March 29, 2024, 07:35:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Update 1.4 status  (Read 10058 times)

Philippe

Update 1.4 status
« on: February 08, 2012, 09:04:36 am »
Hi all Origin users,

The version 1.4 of the Origin firmware has entered the alpha stage. That is we have a full version which has to be internally tested so that we can detect as much regressions and new bugs as we can can before entering a public beta stage.

The main features of this version are:
- enhanced preset management features in Origin Connection app (including the possibility to NOT override your own presets with the new ones while updating your machine)
- 2 new modules ported from the OBSem : the VoiceProcessor and the MultiMode Filter
- new waves added to the WaveTable oscillator
- management of the effects at the  multi level

Please note that this specification could change until the public release.

Origin Lead  Developer

Syndromeda

Re: Update 1.4 status
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:40:45 am »
Great to hear something is really happening  :)
Life is music and music is life.

rcmusic

• Beta-testers
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 03:46:02 pm »
Excellent !

Philippe

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 05:03:51 pm »
For those of you who may not know what is the VoiceProcessor, here are some words about it.

Imagine a real synthesizer built around a basic structure which is duplicated n times. That structure may be a sub-assembly capable of producing the sound of a single voice. Each time a new voice is started (following a note on for instance) then one of these basic structures is chosen to produce the sound for the new voice. Each sub-assembly - or board - has a set of settings that enables to generate different sounds for each boards. The VoiceProcessor is a PATCH module that emulates that kind of real synthesizer's structure. This module emulates a machine using 8 boards, and it provides 8 modulation outputs that can be connected to any compatible input of any module within the patch. The level of these modulations are programmable thru the UI of the module for each board and each output.
When a note on is processed, a "board" is chosen according to some algorithms (that you can choose in the UI: backward and forward circular, random...). The level of the 8 modulations will vary according the chosen board, and therefore the sound generated by the voice will also vary with these modulations.
Origin Lead  Developer

rcmusic

• Beta-testers
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 06:01:54 pm »
For those of you who may not know what is the VoiceProcessor, here are some words about it.

Imagine a real synthesizer built around a basic structure which is duplicated n times. That structure may be a sub-assembly capable of producing the sound of a single voice. Each time a new voice is started (following a note on for instance) then one of these basic structures is chosen to produce the sound for the new voice. Each sub-assembly - or board - has a set of settings that enables to generate different sounds for each boards. The VoiceProcessor is a PATCH module that emulates that kind of real synthesizer's structure. This module emulates a machine using 8 boards, and it provides 8 modulation outputs that can be connected to any compatible input of any module within the patch. The level of these modulations are programmable thru the UI of the module for each board and each output.
When a note on is processed, a "board" is chosen according to some algorithms (that you can choose in the UI: backward and forward circular, random...). The level of the 8 modulations will vary according the chosen board, and therefore the sound generated by the voice will also vary with these modulations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCDpPP42v9s

rcmusic

• Beta-testers
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 06:05:21 pm »
Phil, you speak about 8 modulations outputs, does this mean it will be superior to SEM V (6 modulations outputs) or is it just an example ?

Philippe

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 06:29:52 pm »
Not superior but slightly different. The OBSem shows parameters as choices for the VoiceProcessor outputs. Depending on the parameters it may imply more than 1 modulation connection (these connections are not visible on the OBSem but they exist under the hood). Because of the fully modular nature of Origin we cannot give a choice in term of parameter, but "only" in term of modulation connections. The current version of the Origin VoiceProcessor provides 8 modulation connections, the number of actual "under the hood" OBSem connections can go up to 12.
Origin Lead  Developer

synthguy99

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 08:34:28 pm »
Darn, I was hoping that the Prophet V OSC and filter was going to be included in the update.  But as I said in some other threads, the Origin modules do come very close to the sound character of the Prophet 5, and the SEM filter is more desirable for most of us.  I'm not sure what the VoiceProcessor is going to do for me, but as a synthesist - especially one who wants a real modular synth this year, any new toys are very welcome.  ;)

Very much looking forward to the update, as I'm getting re-involved in my big music project.
One day, I want my keyboard studio to be a synth museum like Hans Zimmer's

p.s.  PRAY FOR THIS PLANET!!

IAA

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 09:05:33 pm »
Great news Arturia, the  OBSem is exactly the kind of update path I invested in origin for. In the first place, and what you're best at.

tomeso

• Beta-testers
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 10:42:48 am »
Another short example about what can be done with the 8-Voice-Programmer in the Oberheim SEM V:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEGGyap8vLE

Frank
"But please don't listen to me
I've already been poisoned by this industry!"
Funk Pop a Roll - XTC

BobTheDog

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 10:07:03 pm »
Super news, I thought the origin had been forgotten. Great to see it hasn't been :)

An.unna.kid

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 11:15:37 pm »
I was just to ask for it and here you post this, it's like you read my mind.

We are very happy for the update and look forward to the new update asap.

Many wishes from Sweden!

Syndromeda

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 03:03:44 pm »
Something I don't understand is that a few months ago you were talking about to completely rewrite the OS and now 1.4 should be released.......?
Please explain.
Cheers,
Danny

Philippe

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 04:11:00 pm »
Something I don't understand is that a few months ago you were talking about to completely rewrite the OS and now 1.4 should be released.......?
Please explain.
Cheers,
Danny

Not sure what you have in mind. A few month ago I explained why the update would not be ready in october 2011. One of the reason was that we had to rewrite *parts* of (and not completely) some low level layer of the OS, particularly the DSPs OS in order to make room for the new modules, which took me some time. The 2nd reason - but not the least - was that our management decided to move the Origin dev team resources to some other projects. Just before I restarted the work on the update (end of 2011), the product team analyzed the whole list of possible features for the coming 1.4. And the conclusion was the specifications I've posted in this thread. For non-yet-developed stuff the focus has been put on features that would be in line with the heart of the machine, and to cancel all unfinished developments that would not strictly be in line. Also the decision has been taken then to limit the nature and the amount of the new features so that we could provide a version in a limited time. It is possible - though not yet decided - that there'll be a second 1.4 release later with some more features/modules.
Origin Lead  Developer

Syndromeda

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 03:34:41 pm »
Ok, thanks for the reply. I think I must have misunderstood some *parts* of the former explanation

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines