March 28, 2024, 03:36:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: hyper saw osc  (Read 5403 times)

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
hyper saw osc
« on: April 06, 2012, 11:39:11 pm »
Hi Origin users and developers!

I have been checking quite many synths and softsynths lately. Basically I've been searching for more modern synth than Origin to complete my live rig. I simply need sounds that I hear in quite recent records. What I still miss mostly is this typical super/hyper/ultra-saw strings that we have been discussing here some time ago. Well, Arturia gave us Supersaw -sound bank by mr.Ubukata, but to be honest it's not good enough. In fact with spending lot of time, I have managed to get quite broad palette from modern sounds from Origin, but supersaw strings is still very far from satisfying.

Among others I've checked Access Virus, Alchemy (Camel audio), ElectraX (Tone2). With any of them you can very easily make big and more or less detuned supersaw leads or pads etc. With Origin I've tried to put together many oscillators and also make multipresets, detune them individually, using chorus and other FX, and still no satisfying result. If you get close, you'll have problems with polyphony...

So finaly, I'd like to know (maybe from Origin developers?) if it's possible to get Ultrasaw oscillator with standard parameters (number of oscillators, detuning, spread) to Origin, or is there some basic problem for implementing it? We can ask more and more of any of those vintage modules, but ultrasaw would really kick Origin to completely different league and to this millenium.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 11:40:47 pm by JacksonP »

ASch

Re: hyper saw osc
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 08:47:16 pm »
Whilst I applaud Arturia's reverence for vintage analogue gear, I have to second this.

I'll be honest, I was torn between a second hand Nord Modular and the Origin.  The Origin won for one main reason: it's still in production and there is some continuation of development.

Now I appreciate that the Origin is it's own instrument, and I'm not asking for it to be like the Nord.  I prefer the Origin's interface for one thing.  But I definitely agree that a few more contemporary modules in the mix would make this a real killer synth.

But, overall, thanks to Arturia for having the will to bring this synth to market.

Andreas

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 09:37:34 am »
Exatcly. Many people here ask for more and more vintage modules from very special synths that are relevant for just few people. I haven't even heard of some of them... Of course it would be nice to have as many as possible different things in its palette, but I know that Origin has its limits how much stuff it can have inside its architechture. That's why I'd ask what would really make diffenrence to what it is now? IMO it would be those more modern modules and ultrasaw would be the most crucial thing to start with. Still I am waiting Arturia to answer if it's possible or is there some reasons to not have it in future update...

I've messed up with many VA's lately and maybe now I begin to realize the real power of Origin. It has kind of real analog punch and precence in its oscillators and in other modules which many others VAs lack. And on stage (which is my main use for it) it will cut through very well and sound powerful. But those of us who do gigs know very well that on stage the simpler setup is always better. This is a main reason why I'd like to get more modern stuff from Origin; I don't like to add any more hardware to my rig. But now when I don't get everything from Origin well enough, I probably have to keep on searching...

ASch

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 06:25:29 pm »
I agree, a hypersaw waveform on the oscillator would be good.

I'd also like to be able to load my own wave forms into the wave table osc.  And I'd like a grainular oscillator too.  Just for starters  :)

Andreas

IAA

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 08:18:26 pm »
Personally I favour effort focussed on emulating vintage classics, that to me seems Arturia's USP and the benefit of TAE. Most cheap digital synths, or VST's even DAW freebies can mostly cover the supersaw territory. IMHO.

More classics please.

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 08:54:58 pm »
Most cheap digital synths, or VST's even DAW freebies can mostly cover the supersaw territory. IMHO.

Let's put it this way: the most cheap digital synths or VSTs (etc.) can make supersaw better than Origin. This is not to say that they make it well in professional sense. I've tried to really listen to examples from David Guetta, Rihanna etc. and to copy them the as well as I could. I can tell you that this quality is hard to get from these "cheap VSTs".

Other thing is that can Origin do better in principal? I doubt that Origin's reverb algorithm isn't good enough to get "Rihanna saws" but I wish they try anyway. I don't need perfect things at the moment; I could welcome this "cheap VST" quality... ;)

ASch

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 06:32:33 pm »
For me the USP was definitely the modular architecture, not the simulation of classic synth modules. The Origin is a powerful hardware DSP platform and I'd like to see that platform used to its fullest possible extent...

If you're keen on sticking with emulation of real analogue modules, then how about coming bang up to date and looking at what Buchla are doing with their modular synths (wish I could afford one of those beasts!) - we could have complex waveform generators, arbitrary function generators, morphing filters (actually, that last one might be similar to the multimode filter from the SEM, not sure)... well, I can dream :-)

Andreas

Cord

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 01:50:32 am »
While it would be nice to just dial in a SuperSaw, at least Origin gives us the option to build the waveform from scratch.

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 09:36:46 am »
While it would be nice to just dial in a SuperSaw, at least Origin gives us the option to build the waveform from scratch.

In principal yes, but in practise you'll have polyhony issues and in general it seems that those supersaws aren't very succesfull. Check a Supersaw soundbank made by N.Ubukata. I am sorry to say that, but it's not very convinging... On the other hand, I haven't managed much better.

Cord

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 02:26:12 am »
In principal yes, but in practise you'll have polyhony issues and in general it seems that those supersaws aren't very succesfull. Check a Supersaw soundbank made by N.Ubukata. I am sorry to say that, but it's not very convinging... On the other hand, I haven't managed much better.

Same is said about the SuperSaw in the Virus. If you want authentic, just get a JP8000 or SH-201. like I did. After all, the SuperSaw is known in combination with the Roland 12 pole. I haven't heard anything that was convincing but the original.

Like I said, it would be nice to have and when you look back to the thread of ONE thing you are missing or would like to see in the Origin, it was me who pointed out the SuperSaw. I did not get much followship at that point and why should Arturia implement something because of one soul.

Overall, I am not too unhappy with the unit though.

aye_carrrumba

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 03:23:03 pm »
aloha,

i agree with IAA. the origin is doing for me exactly what i want it to do. old classics that can be explored in a way that was not possible years ago. mixing up oscillators and filters and discovering something equal to a super/hyper saw, but not sounding like it.

thanks arturia. keep on adding more old classics, and i will put togethere whatever....

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines