs the envelopes

Excellent.

If we are overwhelmed again with trance-like lead sounds, it's the artists fault, not ours!  ;D

Yes. :D  I know, you only make the damn things - it's up to us out here to do something new with them.  Hopefully if you can get these into the hands of as many musicians as possible, some of them will come up with something different.  Good synths at a decent price are the best way to that.

Thanks for the comment about outstanding cases.  I'll sort out the details and PM you.

akiz

• Beta-testers
    • Akis Ziak
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 01:18:58 pm »
Congratulations!

I think this one "stole the thunder" from many other products at NAMM.
I'm looking forward to get one when they're available. ;D

Cheers!
"If a piece of the sun the size of a pinhead were to be placed on Earth, you couldn't safely stand within 90 miles of it!"

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines